Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Not to the people being killed...
    Well shit, I guess it's time to start bashing the Germans every time they complain about Iraq. Yeehaw! Good times acomin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Well shit, I guess it's time to start bashing the Germans every time they complain about Iraq. Yeehaw! Good times acomin'!
    Why would Germans complain about Iraq?

Well yeah, if they start bragging about about being morally superior I feel it is fair to bring up what they did in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alot of these comments are new and exciting.
    For the night is dark and full of terrors

The Crusades and slavery and the "colonization" of the western hemisphere say hi to the rest of Europe too if we are going to go this route.

and why do we discuss fictional wars x vs x over and over again? It doesn't matter, nobody knows what would happen anyway and if such a thing as WW3 should happen, humans would nuke themselves into stone age so it would be meaningless...

Quote Originally Posted by alkyd View Post
    China is not a poor country. If there was any kind of threat to their security they would start preparing. May be they don't have the necessary technology to produce weapons but they can always buy them from allies.
    That is exactly what they have been doing. Buying tech from other countries. TECH THAT IS 30-40 YEARS OLD and completely outclassed. They have been working on their own armaments industry, but that isn't something that can just be created overnight. Or in decade even. And you can't just buy Virginia class subs, or F-22s on the international market. Most, if not all, of the really sophisticated tech is produced in the US or in conjunction with its very close allies, none of which have the ability or inclination to sell to other markets. Countries that develop their own capabilities are not going give away their advantages by selling to other countries unless they are already making a superior version and have a way to counter the tech they just sold. Hell the entire hold up on the F-35 program revolves around a distribution of IT systems to partnering countries (i.e. close allies), and the US doesn't want it to happen. Very few countries actually produce their own military hardware, and those that do are still limited in capacity or are far behind the US in technology. The vast majority of military hardware in the world right now is outdated US and Soviet Cold War-era surplus. Some countries like Israel purchase older US hardware and improve the capabilities and IT systems, but these are still older platforms. It takes an immense amount of expertise, funding and time to build a hardware platform (such as the F-22) from the ground up, and no one is remotely close to US capabilities. China may develop some impressive home-grown capabilities another 30 years of concentrated effort, but their "official" military budget is still less than 1/5 of the US, so while they are improving their capabilities the US is doing so at a faster rate.

I know US bashing is the "cool" thing to do on these forums, but US military dominance is not going to be challenged by any country anytime soon. That isn't to say that smart countries would even try. The way to hurt the US is through its soft underbelly, not through the invulnerable outer shell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    The Crusades and slavery and the "colonization" of the western hemisphere say hi to the rest of Europe too if we are going to go this route.
    Yeah, I'm mixed, so I get to talk about slavery for the rest of my life. Reparations plox.

Yeah, I'm mixed, so I get to talk about slavery for the rest of my life. Reparations plox.
    Well yeah, people still talk about slavery over here in the US.

Why wouldn't they...?

There's no difference to the people being killed historically or now. But there is a difference to any rational person trying to judge two current entities. The people doing the killing then are not the people doing the killing now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because slavery hasn't existed on every single continent? Not to mention some of the crusades were results of Muslim aggression and colonization was not the first massive expansionist system put in; see Mongols.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    I know US bashing is the "cool" thing to do on these forums, but US military dominance is not going to be challenged by any country anytime soon. That isn't to say that smart countries would even try. The way to hurt the US is through its soft underbelly, not through the invulnerable outer shell.
    Bashing US adversaries is very popular on these forums too.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    There's no difference to the people being killed historically or now. But there is a difference to any rational person trying to judge two current entities. The people doing the killing then are not the people doing the killing now.
    True, but people don't just forget what a government / people / nation did in the past. Nor do they always forgive it..

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Because slavery hasn't existed on every single continent? Not to mention some of the crusades were results of Muslim aggression and colonization was not the first massive expansionist system put in; see Mongols.
    That doesn't make it any better.

Plus I only brought it up to show how ridiculous it is to bring up things that happened such a long time ago. No country is innocent.

That doesn't make it any better.

Plus I only brought it up to show how ridiculous it is to bring up things that happened such a long time ago. No country is innocent.

"No country is innocent." Exactly! Yet, people still claim that one country is morally superior to another...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alkyd View Post
    Yeah and whole population of the U.S. are highly advanced trained soldiers.
    I don't know a single American that plans his food consumption for the year based upon some well-timed wades out into the rice paddy. I'm not talking about soldiers. I'm talking about culture...

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't know a single American that plans his food consumption for the year based upon some well-timed wades out into the rice paddy. I'm not talking about soldiers. I'm talking about culture...

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Your saying the average US citizen would make better soldiers?

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    But they already knew they weren't there so you are wrong, they did it because of retaliation/oil there was no legal reason for the US to do it.

---------- Post added 2012-08-07 at 07:07 PM ----------

I don't think you should lecture anyone on grammar.
    We went into Iraq for WMDs, but we ended up liberating the place anyway. It is a better place now and we have the gratitude of most Iraqis for doing it. I can't stand the cliche anti-America types from Europe who keep saying "L@L YOU DID IT FOR OIL nyah."

That's just beyond pure imbecility. We liberated Iraq with American blood and treasure, and it is now a key ally of ours in the MEast.

Quote Originally Posted by fender010 View Post
    Isn't it great when you make even a small cough about another country and get infracted, but report someone nation bashing the US and it goes unnoticed?

Follow your own rules please (not directed at you Skarssen).
    Did you get infracted? I did get. But for bashing U.S. So you're wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Know what the last country to have legal slavery was?

Tibet and the dalai lama.

Somehow that never gets mentioned that he was leader of a country that had slaves, before the Chinese rolled in and dismantled their government.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.