Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Community.

Alot of Comedies these days tend to get stale after the first few seasons, which is why I find it hard to rate because shows like Family Guy, How I met your mother lost alot of value after the first 4-5 seasons, whereas Community is only at No.3 so it might still have that drop-off (Especially with the Show Creator being Fired and 2 of the main producers/directors leaving).

It probably tops Big Bang Theory by just a touch, but only because the WHOLE cast of Community is awesome, whereas Jim Parsons IS The Big Bang Theory.

better off ted

Deleted
    I often feel like Big Bang Theory is getting a bit over-hyped. It's good but it's far, far off from the likes of classic shows such as Cheers, M*A*S*H, Seinfeld or even Friends. To me it's just another decent comedy filler show like Scrubs or Malcolm in the Middle (both I never really liked).

Personally I'd go with Entourage, it's well written, has a continuous story, character progression and most of all had very likable characters with individual stories keeping you chasing that next episode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Personally How I met Your Mother and the Big Bang Theory are the 2 I watch and I love both of them probably due to the fact I am in the age range they are intended for which is early 30's. I did enjoy Scrubs and I like Psych as well.

Deleted
    American dad, Simpsons, Family guy and scrubs. Those are my top comedy series.

Significant Sitcom: The Office (UK) and Arrested Development.

I haven't watched the UK's original Office, but I assume both of these shows were the biggest influence on things like self-referential humor regarding plot progression, camera work, and recent takes on "dysfunctional" environments.

(Just because- Most wide reaching cartoon: South Park
    Most culturally significant sketch show: Chappelle's Show

You'd think Comedy Central was really the best comedy channel because of these shows, hah!)
    Personally: I do like what I've seen of "How I Met Your Mother". I may watch more of it, except I tire of NPH's "I'm awesome because I say so" half real/half scripted characters. He's probably responsible for a lot of that stuff in other shows ever since Harold and Kumar came out, though.
    Last edited by Confirm Deny; 2012-08-07 at 02:58 AM.

What is going on here. All these posts and not one mention of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

I'll admit that Season 6/7 have gone downhill slightly, but 1-5 are comedy gold. I know peoples opinions differ but... not one mention? I doubt a comedy show will ever top it for me.

Runners up would be Parks & Rec, South Park, The Office, Archer, Arrested Development... couple others. Funny that the second poster mentioned Seinfeld as the "end-all" best comedy. I'll admit I haven't seen enough episodes to give a perfect opinion, but I've seen plenty and it just doesn't strike me as funny that often. Same with the Simpsons, which I'll probably get flamed for... it's good, but not that good. Comedy ages... and not for the better. Which now I realize I sort of contradict myself with what I said earlier about Always Sunny, but... we'll see.

Whos line is it anyway!
    I've no idea what to write here.

Ah. I did forget It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

It's funny you say that about Seinfeld though, because- Try to take my opinion seriously here for a moment - Sunny is like Seinfeld if all the characters were TWICE as self-absorbed and ALWAYS idiotic when interacting with other people. Others probably feel different. I think the basic "Piss someone off, whole episode revolves around that point" scheme is more easily noticeable in Seinfeld and Sunny together.

Having the one complete idiot as a main cast member has become an even larger staple in comedy shows this decade, I think. That's probably important to note.

Edit: And I agree with Vizzle's take on Seinfeld. I tried to think of characters in sitcoms (you may have noticed), and like I said: Heavy focus on the idiot bein a main character and SUPER DYSFUNCTION everywhere these days.

Edit 2: I guess the dysfunctional family has always been a staple, but it's a matter of degree and situation. People generally don't have the "Family" sitcom as a favorite anymore. It's more about the groups of friends ever since Seinfeld.
    Last edited by Confirm Deny; 2012-08-07 at 03:08 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    For me, Top Gear (UK).

The difference between Seinfeld and everything else is that other shows try their hardest to put the characters in absolutely strange situations, and all the characters have personalities that no one would really have. Seinfeld is normal but still hilarious; social commentary without the need to make the world seem like a crazy place. It's just that the writing is amazing and doesn't need stupid gimmicks -- the only crazy thing about Seinfeld is Kramer.

Seinfeld is HANDS DOWN the funniest show ever. Nevermind what time period. But in the last 10 years? I'm going to have to say Two and A Half Men(with charlie sheen), The League, and Family Guy.

No possible way I could choose between: Arrested Development, Californication, Community, Archer, and Ugly Americans.

On a somewhat related note, is Ugly Americans ever coming back?!

*Edit- How could I have left out Always Sunny and Better Off Ted? I am personally ashamed.

10+ Year Old Account
    trailer park boys! not only the best comedy series of the last 10 years but also greatest canadian tv series ever produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Family Guy more consistently gets a chuckle from me than anything else.

Arrested Development was the most clever.

Family Guy LITERALLY was good until I became an adult. It was like right before I turned 19 that I just got fed up with it. I just didn't find it funny at all because it's pretty much in the same vein of South Park. There's something to be found that's clever, but it's mostly just grabbing laughs from a foul-mouthed child, generally foul-mouthed stuff, raunchy whatever, or pure stupidity. There's just too much reliance on its status as "edgy," at least to me. There isn't much to laugh at when you do the same kind of stuff OVER and OVER and OVER again.

3. Arrested Development
    2. South Park
    1. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

The episode where Frank was in the RV bathroom on acid is probably one of the funniest things I have ever seen on television.

ER, most definitely!
    "I am chivalrous proportional to the size of breasts." -Orissa

10+ Year Old Account
    Seinfeld was terrible.
    Glad i'm not alone, so tired of people looking at me like i'm an alien or something when I say I can't stand that show.

I'm really not sure what comedy series i liked the best over the past 10 years, there's so many to choose from. And honestly i think I would need to go back further than 10 years to cover the comedy shows I think where the best.
    Fawlty towers, monthy python, allo allo, etc. All made well before my time, but they where on TV all the time. Especially at my grandparents house, where I was very very often. And they watched these shows, so they influenced me a lot I suppose.
    And ofc other shows, non English shows where a huge deal, some where rather funny even. Imagine that.

Later shows where great in the start, but died off quickly (non the less they kept going for years and years...). So often I started watching some of them, but later gave up keeping up with the series. Just lost interest..

On a somewhat related note, is Ugly Americans ever coming back?!
    I hope so, that show is genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    Family Guy LITERALLY was good until I became an adult. It was like right before I turned 19 that I just got fed up with it. I just didn't find it funny at all because it's pretty much in the same vein of South Park. There's something to be found that's clever, but it's mostly just grabbing laughs from a foul-mouthed child, generally foul-mouthed stuff, raunchy whatever, or pure stupidity. There's just too much reliance on its status as "edgy," at least to me. There isn't much to laugh at when you do the same kind of stuff OVER and OVER and OVER again.
    Thats because Seth MacFarlane is a one trick pony, everything he does is pretty much the same crap over and over with a slightly different coat of paint over the top.