Deleted

A Guide to fitting into the RIFT Community

Hello There!, My name is Seatin and I'm here today to talk to any new WOW players interested in joining RIFT and fitting into the community!

Now Recently around the RIFT official forums there have been some interesting post's of some rather 'Elite' Ex-WOW players...

Quote Originally Posted by Clownin
    Hi, Most know me as Clownin, but the rest can just refer to me as the future of cleric healing. I'm very knowledgeable in the trade of "Hard Content" Healing. I'm 8/8 H DS & 7/7 H FL . I have many healer builds to switch to but by far the best is my new hybrid build the "Cam Newton Before The Draft" .

As most already know, I am Searching for an End Game Raiding Guild with rift & given the right opportunity, i will shine & surpass most. I will snipe your healers making them feel embarrassed to play, Out Cleanse before most even acknowledge that the debuff needs to be dispelled. Yes, you guessed it, that also means i do pad meters. Most people say i will go OOM or my Gear isnt up to par with most but I have away around that. 85% of most MMO'ers say gear > Skill but i'm here to tell you you're wrong. My Skill alone surpasses that of most HC's. No i'm not talking about joining <No Quarters> & being carried. I'm Looking for End Game Progression, Joining Guilds that have completed it take the "skill" out of actually downing it when it was relevent not 3 patches later.

TL;DR - Future of the Healing Cleric LF End Game Guild, Plan on skipping T1. To easy for my strafe

Clownin
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by Implying
    As an upcoming cleric raider, I'm curious about the health of top raiding guilds.

I pretty much intend to become the top cleric in all of Rift.

Now I was one of the top Shadow priests in WoW so I'm qualified enough to pass judgment on the healing in any game.

I've seen a lot of these raiding guilds videos, and they are littered with mistakes, even at the highest end of guilds.

So I'm very concerned that there really isn't any skilled hardcore raiding scene in this game.

In general, the biggest deficit appears to be cleric healers, who either seem to run arbatrarily random specs or fail at running the so-called 'bread and butter' specs. NOBODY appears to be running what is the best for bringing the biggest raid heals, which is http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...tf0zoM.Ez0o.-7 As you can see. Speccing into cabalist maximises your spell damage to increase the healing gains via reparation. Similar to Vampiric Embrace in the shadow priest tree. Talenting shadows touch will give you better reparation healing especially on bosses with adds.

Shared recovery as well. For focused quick healing on raid members.

I've looked at the senticar build you people have 'theory crafted' and realised that raid healers should NOT be wasting their short time and talent points on main tank healing. Healing invocation is a main tank healing ability correct? Similar to Greater Heal.

After a few simple tests http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...kEItdqz.E.V.-7 comes out on top for maximised healing gains. Crit bonus will be undeniably useless when you are trying to spec for spellpower gains when main tank healing.

People have to learn to use and understand my specs I have provided for the raiding scene.
    Source

Now needless to say the first guy is still without a guild as he believes that the majority of guilds are not 'good enough for him' and refuses to work his way to the top.

And the second guy... Well he just got trolled a lot.

This is because to RIFT has been out for a year! it has it's own set of Achievements and Goals, I would say the larger majority of guilds don't give a monkey's if you're '8/8 HC DS', So my advice to you would be to save you're bragging of WOW progress for sites such as match.com and facebook.

So how to fit into the RIFT community...

• Don't presume just because you've raided in a different game, do not presume you know everything about raiding in RIFT and can dive straight into the 'deep end', Do the lower Tier raids work you're way up and be willing to learn!
    • Don't be full of yourself, Nobody likes somebody who think's they are a zillion times better than everyone else and just looks down and treats everyone with disrespect
    • Be friendly and outgoing, the best way to have fun in any MMO really is to have a large circle of friend's and connections that you can raid/solicalise/play with
    • Be Willing to learn and take constructive criticism, I know you may of just come from being the 'Super Elitist WOW raider in the world' but you can't presume you know everything at level 13 compared to people have spent a year and a half playing RIFT theory crafting for days on end. It's good to invent you're own builds and post them on the forums, but be prepared that you're probably going to recieve a lot of feedback on tweaks and improvements that can be made
    • Watch Zykor's Livestream and make an Amusing forum signature with his face on, everyone know's that all the cool kids are in on the Zykor banter...

Spreading the Zykor love to the wider world.

I approve.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Spreading the Zykor love to the wider world.

I approve.
    Gotta love a bit of Zykor...

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great post and too true, Seatin! I think a lot of the more hardcore WoW raiders are used to being able to easily skip content without even thinking about it, as it has been that way for the past two expansions, and don't realize how different the raiding scene in Rift truly is. Rift's raiding is much like WoW:TBC's, and as such, if one wants to run Black Temple/Infernal Dawn, one must first have some fun in Greenscale's Blight/Karazhan, etc etc.

Not to mention, a fair few people I've met on Rift never played WoW (they were playing stuff like EQ2) and all along have thought WoW as being dumb/too easy/lolPandas. As you said in the first post, people need to save boasting about their achievements/raiding prowess in WoW for Match.com/Facebook, as no one in Rift gives a flying f. I've told some of my friends in Rift about how I used to be a pretty good shadow priest in WoW and was in a higher level raiding guild on one of the most populated shards, and I think it is because I am one of their friends that all I got in return was a "meh that's cool I guess."

So this guide is a very smart thing to make indeed, as anyone coming from WoW, especially higher tier WoW players, need to know these facts about our community. We're open, but if you're going to come in telling us about how awesome your panda is, you'll get laughed right out the door.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I never really played a healer in WoW. Is there any REAL similarity between WoW healers and Chloros or -icars? I know there's been opportunities for AoE healing specs in WoW, but I'm not sure anything compares to the expected necessity that is an -icar/Chloro or Warden spec in terms of raiding, where 3/4s of your raid healers are AoE specced and expected to provide damage along the way.

I don't mean to imply it's an entirely new paradigm, but its not the kind playstyle I remember healers dealing with during Wrath (when last i raided) or Cata, when all I did were a few 5-mans. It's also the reason I can't take any WoW healer seriously when they treat Rift like an extension of their former MMO.

Anyway, sorry if that's a bit off-topic.

I am new to rift - still in that first month, and I really have no problems with the game or complaints. Except one - the community - but I can work through that for such an awesome game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw plenty of AoE healing in WoW, the only healers I don't recall doing much AoE healing were the disc priests.

---------- Post added 2012-08-02 at 03:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I am new to rift - still in that first month, and I really have no problems with the game or complaints. Except one - the community - but I can work through that for such an awesome game.
    hehe, it gets better in the level 50 channel. Some folks associate 1-29 as a channel for noobs coming from WoW, so some people are less welcoming. (This bugs me a bit.)

What shard are you on?
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I saw plenty of AoE healing in WoW, the only healers I don't recall doing much AoE healing were the disc priests.

---------- Post added 2012-08-02 at 03:26 PM ----------

hehe, it gets better in the level 50 channel. Some folks associate 1-29 as a channel for noobs coming from WoW, so some people are less welcoming. (This bugs me a bit.)

What shard are you on?
    Oh no, I totally get there was AoE healing for WoW, my question was, were AoE WoW healers expected to pull X DPS as well? The majority of Rift raid healers are only healing groups by building charges through damage, or damage to healing conversions. It's not a playstyle I associated with WoW, and a far cry from the 'just keep the tank alive' healing that one, maybe 2 players in a raid are responsible for.

Oh man, that guy is on my server. Such an awesome troll, people just eat up anything he says. Clownin is A numba 1 big boss.

Deleted
    "Dont need a map or a guide to know what to do"

I mean how hard can it be? Most of all to reach the top in any mmo it's pretty much just about time and dedication. Rift is easy if you got some kind of skill and lots of spare time you want to spend progressing in game. Why Rift is easy is because it's a relatively small game, and you can pretty much count the dedicated people who played from scratch and are hardcore on your fingers. I can't determine their skill or whatever, because I know how hard it is for new players to catch up and I haven't investigated pve in the game more than I heard endgame raids never was faceroll.
    Might need some social work as well like keeping a guild together, organizing raids and stuff and that adds up big in dedication.

I can imagine that if you were a hardcore raider in any other game, or played competitive in any other game and you started playing rift when it was released you might be considered a skilled person.
    And ofc, as always in group... being an elitists only work if you got enough people who like you already =)

But once you start play Rift, guilds stand there with open arms and ask for your time and dedication and I bet that if you are willing to go down that path you will have no problem ending up in the top core in Rift. However, most people don't think it's worth it and that's why Rift got a quite lonely top of likeminded people who have been around longer than any other.
    It's possible for someone who join Rift today and play 10+ hours a day to make a name of themselves in Rift if they want to, easier than in wow for example which got more players and who want to know you and who cares? In Rift you are heaven sent because the more dedicated people they find that are focused on progressing in game, the easier it will be to progress,

See, did we need a guide for this or isnt it obvious?=)

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for posting this. This thread made me laught on a really awfull afternoon down here in Argentina.

Side note, prolly off topic, but I got bored out of healing in wow quite fast, but I love being chloro a BUNCH
    My Rogue

Veni, vidi, vici.

I like MoP now c:

Deleted
    Good post. Also, are you the guy I just saw in Conquest going "kill me, kill me, kill please" followed by "thank you" if not - you have a nametwin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akamhara View Post
    Good post. Also, are you the guy I just saw in Conquest going "kill me, kill me, kill please" followed by "thank you" if not - you have a nametwin.
    errmmm yea that was me , but thank you for killing me!, it allowed me to port straight back to the Oathsworn base, then take the portal to briarcliff wood's and tag the last foci =)

10+ Year Old Account
    I do love just running into another team and having to BEG for them to kill me. It's like, wtf? WHY AREN'T YOU ALL ATTACKING ME. =|
    "A flower.

You dont actually think the posters in either of those were being serious do you? The second in particular, just looking at his post history should tell you he's blatantly trolling (and he did a pretty good job to be honest).

Besides, the most important thing to do in Rift is never, ever say anything complimentary about Blizzard or WoW. People jump all over you for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by russykh View Post
    Besides, the most important thing to do in Rift is never, ever say anything complimentary about Blizzard or WoW. People jump all over you for that.
    Not True, I think just about everyone in the RIFT Community compliments Blizzard on this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    Not True, I think just about everyone in the RIFT Community compliments Blizzard on this
    Sooo.... unoriginal to the point of depending on internet memes to come up with new things in the game? =|
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    This is because to RIFT has been out for a year! it has it's own set of Achievements and Goals, I would say the larger majority of guilds don't give a monkey's if you're '8/8 HC DS'
    I feel like raiding guilds would want to know this stuff, these guys just go about it in the totally wrong way. Those guys are just dicks about it and should probably know better by know.

One question I see on guild applications across all games is something like "What other games have you played and what have you achieved in them?" It can show that you take raiding seriously and that you're capable of accomplishing the same kind of goals on a similar playing field. I'm not saying this replaces achievements earned in Rift an applicant should have, but it can supplement it. It's something I look for in applications to my WoW guild, because even though we require recruits to have all the current PVE achievements, knowing they have a long history of gaming is really important. In my experience, players with MMO experience outside of WoW are generally better players than those who have only played WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Sooo.... unoriginal to the point of depending on internet memes to come up with new things in the game? =|
    You're telling me you don't think this is pretty cool? Companies do stuff like this all the time. It's a nice little nod to internet popular culture that remind players that the people behind the game aren't all mindless robots, but are people who are just as aware and involved with the same things as the players are (or appear to be at least).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    You're telling me you don't think this is pretty cool? Companies do stuff like this all the time. It's a nice little nod to internet popular culture that remind players that the people behind the game aren't all mindless robots, but are people who are just as aware and involved with the same things as the players are (or appear to be at least).
    I suppose that is true, but I don't know, I just feel like Blizzard has been having trouble being creative for quite a while now and I'd really like to see something truly creative. I suppose it is cool'esque, but meh.
    "A flower.