Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

State success in Olympics

Having a random discussion with the Olympics and the idea of, How would a Europe Union team do in the Olympics? Which would require each nation to downgrade to being a state rather than country. This would never happen however it made me think about another question.

Which State in the United States is the most successful in producing Olympians? Which state won the most medals at the Olympics in 2008? or currently in London? (Of course this would leave a slight problem as to which state would get the medal for team events or even have each member have a medal to count to their state for the purpose of this.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Michael Phelps is from Maryland so I'm guessing this Olympics a good chunk would go there. I don't know about other Olympics.

The European Union is also dissimilar to the way the United States operates. EU nations still are independent.

Deleted
    For Britain I would say Cornwall, Yorkshire and London have been our biggest medal hauls I think.

Do you mean like where an athlete was born or where they currently live/train?

Well Colorado has 26 people competing, so far they got 6 golds and 1 bronze...so I think it's good so far.
    4% of US Olympians are from Colorado 20% of golds so far are earned by Colorado (1 gold is from a team), 11% of all (US) medals are from Colorado, Colorado has 1.4% of all medals. Thank you Missy Franklin .
    Last edited by Drekker17; 2012-08-06 at 04:41 AM.

Galin Rupp is from Oregon, he is 1 year older then i am and i was competing at many of the same invitational track&field meets he was at.

he would lap people in the 5000 and 10000, and when its like the top 15-20 runners from the state and he laps all of them its kind of amazing to watch in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    Well Colorado has 26 people competing, so far they got 6 golds and 1 bronze...so I think it's good so far.
    4% of US Olympians are from Colorado 20% of golds so far are earned by Colorado (1 gold is from a team), 11% of all medals are from Colorado. Thank you Missy Franklin .
    Man it's awesome to be able to call myself a Coloradan. Missy Franklin is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephixa View Post
    For Britain I would say Cornwall, Yorkshire and London have been our biggest medal hauls I think.
    I think the direct comparison would be Scotland, England, Wales, N.Ireland rather than the cities that produced them ^^. England has by far the biggest concentration of people, London alone has almost the population of Scotland and Wales combined so with that said it's no surprise that England has the greatest concentration of athletes on the GB team.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    It's honestly very hard to say

Saw this first question and counted all the european gold medals. Without russia+turkey i counted 71, more then double that of china now .

Edit: I count 70 for Asia. GO EUROPE!

Edit 2: also counted them for beijing. 111 gold for asia vs 106 for europe
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2012-08-07 at 07:41 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    Saw this first question and counted all the european gold medals. Without russia+turkey i counted 71, more then double that of china now .

Edit: I count 70 for Asia. GO EUROPE!
    Doesn't really work like that though. That would be like Canada counting the US and all the Caribbean nations medals as well. Just not how the Olympics works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap View Post
    Man it's awesome to be able to call myself a Coloradan. Missy Franklin is legit.
    Now, if they could only talk to her without spending half the interview talking about justin bieber...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Doesn't really work like that though. That would be like Canada counting the US and all the Caribbean nations medals as well. Just not how the Olympics works.
    Well your no fun .

And N. America only got 50 medals in beijing so that doesnt even matter. Its is pretty funny that it is so close to asia though
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2012-08-07 at 07:53 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well your no fun .

And N. America only got 50 medals in beijing so that doesnt even matter. Its is pretty funny that it is so close to asia though
    What are you talking about? The United States got over 100 on it's own. Factor in other nations and it's well over 150.

Well your no fun .

Um what? Just the U.S. got 110 medals in Beijing.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know lol. It's kind of funny though because it seems all other sports here are State vs State. So you think we would keep track of which state brings in the most medals. I'm sure there is a chart somewhere on the internet, but it's not something I've ever really thought about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you can look at it as a State vs State thing. The current system causes athlete's to move from state to state because of training which only exists in a national team setup. In a system designed to push for State recognition that would not happen so often.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyzor View Post
    Um what? Just the U.S. got 110 medals in Beijing.
    Ehm, 50 golds. I counted golds alone since 10 golds counts for more then 9 golds and 20 silvers according to the medal rankings.

The medals for Europe and Asia that I counted are both for just gold as well.

Also, the US gets a lot of medals but the second highest is Jamaica with 6 golds. Doesn't really do much when you have China, Russia, S. Korea all in Asia.

You can't count both North and South america in your American calculations because that counts as 2 continents, Canada is fair enough as it's part of North America, and I suppose Jamaica counts as North America too?. Russia is a weird one in that it spans both Europe and Asia.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2012-08-08 at 10:16 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    You can't count both North and South america in your American calculations because that counts as 2 continents, Canada is fair enough as it's part of North America, and I suppose Jamaica counts as North America too?. Russia is a weird one in that it spans both Europe and Asia.
    I counted North America as Canada, US, Mexico, those smaller countries up to Panama + all the carribean isles (including T&T, ABC isles).
    However, even with both America's, I doubt it would reach the same amount as Europe/Asia though. Brazil and Argentina actually didn't have that many golds if I am not mistaken. edit: looking quickly, it would only add about 5 gold medals (3 brazil, 2 argentina).

I counted both Turkey and Russia as Asia since that is where most of the landmass is + when I first counted Europe I was thinking of the OP's European union team.
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2012-08-08 at 10:50 AM.