Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is Nexusmods a safe site to download mods off of?

Hey, I was looking at morrowind mods on there... people've suggested going there on here before... but I'm afraid to download anything. Any input?

It's a legit site. I don't know what their quality control is like but anything with a reasonable amount of hits should be safe for sure.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Yes I've used them for skyrim mods.

Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    It's a legit site. I don't know what their quality control is like but anything with a reasonable amount of hits should be safe for sure.
    Sounds sketchy...

10+ Year Old Account
    Nexusmods has been around for ages. Still my nr1 mod page for Bethesda related games

10+ Year Old Account
    Every moddable game I've played since Nexus opened it's doors, I've downloaded mods from that site. Fallout 3, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, you name it. They're great, and almost every mod maker worth his salt uses them. Easy to use, moderators on the forums are great, the community is helpful. Definitely recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Recently (in the last 3 months) bought FONV for PC and found a great modding series on youtube (search for gophervids) for it. He uses nexus so I did the same. Everything was easy to do with no problems at all.

Anyone that ever asks me about mods for FONV gets directed to nexus.

10+ Year Old Account
    As seen in the comments above, yes it is safe.
    Nexus is the top resource for elder scrolls and fallout mods and it has a great community behind it.

If you do not download from nexusmods, you're doing it wrong. Some of the modders are batshit crazy and the admins aren't any better, but they still do their job and come down on all scams and misconducts like a hammer of wrath.
    Just download your mods and stay out of all the discussions if you have any negative feedback, and you'll love the place and will never have a problem with it.

used Nexus for Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, np encountered.

Even on bethesda Forums most of the addons posted there for this game send you to Nexus network.

Deleted
    Yeah, I've used Nexus quite a bit as well. Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, as well as the Mount & Blade series. Just stay away from mods that have very few to no endorsements, and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanith View Post
    Sounds sketchy...
    What I meant was, I don't know if they screen all uploads before allowing them to be available to the public (so like, how hard it would be to upload a virus), but there's nothing malicious about the site itself. Anything with any reasonable popularity wouldn't be malware if that was the case.

Although they probably do have some sort of approval process.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanith View Post
    Sounds sketchy...
    What're you so paranoid about? Nexusmods is a legit site and has been around forever. If you're being smart and running MBAM periodically and use Adblock/NoScript you have nothing to fear from any website.

---------- Post added 2012-08-07 at 09:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    I use this site too for Skyrim and FO: New Vegas, nothing bad to say here either. Nexus Mod Manager is a great way to download and install mods easily and quickly.

It's just that sometimes it completely denies me from downloading several mods from the site (Project Nevada for example for FO:NV, I just had to install it manually as NMM was always unable to download file).
    Should just use FOMM for mod installation, anyway. Supports FO3 and NV both. I know there's an OMM or something for Oblivion, there's probably one for Morrowind as well.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Your biggest risk is getting malware embedded in flash-based ads. But then again that's just as likely anywhere else. And Nexus arguably has better file moderation than the Steam Workshop. I've seen prohibited stuff go unnoticed for weeks on the workshop while on the Nexus those things are swiftly reported and taken down.

If you are going there for Skyrim, or Fallout 3/New Vegas, get the Nexus Mod Manager.

It is not "Safe" to get the nexus mod manager. I got a trojan horse virus from it!

Quote Originally Posted by IdTheDemon View Post
    If you are going there for Skyrim, or Fallout 3/New Vegas, get the Nexus Mod Manager.
    The NMM or nexus mod manager is not safe to download as the servers hosting files for nexus have served up a nasty trojan with it. I got this trojan and had to reformat my machine to get rid of it.
    Here is a report of it this year:
    gameranx.com/updates/id/13568/article/skyrim-nexus-reportedly-compromised-by-malware-hack/
    Another:
    forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/511054-highly-agressive-virus-on-the-loos-eon-skyrim-nexus/

The steam workshop is a much safer way to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've used Nexus for 4 or 5 games and never had any problems, just download manually, you don't need to use any program or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Yes its safe downloaded 500 mods and havent encountered any problems
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nexus mods is a legit website but if you are worried just scan the files you download before installing them and booting up the game.

Quote Originally Posted by hannibalektr View Post
    The NMM or nexus mod manager is not safe to download as the servers hosting files for nexus have served up a nasty trojan with it. I got this trojan and had to reformat my machine to get rid of it.
    Here is a report of it this year:
    gameranx.com/updates/id/13568/article/skyrim-nexus-reportedly-compromised-by-malware-hack/
    Another:
    forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/511054-highly-agressive-virus-on-the-loos-eon-skyrim-nexus/

The steam workshop is a much safer way to go.
    Please take a look at the time stamp next time, you would be naive to think they have not fixed security holes like that a bit over 5 months down the line.
    Last edited by zealo; 2013-08-23 at 08:30 PM.

I've never had an issue with them. But no website is safe, always browse carefully.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.