Deleted

How many players can a server handle?

How many players can a server handle? Does anyone know? Any exact numbers?

I mean: How many players can be registered to a server? sry''
    Last edited by mmocebc8ec9eed; 2012-08-24 at 07:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a mystery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Something about flexible server capacity, overflow servers and servers in the wings ready to be deployed.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    dont think there is an limit cause you have the overflow servers

the low mid and high pop (full server) comes only from the limit in WvWvW

Deleted
    I mean: How many players can be registered to a server? sry

10+ Year Old Account
    any chance to get "server full" or something like that when the game starts?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    I mean: How many players can be registered to a server? sry
    Why is it so important to you, Don't think there is a cap you kinda just get bounced around diff servers till you have a spot open.

Deleted
    Guess no one knows?

I'm going to guess more then WoW or SWTOR... WoW's "Full" status was estimated around 15 thousand by WoWCensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    Guess no one knows?
    Game companies are very secretive about their server capacity, especially game companies that don't have to report their sales/subscription numbers because they are not public companies. I would suggest comparing the number of servers a game has vs other games to get a rough idea of how many players the game has.

I would assume that most games have the same server capacity with a few exceptions like Eve online.
    Last edited by Stellan; 2012-08-24 at 09:22 PM.

Deleted
    I would imagine it's over nine thousand. But the servers work differently to most games; if there are too many players in a zone they just chuck people on an overflow server which is cross-realm. I don't think you'd ever see a "you can't log in because the server is full" message, you'd just get in on overflow, unless the whole game was down.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    I would suggest comparing the number of servers a game has vs other games to get a rough idea of how many players the game has.

Eh, not really a good way to compare when some games have so many dead servers.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...09135?page=171
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

This is something that worry me a lot. Me and my friends decided to chose Gate of Madness, but I know some of them will buy the game only in two weeks. I really don't want them to be scattered on 2 or 3 servers because it's full.

We didn't want to chose a really popular server like Darkhaven, because we know it will be full in 24 hours.

Somebody know if they will let us switch servers for free for at least a couple of weeks the time they stabilize?

Quote Originally Posted by Morogoth View Post
    This is something that worry me a lot. Me and my friends decided to chose Gate of Madness, but I know some of them will buy the game only in two weeks. I really don't want them to be scattered on 2 or 3 servers because it's full.

We didn't want to chose a really popular server like Darkhaven, because we know it will be full in 24 hours.

Somebody know if they will let us switch servers for free for at least a couple of weeks the time they stabilize?
    your only allowed to make characters on one server, "home server", but that shouldnt be a problem as u can visit other realms as a guest as long as u have friends on that realm (reason for visiting in the first place 99% of the time?...)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morogoth View Post

Yes, for the first couple of weeks until populations settle transfers will be free. After that they will cost gems. Just depends on how long your friends take as I don't think they will take long to implement the gem cost.

Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    Yes, for the first couple of weeks until populations settle transfers will be free. After that they will cost gems. Just depends on how long your friends take as I don't think they will take long to implement the gem cost.
    ok, thanks. I wasn't sure. It's a nice move to make it free for the launch. My prediction is that every server will be high pop in the first weeks. They will add more if they need to I think?

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 10:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fathme View Post
    your only allowed to make characters on one server, "home server", but that shouldnt be a problem as u can visit other realms as a guest as long as u have friends on that realm (reason for visiting in the first place 99% of the time?...)
    Yes I know, but it doesn't work for WvW

There has to be some sort of soft cap, otherwise you'd never be able to play on your own server.

My guess would be around 5k people, maybe 2-3k to rotate overflow with.. 5k peek, 7-8k counting overflow?

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    There has to be some sort of soft cap, otherwise you'd never be able to play on your own server.

My guess would be around 5k people, maybe 2-3k to rotate overflow with.. 5k peek, 7-8k counting overflow?

mmm I only count 18 servers for NA. But this blog is interesting. http://www.arena.net/blog/the-worlds...-weekend-event

"As I mentioned, we’ve been able to greatly increase the maximum player capacity for each server. We’ve been able to do this partially because we’ve opened up a number of new playable areas with the addition of the sylvari and asura as playable characters. We expect that we will increase our capacity again when we launch and the rest of the game areas will be available. There have also been several general technical improvements made by our incredibly talented programming team that have positively impacted the entire game and let us raise our world population limit even higher.
    Don’t worry, we’ll be closely monitoring our world populations this weekend and can quickly launch new worlds as needed should problems arise with our new population limits. Our server tech is now able to raise or lower population caps with some very simple changes that don’t require us to take the game down. This lets us adjust world populations based on how the servers react and you won’t even have to leave the game!"