View Poll Results: How do you think your nation is doing this Olympics?

Voters
251. This poll is closed
  • Fantastic!

79 31.47%
  • Better than I expected

21 8.37%
  • About what I expected

78 31.08%
  • Worse than I expected

24 9.56%
  • Terrible!

19 7.57%
  • I'm not watching the Olympics

30 11.95%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    About what I expected - Denmark.

Could we get a few more medals I'd say better than expected

Because we have 1 gold medal from a population of 22 million.

And because we are a bit embarrassed about being 20th on the medal table.

We have decided to join up with New Zealand (a popn of 4 million) with 3 gold medals who are 14 th so far.

It looks better...

WELCOME TO AUS ZEALAND

The Netherlands, as expected.

We didn't win any golds in judo which was maybe hoped for but all the golds we could take have been taken pretty much. Also, we won a gold yesterday in sailing but it doesn't count yet untill tuesday when the medalrace is held. With that in mind we would be top 10 now.
    I think we are aiming for place 10 to 15 with around 8 golds. 1 gymnast, 2 hockey teams and our equestrian team can hopefully manage that. I feel that I am missing something but because week 2 is athletics, it will be hard. We suck at it.

---------- Post added 2012-08-06 at 11:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hasslemoff View Post
    "Olympic Gold medals per million people: CHN: 0.14 GER: 0.61 USA: 0.66 FRA: 1.07 KOR: 1.23 GBR: 1.33"
    I dont get this calculation . You have 1 gold per every 3.81 million people. That is only 0.262 gold per million people. But it is also not total medals. That would be around 0.5

---------- Post added 2012-08-06 at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post

We have decided to join up with New Zealand (a popn of 4 million) with 3 gold medals who are 14 th so far.

It looks better...

WELCOME TO AUS ZEALAND

Hehe, the Dutch often compare themselves to Australia since you guys are a big sporting nation with similar numbers. I think though that we hardly ever beat you but then again, we have athletes in the winter games as well .

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone with dual nationality:

Britain - fantastic, but I expected that as funding has increased (apparently inversely to Australia lolololol) and we are hosts.

Cyprus - can't vote as there isn't a ZOMG. Guaranteed at least a silver - outside chance of gold - but it's their FIRST EVER MEDAL!!! (in the modern Olympics anyway).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post

It looks better...

WELCOME TO AUS ZEALAND

hahahaha.

didn't one Aus news paper put "naughty Korea" and "good korea" aswell?

---------- Post added 2012-08-06 at 02:48 PM ----------

Kazakhstan is badass. 6gold, no silver/bronze. just gold. fucking bad ass.

Deleted
    Really glad that Britain is doing well We were doing terrible at the start and then every event I ended up watching we ended up getting a gold in it, my magic viewing powers :P

Not #1 in medals or gold, so I'd say terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    Back in Molten Core in Vanilla, about 20 people up and the rest still being ressed. Cidet, our rogue, goes in stealth and moves up to Ragnaros. About 5 seconds later, Ragnaros aggroes and starts killing all of us again. Everyone is pissed and I whisper Cidet "wtf happened?!". All he replies me is...

"Target has no pockets"

Deleted
    5 more medals and I'm going with "Fantastic". I doubt it'll happen though, but I'm still quite satisfied.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very good. I thought we'd have a rather mediocre olympics and the slow start seemed to confirm that but now we're doing great

Russia is doing very good and actually better than I expected. I expected us to be 3-4 and this is where we are now - it was obvious that we couldn't really comete with China and US and the previous games showed that the home team always overperform so we are right where we should be (and I warried that we couldn't make it).

Also, I love too see US beat China as I want them to stay at the top as long as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    The great U.S.A is doing splendidly as we usually do (I take partial credit for our success). I haven't been able to watch as much of the games as I'd like but I saw most of the swimming events and watched Serena Williams roflstomp Sharapova for the gold (you go girl!). Phelps making history.

We finally moved into the lead with gold medals now too (China was #1) and we have the most overall medals.

Go U.S.A! Also, kudos to the host nation! G.B. is racking up the medals too (Andy Murray!!!)

Last edited by Bavol; 2012-08-10 at 02:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not watching the olympics, i don't find any of the events appealing at all, unlike the winter ones.. with that said, Canada is doing alright.. nice to hear we did get a bronze in soccer

10+ Year Old Account
    USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

we da best
    ill probably be infracted for this post

10+ Year Old Account
    Being in the top 10 would mean we're doing good..... But I rate us as doing once again horrible. Germany

Deleted
    Quite disappointed now. We got to 9 medals quite fast but we haven't gotten any the last 4 days or so, I think we'll end at 9. Overall I'd give our performance a B+, was expecting 10-12 medals.

In australia i would say we arent doing to well... We are generally better in the pool. but this olympics we are doing shit
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypro View Post
    In australia i would say we arent doing to well... We are generally better in the pool. but this olympics we are doing shit
    Aren't Australia performing pretty much as they use to do? 31 medals is not bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me it always looks like the US does a fine job at the Olympics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Werrezer View Post
    Aren't Australia performing pretty much as they use to do? 31 medals is not bad.
    Their gold total is very much down on where it should be. Especially after a terrible swim meet.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Being in the top 10 would mean we're doing good..... But I rate us as doing once again horrible. Germany
    Don't know if some press outside germany took notice of the "trouble" over here.
    Germany spends about 500 Mio € a year for sport funding - 132 Mio € are just for the olympic preparation programs this year and another 240 Mio € from the army where about 40% of all our olympic athletes work (they get special sponsorship there).
    In return the german olympic sports association (DOSB) negotiates the expected number of winnable medals for this annually support. These numbers were top secret till before yesterday when through some sort of Freedom of Information Act the targeted objectives hab to be made public.

They expected 86 medals whereof 28 should be golden. We are currently at 10 gold medals and 43 overall! Extremely underperforming or totally overdrawn expectations?

The aroused debate is following and perhaps worth an own topic: Whilst Great Britain is performing extremely well, they (over)supported their olympic athletes with billions of pounds from the national lottery for example. Every medal the british athletes won is far more expensive than a hungarian medal i.e.

So what's a medal worth for your society?