Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oglok View Post
    The animation give this illusion, but ArenaNet stated that your character is always moving at full speed.
    I really like Asura's stopping animations.
    Best thing in the game imo!

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems fine to me. Just wish we could zoom out the camera more :S
    Arukas

Deleted
    I think the movement is terrible. Every time this subject comes up (once every 3 days) a lot of people say the animation of players is terrible i.e it feels as if you are floating into a backdrop and not really in the world.. which destroys immersion. Then someone says something bad then the mods close the thread. Just warning you, it happens all the time on here as if AN are paying to kill any bad press.

Edit: I have bought the game and did enjoy the last beta which I took part it but I was not happy with the animation of your character and hope they change their mind on it and hence the post(s). I am certainly joined by many on this.

Incidentally, if you don't believe me, go down through all the GW2 posts, look at the locked topics. All are saying something negative about game. Food for thought. Ask yourself why.
    Last edited by mmoc1615415e70; 2012-08-10 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    I think the movement is terrible. Every time this subject comes up (once every 3 days) a lot of people say the animation of players is terrible i.e it feels as if you are floating into a backdrop and not really in the world.. which destroys immersion. Then someone says something bad then the mods close the thread. Just warning you, it happens all the time on here as if AN are paying to kill any bad press.

Edit: I have bought the game and did enjoy the last beta which I took part it but I was not happy with the animation of your character and hope they change their mind on it and hence the post(s). I am certainly joined by many on this.

Incidentally, if you don't believe me, go down through all the GW2 posts, look at the locked topics. All are saying something negative about game. Food for thought. Ask yourself why.
    It's a conspiracy?!... Wait no, it's a non-issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morokai View Post
    Hey people. We all know the character movement in WoW is very smooth. In the beginning it felt very unnatural for me in guild wars 2 but after a while i liked it even more than in WoW. How do you guys think about the character movement?
    Not sure what you mean. I didn't really notice a difference beyond the speed of character movement, which you're just gonna have to adjust to.

In regards to talk of "floatiness" of characters: Put all of your eye focus onto your character's feet, and walk on terrain that has clear markings. You'll notice that your feet does not slide, like it would in WoW, when they hit the ground. So whatever you're feeling is wrong with the animations, it's not "floaty" in the slightest. Their feet are very much glued to the terrain.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shonough View Post
    go down page by page and check for yourself. I don't believe in conspiracies but you seem unable to read.

---------- Post added 2012-08-11 at 02:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shonough View Post
    and here is said thread.. oh look a large % of players agree.. fancy that?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-look-right-S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    go down page by page and check for yourself. I don't believe in conspiracies but you seem unable to read.

---------- Post added 2012-08-11 at 02:32 AM ----------

and here is said thread.. oh look a large % of players agree.. fancy that?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-look-right-S
    How do you consider that to be a "large %" exactly? % of that thread? % of this forum community? % of all who have played GW2? What are you basing your statistical measure on, besides "eyeballing it" exactly?

People posting on forums and voicing such concerns are typically in the minority.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Didn't we discuss in that other thread that it felt like that on the first BWE but it progressively got better the next BWE's?

Haven't tried GW2, but I think it will be a non-issue for me. Many complained about SWTOR movement too, but I thought it was just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    Didn't we discuss in that other thread that it felt like that on the first BWE but it progressively got better the next BWE's?
    That depends on your definition of "we". If by that you mean "hardcore fans that would claim that bugs are actually great features", then yes.

But people without such bias? No, quite the opposite. People having problems with camera smoothing got progressively more vocal as more and more people with expectation of proper tight controls joined in to voice their concerns. Expect even more complaints at release if it's not fixed and people who aren't fans enough to even pre-buy get the game only to discover that controls are far from what they learned to expect from playing competing titles in the genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    That depends on your definition of "we". If by that you mean "hardcore fans that would claim that bugs are actually great features", then yes.
    Definitely not the situation here, and you might as well be saying "lolfanbois." The bugs I personally experienced firsthand, as a person who did 90% PvE in the BWEs, found that various issues being encountered did get progressively better as a whole - many that weren't fixed, were at least partially addressed. Just because you'd encounter one bug that never gets fixed, does not mean that's true of all bugs.

---------- Post added 2012-08-10 at 09:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    People having problems with camera smoothing got progressively more vocal as more and more people with expectation of proper tight controls joined in to voice their concerns. Expect even more complaints at release if it's not fixed and people who aren't fans enough to even pre-buy get the game only to discover that controls are far from what they learned to expect from playing competing titles in the genre.
    They can be progressively more vocal if they want - one of the very first things I did when I wasn't lagging and disconnecting was run out to a big open field with no large clunky objects to block my camera. I made sure my camera settings were at a comfortable place, and then proceeded to suddenly start/stop my camera completely at random, and observe if the camera kept moving when my mouse movements also stopped, or if the camera took any amount of time to "start up" behind my mouse movements.

Was not the case. If there was camera "smoothing" or whatever there would still be camera motion after the exact instant of not moving my mouse, and camera movements would be slower than my mouse movements to ramp up, and I did not experience this.

Where I did notice my camera still moving after I stopped moving my mouse was if objects behind my camera caused it to automatically zoom in or out. But actual horizontal/vertical movement? None.

I don't know what you people are seeing with this camera thing, but it's not happening to me. People could be seeing things, or people could have truly fucked up their camera settings, or even not realized that there are camera settings to fiddle with.
    If it is happening to me and I'm just not seeing it (which I seriously highly doubt, as I'm fairly sensitive to camera movements - motion sickness is not something easy to overcome), it's not visible enough for people to get up in arms about and I'm honestly shocked at how picky people are.

The fact of the matter is that the people who are being "vocal" about this, are actually a minority of forum posters, which is already a minority among the playerbase as a whole. I highly doubt these "concerns" are as widespread as you claim.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-11 at 02:36 AM.

I don't notice a difference between WoW and GW2 for camera movement at all! I don't understand why people are complaining? But then again people complain about everything...

Here is all that you need to know about movement in a video game, does the character go where I want when I want. Almost every mmo satisfies that criteria. Most folks when talking about movement issues are referring to the aesthetics of the movement and not the actual movement.

Deleted
    Movement is fine. I just need to learn to dodge (when and what). The game has almost no flaws for me so far. With the exception that it lacks dueling.
    I cannot see in any way, as a League of Legends player, WoW and many other games from fps to action/adventure, how can movement seem wierd to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    It's fine once you adjust the camera movement speed and enable free camera.

I do both of those things, the free camera is just an ooooold habit from WoW that dates back to Vanilla. I like my camera to follow hmmmm never kthnx.

honestly, those don't help for a lot of people. For me, I still get that annoying smoothing issue when turning the camera, it feels like mouse acceleration, like im dragging the camera through mud. It always has a tiny delay. I don't like delays, I like quick and jerky. I want responsiveness. And currently the game doesn't feel like it has that with the camera. You get used to it after a little while and stop thinking about it anymore, but the fact it's there annoys me to no end.

I don't notice any issues with movement or camera speed. Actually kind of confused at what people are even talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel GW2 hit the movement sweet spot like WoW did. It makes it look realistic but at the same time not sluggish. That's what made me a bit annoyed with Rift; the movement was visually appealing but felt sluggish and slow and dull.

Only thing I really wish from the options is a FOV slider (field of view) cause of the nauseating effects the lack of one brings along. Oh and field of view =/= zoom btw ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    I don't notice any issues with movement or camera speed. Actually kind of confused at what people are even talking about.
    Same here. Could someone explain more in detail what's wrong/odd about the camera?