Poll: How many fps do you consider "smooth"?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What do you consider running "smooth"?

People like to throw around the word "smooth" when describing how well a game runs.

However smoothness is a very subjective perception.

Deleted
    100 fps/100 hz, problem solved

10+ Year Old Account
    Where's the 120 frames option? Can't get into a game anymore without 120 frames breh.

10+ Year Old Account
    so long as nothing actually stops. I can handle a few fps so long as i can still play the game. Having said that ive never really had a good computer so i havent been spoilt. Im sure its hard for people that have awesome computers to play with my kind of fps though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the game. Anything 30+ FPS is playable. Anything less and it gives me a headache.

As long as it's over 30 fps, I don't complain.

Deleted
    60+ 10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Play most games 10 FPS to 20 FPS, so 15 FPS is smooth to me. Never seen anything higher so can't judge based off that.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

I've always had a budget rig and I very rarely play console games so 24 to 30 is fine, although i have played games at less than 20 fps and not had much problems with them.

really depends on what game it is and how demanding it is for you to be fast, counting things like how perfect you need to be to succeed.

60 FPS is smooth, 30+ is playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Where's the 120 frames option? Can't get into a game anymore without 120 frames breh.
    U must not game much then... even with sli 680s you wont see 120fps full ultra in most games, including wow (raids)
    CPU: i7 3930k@4.4 Mobo: Rampage IV X79 RAM: 32GB Ripjaw @ 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA 780ti SC SSD: 128GB M4

Deleted
    20 fps i can play wow and still get out of the fire... 20 fps i had to quit playing SC2 because the controls where impossible to do fast enough to not get slaughtered in a second. I would say it depends on the game.

40+FPS is good though i raided on 10-20fps

Deleted
    40+, less then that and it seems something is wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never had a great gaming computer, so anything above 24 appears "smooth" to me. I don't start noticing until under 20 really.
    Putin khuliyo

For me right now it's 100fps+, if not I get a little annoyed by the choppiness. 80-90fps is ok, but not as smooth as 100+fps. I bought a 120hz monitor for a reason. I intend to utilize that 120hz refresh rate.

GW2 is driving me insane, the game is still not optimized well. I'm not getting the correct amount of FPS(should be 90+, getting as low as 40-80fps) that I should be getting from a 4.4ghz 2500k and overclocked gtx 670. And I get little to no performance gain from all settings at low.
    Last edited by wombinator04; 2012-09-03 at 09:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wombinator, its because of driver capabilities right now. You're going to have to wait a good month for optimal drivers to be released. I stopped running SLI in GW2 because I had better performance with just one card.

Anyways, smooth for me is anything above 60 FPS. I run SWTOR at 100-115 FPS on a 120hz LED monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I go with 30. At a certain point, higher fps just doesn't really do anything for me. Doesn't change anything in gameplay, no noticeable visual difference, just a better number.

I've played WoW with bad FPS for years. Before I upgraded I was able to raid with -8 fps on all low settings.

Now I'm at around -40 fps on ultra settings with a new graphics card. I really only upgraded because I had to for Diablo 3/Guild Wars 2. I don't mind low FPS and don't see a big reason for it to be really high. ❤

I'd say 40+ is smooth enough so that I wont notice the difference. But since I bought my new computer I have been quite spoiled with 60+ fps on everything except D3, because Blizzard hates me...