Page 1 of 3
LastLast

War of the Roses. Medieval version of Battlefield!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/...-roses-preview

by Paul Dean of IGN
    July 9, 2012

Paradox Interactive gets straight to the point when War of the Roses is introduced. Senior producer Gordon Van Dyke describes it as their “flagship game of the year,” the standout title amongst the publisher's busy roster. Whether gamers agree, or perhaps instead find it more of an acquired taste, there's never been anything quite like it before and its shaping up to be a very, very brutal experience.

War of the Roses is best described as Battlefield set in the late middle ages. Up to 64 players will slash and stab their way through pitched battles or sieges, their carbines replaced by crossbows and their sniper rifles swapped for swords, all of which naturally makes combat a much more intimate affair. More often than not, you'll be staring your opponent in the face as you strike them down or suffer their anger, and even archers and crossbowmen will find they frequently have to get up close and personal to finish the job they started.

It's all very nuanced. You'll also be able to pick what kind of steel your weapon is made of, even your edge grind.

In fact, just about everyone has to get their hands dirty. One of the most distinctive and even disturbing features of the game is the finishing moves. No, you didn't read that wrong, there's almost a Mortal Kombat element of execution on show here, because warriors who fall in battle are left immobile on the ground, halfway between life and death. With luck, a friend can revive them and return them to the fight, but otherwise it's the duty of an opponent to walk over to body, straddle it and ram their weapon into the eyes, neck or temple of the helpless victim, often several times. A quick glance across any battlefield in War of the Roses inevitably identifies at least one or two combatants leaning down to slaughter their foes. It's the kind of naked violence that would make a tabloid editor perk up like a meerkat and if you're the victim of it, you have to suffer it all from your first-person perspective.

Should that not quench your thirst for blood, there are plenty of other ways to harm people as you fight your way through one of England's most brutal wars. Developer Fatshark are promising a veritable armoury of weapons, all of which have their own distinctive characteristics and physics. Daggers are fast but weak, while polearms have a long reach but swing poorly in a confined space, glancing off walls and obstacles.

All your slashing, stabbing and parrying is controlled through small movements of the mouse, making combat as much about timing and precision as it is the size and type of the sword you choose. “It's all very nuanced,” Gordon explains. “You'll also be able to pick what kind of steel your weapon is made of, even your edge grind.” Your edge grind, by the way, is the cross-section of your blade, and even that can make a difference.

At its very best, the merciless melees of War of the Roses could almost resemble a 64-player equivalent of the expertly-modelled combat in something like Demon's Souls.

If customising your weapons still isn't enough for you, the armour is similarly detailed, and players will be able to carefully design their own crests and coats of arms (“You will look much cooler!”), making every warrior on a battlefield a distinct individual that you can bear a grudge against. While the colour of your plume may be cosmetic, the idea is that all your other equipment will have an important bearing on how you fight, with archers aiming for chinks in your defences and particular weapons working better against certain armour. Feel free to don a heavy helmet for protection, but your field of vision will suffer.

At its very best, the merciless melees of War of the Roses could almost resemble a 64-player equivalent of the expertly-modelled combat in something like Demon's Souls. Imagine skirmishes where every participant sports the combination of the weapons and armour they personally prefer, knights cautiously skirting their opponents as they try to time their killing blows, groups of soldiers trying to outflank one another, archers scattering suddenly in the face of a cavalry charge.

Though there's still much tweaking and balancing to be done, the current alpha build of the game shows just how exciting, challenging and cruel it can be. This doesn't look like something that new players can immediately leap into, but there's a lot of satisfaction to be had from mastering its combat mechanics. Fatshark are also promising a comprehensive single-player campaign, something that will no doubt help introduce the subtleties of 15th Century warfare, but let's not kid ourselves here. This is a game that's all about challenging real people to a duel to the death.

Looks Neat.

15+ Year Old Account
    FOr a second I thought you were talking about the PSP FF Tactics remake, and I was like "que?".
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    FOr a second I thought you were talking about the PSP FF Tactics remake, and I was like "que?".
    Nah, but this game looks pretty nice. Reminds me of the mount and blade game.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Signed up for the beta a long time ago. Love Mount and Blade so I'm really excited for this one.
    Is it playable now? I'm building my computer and it should be done by this weekend.

Great. More awesome games to be on the lookout for! I'm gonna be poor at the end of this year.

If you sign up for Beta you get a special URL that your friends can sign up through, and if you get 5 people to sign up you get beta access. Should be easy enough to convince your friends to do, even if they don't want to play it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    If you sign up for Beta you get a special URL that your friends can sign up through, and if you get 5 people to sign up you get beta access. Should be easy enough to convince your friends to do, even if they don't want to play it themselves.
    Ooooh, interesting. Will definitely look into that.

Deleted
    You don't even have to get 5 friends to sign up, you can do it yourself with 5 different emails even on the same IP. That's what I did and I just got a beta invite confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by ILEM View Post
    You don't even have to get 5 friends to sign up, you can do it yourself with 5 different emails even on the same IP. That's what I did and I just got a beta invite confirmation
    I have to wait until this weekend since I'm in the process of building my computer. Hopefully I can get in.

Played it, and as a regular Mount & Blade Warband player I can easily say WoTR is quite inferior to it.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Looks awesome, I hope I can get in the beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ILEM View Post
    You also need 5 steam accounts... >.< Which is odd unless it's a steam only game.

It does look like an awesome game! Hopefully I get into the beta.

Edit: I used the same steam account with a different email and it worked :}
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2012-08-08 at 06:12 PM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    You also need 5 steam accounts... >.< Which is odd unless it's a steam only game.

It does look like an awesome game! Hopefully I get into the beta.

Edit: I used the same steam account with a different email and it worked :}
    Yup, I did the same thing here except I just put gibberish for the steam accounts and now I have an invite to the beta. Looking forward to trying this game out.
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2012-08-08 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My god I want this game...

When a wild forum troll appears

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    War of the Lions.

I thought War of the Roses was a Dragonlance thing at first. This sounds pretty cool though.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, I did the same thing here except I just put jibberish for the steam accounts and now I have an invite to the beta. Looking forward to trying this game out.
    How long did it take for you to get a beta confirmation after you signed up with the 5th email?

Move along.

Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    How long did it take for you to get a beta confirmation after you signed up with the 5th email?
    I want to say it was about 30-45mins.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to say it was about 30-45mins.
    okay thank you! Its been ~20 minutes so I wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong.

Move along.

Do want!

Where can I give them my money?
    A troll is a troll and a roll is a roll, and if we feed them trolls then we don't eat no rolls.

Just got the guaranteed invite! Can't wait for this game.