View Poll Results: Did you like the cinematic?

Voters
2480. This poll is closed
  • Yes

1,987 80.12%
  • No

493 19.88%
Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    horrible, got bored around 3 min mark. every other cinematic, from vanilla to cata, is 10x better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Well, people are still free to say ''it was good untill the panda showed up'' because the panda did kinda ruin things in the trailer.

Ofcourse a panda had to show up, but they could make the panda look more badass. For example: the panda beats the shit out of both human and orc (no humor at all), and then he slowly tells them both ''do not bring war in this land... both of you...'' and then ''if the Sha won't kill you... than we will...''. And then the panda leaves in the mists.

Was my idea of the trailer better or worse?
    Like everyone complaining about the 'panda' or saying it was cartoonish, you need to go watch the Hong Kong martial arts cinema the fight was inspired by before you start passing judgments like that. Once you do that, then you will see it wasn't cartoonish at all but very much in the style intended.

Kids today have no sense of the past and have been ruined by the crap Hollywood churns out today.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    Did you guys also rage in Lord of the Rings when Gimli said to Legolas, after he just single-handedly killed an Orliphant, "Well it still only counts as one!"?
    I didn't rage. But I didn't really laugh either, since it wasn't all that funny =-p I don't laugh at fart jokes either. I must be a prude.

I liked it a lot, my favorite cinematic so far for wow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalay View Post
    But that is not the point of the Pandaren. Metzen already said at Blizzcon last year that Red and Blue will be in for a surprise, they will come to a land of peace, harmony, humor and light-heartedness. So this trailer shows this and it also shows that they are surprised by it at first... it doesn't show what they do afterwards, because that is to come in later in the game and in future expansions (where the war will get ever worse)

Plus if the Pandaren said something about killing them because he gets mad at them... well that would ruin all he has learned and it would bring the Sha upon HIM. (as shown in the case of the Shado Pan guy), so that would again ruin the whole point.
    But the Sha are supposed to be part of the mystery, not an "in your face" threat. These two guys just reached Pandaria.

And no way Chen would say such, it completely defeats their philosophy and bring the Sha upon himself.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2012-08-16 at 08:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly is humorous about the trailer aside from the Orc and Human looking in awe at the fighting prowess of the Pandaren?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    Like everyone complaining about the 'panda' or saying it was cartoonish, you need to go watch the Hong Kong martial arts cinema the fight was inspired by before you start passing judgments like that. Once you do that, then you will see it wasn't cartoonish at all but very much in the style intended.

Kids today have no sense of the past and have been ruined by the crap Hollywood churns out today.
    As someone who has seen a ton of old kung fu movies...they tend to be whimsical and ridiculous/cheesy with a little humor thrown in just like the cinematic. Is that wrong? No, old kung fu movies can be fun to watch. However, to go from a dark opening and lead to a tooth and nail fight to the death between alliance and horde to having a goofy anthropomorphic panda thrown in the mix is just dumb and tasteless. Pretty much exactly ike the premise for the entire expansion, but whatever. No stopping it now.

This cinematic was pretty much exactly how I thought it would be. Nice visuals and themes, but eventually a panda had to show up and just fuck up the entire mood with its 'kung fu' and silliness.
    Last edited by foxHeart; 2012-08-16 at 08:40 PM.
    Look! Words!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    But the Sha are supposed to be part of the mystery, not an "in your face" threat. These two guys just reached Pandaria.
    That's not my point, my point was, the Pandaren was ok just the way he was, not going up to them and saying 'stop it right there or me smash!' He took them on in a Pandaren kind of fight to show prowess and mybe show off a little, to tell them they are wrong continuing their fight here, but without fury or feelings of revenge or anything, which was what the post I quoted was suggesting

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalay View Post
    That's not my point, my point was, the Pandaren was ok just the way he was, not going up to them and saying 'stop it right there or me smash!' He took them on in a Pandaren kind of fight to show prowess and mybe show off a little, to tell them they are wrong continuing their fight here, but without fury or feelings of revenge or anything, which was what the post I quoted was suggesting
    But that was the point of the cinematic. He could sweep the Shrine of Fellowship with the two, but that is not the Pandaren are about. Not when they know what happens if they let any emotion go unchecked.

awesome cinematic i liked it alot and watched it bout 10 times already
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

loved it, kinda came off with a pirates of the Caribbean vibe to me, it made the horde/alliance conflict look desperate and escalated, but showed they could unite if they felt a great enough threat. Chen came off perfect as the easy going guy who doesnt let this hinder a marital prowess that puts him on the same level as rexxar or varian. on the whole i just really dug it. great animation, looked superb and the soundtrack and voice over was excellent.
    certainly a lot better than "PAAAAAIIINNN, AGGOOONNNNYYYYY"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    But that was the point of the cinematic. He could sweep the Shrine of Fellowship with the two, but that is not the Pandaren are about. Not when they know what happens if they let any emotion go unchecked.
    Yes, I know... what are you trying to tell me? I don't know if I understand you correctly... Are you saying I think he should get angry? Because I was arguing against that exactly.
    Or were you not ok with him fighting at all?

Sorry, I don't mean to insult you, I really don't understand what you are trying to tell me at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Wait, "funny moves"? What funny moves? the pandaren is practicing some form of kung fu, as he would, since its an asian inspired class/expansion/continent etc.
    Yes. The move isn't continuous like real life kung fu moves. Look when the Pandaren fixes the "statue" (or something like that), the animation isn't "real", has been made in a "cartoonish" style. Watch Madagascar and try to see these animations. You'll understand what I mean.

Let's clarify one thing: I'm not agaisnt pandaren showing up (something expectable and necessary) neither his Kung Fu moves. I'm against making funny animations of a Pandaren and making the whole opening a big joke (i.e. horde and ally looks). If the fight continues like the beginning with a kung fu pandaren and more realistic moves than Looney Tunes moves, maybe it would be much better .
    Last edited by XingoJenkins; 2012-08-16 at 08:49 PM.

Deleted
    I'm just saddened by this cinematic. Earlier I was very much in anger, but I've calmed down now to realise my main feeling on what is wrong with this video. The MoP cinematic doesn't even feel like WoW. I feel like I'm watching a cinematic for Tf2. The animation, the exaggerated design on both the orc and the human. All of the things in WoW's lore feels like it couldn't even exist in the MoP cinematic universe. All of your opinions aside: Think of the Draenei or the Blood elf from the TBC cinematic and compare it with the Orc or the human from the MoP cinematic. It's not the same world. All of the other reasons aside, that is my biggest gripe and it saddens me to no end. It's almost as if Blizzard are making fun of themselves with this.
    Last edited by mmoccc3932e217; 2012-08-16 at 08:56 PM.

if they took out some of the subtle hints of humor it would of been much better. It's the first cinematic trailer that they've tried to be funny in and although you could say they were successful at doing so, they have horrible timing. You've already got the younger audience. There's no reason to try and appeal any farther for them. They really should of focused much more on the serious side of the expansion in the cinematic like they always have.

I actually said "oh no" out loud to myself when he fixed the statue the way he did. He could of done that with a much more serious tone, letting people know that those grounds were sacred to his culture. But no, they go with the unrealistic feel.
    Last edited by Bulwarked; 2012-08-16 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Try this experiment, cast away all prior knowledge of the expansion and watch the trailer. Do you know whats going on in wow?

Sadly I found it wholly underwhelming, it did nothing to set the tone of whats going on in the expansion, was covered in cheese once it got to the hammer back on the platform, and aparently pandas are gods who can destroy two strong veteran fighters np.

Very dull and unsatisfying, does nothing to set the tone.
    If you go by that mentality then neither did the original cinematic for Classic. All it showed was various races fighting and that shows -nothing- but faction hate and PVP which was something the game didn't even HAVE at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sareth View Post
    I'm just saddended by this cinematic. Earlier I was very much in anger, but I've calmed down now to realise my main feeling on what is wrong with this video. The MoP cinematic doesn't even feel like WoW. I feel like I'm watching a cinematic for Tf2. The animation, the exaggerated design on both the orc and the human. All of the things in WoW's lore feels like it couldn't even exist in the MoP cinematic universe. All of the other reasons aside, that is my biggest gripe and it saddens me to no end. It's almost as if Blizzard are making fun of themselves with this.
    You do realize that those "Exaggerated designs" could end up being used for the new character models right? They did say they are working on them, and that human looked vaguely like the Chuck Norris model used in his WoW commercial.
    Last edited by Keristrasza; 2012-08-16 at 08:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Childish and completely re-affirmed the Kung Fu panda stereotype dogging this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    Man, a few seconds of humour and it's like the whole thing fell apart for some people.

And the Humour was him sticking a lamp back into place with a deadpan srsface.

Did you guys also rage in Lord of the Rings when Gimli said to Legolas, after he just single-handedly killed an Orliphant, "Well it still only counts as one!"?

It's like you guys are allergic to laughing or something.
    More like: desperately searching for something to bitch about, and that's the only thing the qqers could latch onto.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    Childish and completely re-affirmed the Kung Fu panda stereotype dogging this expansion.
    Riveting tale, chap. GW2 subforum is that way --------->
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-08-16 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XingoJenkins View Post
    Yes. The move isn't continuous like real life kung fu moves. Look when the Pandaren fixes the "statue" (or something like that), the animation isn't "real", has been made in a "cartoonish" style. Watch Madagascar and try to see these animations. You'll understand what I mean.

Let's clarify one thing: I'm not agaisnt pandaren showing up (something expectable and necessary) neither his Kung Fu moves. I'm against making funny animations of a Pandaren and making the whole opening a big joke (i.e. horde and ally looks). If the fight continues like the beginning with a kung fu pandaren and more realistic moves than Looney Tunes moves, maybe it would be much better .
    It's called comedic timing, and it was used in that particular case to get a non-verbal point across. "This is a sacred place. Stop tearing it apart. Right now." It expressed irritation at the fighters and a desire to protect the place. Chen wasn't in that fight to kill or even incapacitate the orc or the human, he jumped in to break it up. He wasn't being serious in the fight (and thus using lethal moves and tactics) because Pandaren are rarely serious in any fight, because that empowers the Sha.

Deleted
    Great until the Pandaren showed up. It all got a little... eh, hopelight then. The comedy sequence felt a touch out of place too. It should have stuck to The War or the Pandaren, one or the other.

Still better than the Cataclysm one.