Deleted

Need help/advice with WoW... (My problem)

Hallo mmo champ. Im making this thread because im considering to quit WoW but i dont know how to.
    I'v been playing since 2007 and most of my days have been spend on the game. Now I dont have a problem with the game nor does the game affect my real life much ... The main reason for my game quit would probably be because of my dad always being around buzzing at me and telling me that I need to quit and spend more time on stuff like homework (even though i complete all my homework and prioritize it).
    I am not getting low grades so I never saw a problem with that and have always tried to ignore him, but i've simply just grown tired of listening to him the past 6 years complaining about the game when he has no idea what he is talking about..... (I dont think that he has ever tried a vide-game since he is kind of the "old-genaration" who only believes that things should be done the way they used to be, back in the days....."

My real-life friends/classmates have the same habits as me. We mainly discuss subjects which are wow-related and quiting wow would maybe also slowly kill the friendship i've got going with em. Not saying that they wouldnt care about me.. but just the fact that I would not be on skype ever night and do stuff ingame with them and not be as social with them anymore.

Should i quit? How? I am asking on MMO since all those wikianswered-guides are from unexperienced people who does not seem to know what they are talking about:P
    Also i'd love to have some spare time but cannot see what to spend it on since every day the past 6 years have mainly been about WoW.
    (btw im 17)

Thanks!

Sorry for slacky english

If you quit wow your dad will nag you about a different thing. parent(s) are going to tell you what to do even if they have no idea what they are talking about. your parent(s) will nag you regardless of what you do. it's their job.

If you are addicted to wow, then find something else to do. I'm not saying to quit, just reduce the time you spend playing wow.

If you enjoy playing wow, then keep on playing. If you follow every piece of advice your parent(s) say, you will be miserable. If you follow none of your parent(s) advice, then you will be and uneducated slacker. part of becoming an adult is making decisions for yourself. If you think playing wow is hurting you, then play less wow.

Had the same with my dad in my earliere years, trough I was addicted, and didnt care. Bad attitude sure In the end I got to raid as much as I wanted anyway at times. He didnt start to bother me until TBC kinda

Just tell him that gaming is important to you, and he dosen't see that, well hes a jerk

10+ Year Old Account
    Well first and foremost do not quit if *you* don't want to. If it you still enjoy playing the game and you're just considering leaving because of your dad I would strongly advise talking to him and saying what you pointed out here.

You don't fail at school and don't get into any other trouble because of the game, you enjoy playing it and it's what you and your friends do as a form of socializing/hobby. Try to see if there's another reason he dislikes it, but in a nutshell his attitude is a little bs.

If you do end up quitting, there's plenty of things to do out there for a 17 y/o. You could try socializing a bit more, i.e. go out for a movie or drink with friends or something (yh, yh.. underage drinking and all that. Real life we're talking about here). You could try picking up a sport that interests you, reading some books... the possibilities are endless. Provided - again - that you want to do something else and are not just quitting because of your dad.

As a parent and a gamer I can see both sides of the coin. I do limit my school age childs internet time and I doubt I would let her play a game like wow until she was 18. Because I know about its addictive nature. That being said I can appreciate the love of wow and like games from someone who has been playing them a long time. I would be hard to find something to fill that void. Perhaps spend a little time doing something else like another small hobby/sport. Generally when I see my daughter only focusing on one thing it bothers me a lot more than when I see her doing the that same activity less often as well as some other things.

Deleted
    If you're enjoyg WoW and it's not affecting your grades, and you have a pool of social friends who are also gamers, so it's not totally gimping you socially, then I don't think you should quit just because your dad doesn't understand gaming.

At the end of the day, in a year or two you will either be off to university or getting a job and then you're going to find life changes a lot and you're likely to cut back on your gaming time anyway.

Your dad is only nagging you and annoying you about it because he doesn't understand, probably thinks it's a negative influence and he wants whats best for you. When I was a teenager my mom used to constantly get upset about the amount of time I spent at the PC. Now I'm getting old, married, family, career, and I'm still a big gamer and she's come to understand that it didn't ruin my life and it's not going to and she feels a bit silly I think for worrying about it so much - but worrying is what parents are good at.

So when he's nagging you just try not to let it annoy you, just remember he cares and that he's trying to do the right thing and don't let it get you down.

If it ever becomes a negative influence to the point where it does affect your grades/real life then is the time to think about scaling back or quitting.

Just mention to ur dad that you thought about what he said and that you need to get out into the real world. My friends are saying alchohol and drugs are so much better then gaming so I am going to try it out.

Deleted
    Best way to quit is to take away everything that you need to play the game, just uninstall wow and break the gams and throw them away. If that doesnt work then consider selling your computer?

Deleted
    I am a 51 year old father - I play WoW and BF3 - my wife also plays WoW - my son who is now 14 does not play as much as we do.

He doesn't play as much as we do purely because the friends he talks to on Skype often want to go out and do other things and he goes too.

Really the only suggestions we can offer are to find other things outside of the PC gaming environment to do be it fly a kite or anything that falls within your interests ( within reason )

You don't have to quit completely just allocate certain times to playing WoW - I play the game to support raiding - i gather mats to make raiding easier for the guild i am in - 3 nights a week we raid the other nights/days I go out walking with our dog - bake cakes - fly kites and watch TV etc - there are lots of things to do its just a case of doing them and playing WoW less.

life is all about different experiences. i play WoW, i love my experiences in WoW. but its just another experience. for guys like you still in school, dude, there is SO SO much you have not experienced. for now, since you're still living at home, it's something to do for sure. but when your life changes and you move out, hopefully you will have so much to do and experience besides WoW.

that's the key i think: to be open to NEW experiences. you opened yourself to WoW and are enjoying it, that's fine. im right there with you. however, DON'T LET IT BE YOUR ONLY EXPERIENCE and DON'T LET IT HOLD YOU BACK FROM EXPERIENCING OTHER THINGS. keep this mindset and you'll be fine and balanced.

next time your dad nags you...instead of brushing him off, say something like, "yea i spend lots of time on the computer. how's bout we go do something together?" chances are, he'll either love the idea or he'll hate it and stop nagging you. either way, you win.
    Last edited by rnbwtrout; 2012-08-10 at 12:38 PM.

you shouldnt quit just because your dad is talking about that game.
    if you quit you would maybe just play other games and he would say the same about them.
    playing with classmates is the best gaming expirience ive ever had and should not be quitted

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephixa View Post
    Best way to quit is to take away everything that you need to play the game, just uninstall wow and break the gams and throw them away. If that doesnt work then consider selling your computer?
    That is such a silly reply in an otherwise friendly and helpful thread *sigh* the internet strikes again...