View Poll Results: Did you like the cinematic?

Voters
2480. This poll is closed
  • Yes

1,987 80.12%
  • No

493 19.88%
Page 31 of 67 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Thank you for that invaluable bit of insight, I'm not sure what we'd do without it.

258 haters gonna hate. Pretty much the same haters that have been hating for... oh about 10 months now.
    The poll option is 'Did you like the cinematic?'. Not liking it, is not the same as hating... I didn't like it very much, but I'm looking forward to MoP! (like I did before the cinematic.)

Loved it. My favorite was Lk's, but it is second to that. WotLK's trailer was epic and invoked feelings of wanting to beat the hell out of Arthas. They started off telling his story well. This one was more... glorious, and exciting. It felt like adventure, while WotLK felt like revenge.

Can't wait now!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Quality wise it was great.

Content wise, it looked to have a dark atmosphere and a mature feeling to it. But, beating on the dead horse, as soon as the panda came into the scene, it became too hollywoodish.

If anything the beginning was "Hollywoodish", but when Chen Stormstout showed up, it went straight to Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    I would have hated the trailer if it was anything like the way you described. Also "some found it funny"? Look at the amount of likes on the youtube video and on this poll, the great majority clearly prefers it this way.
    People keep saying pandas are not a joke. Then when Blizzard makes the MoP trailer into a joke, they say it could not have been done any other way. I simply came up with some way that they could have been taken seriously. It did not have to be a joke, but they chose to go with it. Enjoy playing your joke expansion.

As for my scenario, I came up with it on the fly and don't do this kinda crap for a living. I would hope someone at Blizzard could come up with a more enjoyable version, but my point still stands. They did not have to perpetuate the joke stereotype.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was really good until the stupid panda came into it. The wrath cinematic is still the best imo.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Personally, I did enjoy it. I think what they did worked well, contrasting the brutal and destructing war between the alliance and horde in the first half, and showing the more lighthearted, and elegant world of Pandaria in the second half.

But, even if you hated the cinematic, you have to admit, the quality of the animation in a developing stance was simply fantastic.

Edit: I suppose the only thing that did strike me as odd though, was when both the orc and human just stopped fighting to stare in awe at Chen, and the human passing the orc his spear. It seem odd to me, since, even if they encountered something incredibly powerful and threatening, it seems really out of place for both faction's grunts to just cease all fighting and rage toward each other to fight this new enemy.

That, and a three-way fight would've been way cooler
    Last edited by Underskilled; 2012-08-16 at 06:14 PM.

Love the old martial arts movie feel, they did a great job capturing what this expansion is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    People keep saying pandas are not a joke. Then when Blizzard makes the MoP trailer into a joke, they say it could not have been done any other way. I simply came up with some way that they could have been taken seriously. It did not have to be a joke, but they chose to go with it. Enjoy playing your joke expansion.

As for my scenario, I came up with it on the fly and don't do this kinda crap for a living. I would hope someone at Blizzard could come up with a more enjoyable version, but my point still stands. They did not have to perpetuate the joke stereotype.
    I don't get the anger towards the joke. Blizzard has made it known that Pandarens are a light hearted, easy going race. Are you that threatened about a joke in a small cinematic?

And yes, I will enjoy my joke expansion. I will enjoy you see posting about how awful it is after you purchase it as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was perfectly suited to the Mists of Pandaria expansion. While it may not have felt as "epic" to some people, I thought it set the tone perfectly.

Also, I really enjoyed the humour.

Biggest problem: The conflict presented in the trailer was resolved in the trailer.
    Previously, the conflict presented in the trailer was left to the player to resolve by playing the game.

Personal problem: The humor is just so out of place in Blizzard Cinematics. The humor has an awesome place in-game, and can be ignored by those who choose to. A lot of the people who have a problem with the humor think that WoW is badass, and that people are going to see the trailer and think that their hobby isnt badass any more. For me, it's just a matter of where silliness is typically found in blizzard content, and this is not where they usually stick it.
    Last edited by Callipygian; 2012-08-16 at 06:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brozy View Post
    How can you not laugh when the human hands the orc the spear just that bit alone made it for me lol
    Yeah that was pretty funny. The only thing I could wish for from the Trailer was more of a ship battle. The cool thing about the cinematic is that it provides a decent introduction to what you will experience in the first zone of MoP. Where you start out as alliance vs horde and discover there are other enemies to fight.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Some points you may or may not have noticed;

The introduction, font and human character resembles Pirates of the Caribbean.

The idea of an mysterious island emerging from the mist with ancient buildings resemble King Kong.

When the orc is ready to get a jump on Mr Gibbs, a tree branch snapping is heard, yet the orc is motionless. This is most likely Chen ruining the opportunity (more on this below)

Chen causing the mist to twist around him is pure awesome. Just sayin'

When the human hands the spear to the orc for the temporary truce, Chen smiles, indicating that his goal is to make the combatants stop fighting, and instead fight him. Him being a new class and OP in pvp () so he's not worried. As a monk he is trained in such odds anyway.

He clears the mist to reveal the area below (I'm assuming they're on the Wandering Isle?) as a way to stop their petty struggle.

Naturally Chen was never after to kill either of them, just to temporarily make them stop, (it's a cinematic, so there's no need for rebuttals like MoP being about war, cause there is.) but to preserve balance, and bring harmony. The way of the ("kung fu") monk.

Love it.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Edit:it seems really out of place for both faction's grunts to just cease all fighting and rage toward each other to fight this new enemy.
    Wrong:

Learn your history of good cinematics.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    It started great until they put in the cliche martial arts bullshit and scenes.

Pandaren with bamboo stick
    Pandaren with bamboo hat looking mysterious and shit
    Pandaren beating an Orc and a Human with a stick simultaneously
    Orc and Human getting their asses whipped by martial arts

They should have focused on the battle between the two ships, shown it expand on the land with mages, dwarvish Steam Tanks, goblins, elves, undead, everything, Warcraft 3 style, and then maybe some crap pandaren at the end to make the kiddies squeal in delight.
    The Pandaren was Chen Stormstout, if you didn't catch that. Might shed some light on things. Not that that'll help, I see, as your problem appears to be with Pandaren themselves and therefore any cinematic would have let you down.

Regardless. I thought the cinematic was great. Even the humor seemed properly placed. I'm not really getting why so many people are upset about the appearance of a monk, and the fighting style they displayed in the cinematic. Anyone who has bothered to take a look at the new class knows that's exactly how they would fight. If you're going to start complaining about cliches and Hollywood, you're a tad late.

It's still not as great as the Wrath of the Lich King cinematic, but when you're up against a favourite villain built up from Warcraft III through a tragic story, that's not surprising.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2012-08-16 at 06:18 PM.

Cata's trailer was borrring. This one had the perfect mix of humor and action. Loved it!

10+ Year Old Account
    no, i didnt like it.. i LOVED IT!
    “We all know interspecies romance is weird.”
    ― Tim Burton

Quote Originally Posted by kynthrus View Post
    A cinematic isn't supposed to answer questions for the player. It's supposed to make those who aren't playing yet ask questions....
    Well, if the question is "why should I buy that game?"

"Buy it to find out" isn't a very compelling answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    And yes, I will enjoy my joke expansion. I will enjoy you see posting about how awful it is after you purchase it as well.
    Given the way subs have been going, I don't think you can be smug about people blindly purchasing the next expansion. If I can sit out Cata, I can definitely sit out MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    The Pandaren was Chen Stormstout, if you didn't catch that. Might shed some light on things. Not that that'll help, I see, as your problem appears to be with Pandaren themselves and therefore any cinematic would have let you down.
    chen stormwhatever isn't Medivh. He's just another un-retconned pandaren who happened to be there during the Founding of Durotar. He doesn't have superpowers.

I liked it a lot. Had Horde and Alliance conflict, humour and some awesome combat scenes. I am pretty satisfied overall with how it is