Deleted

5.04 resistance changes

So if i understand correctly, all resist buffs are gone come 5.04. Has anyone checked whether or not they reduced the damage of boss skills that could be resisted by those? Seems to me if they haven't, DS without 25% damage reduction from those might just be hard again.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Their damage has been reduced, it was on a news post I think 2 or so weeks ago as data mined changes from beta. Since the resistance is gone, the damage has been lowered, so it should be approximately the exact same as it is on live, if not easier.

DS damage was reduced to account for the resists but Firelands damage does not seem to have been adjusted. We noticed substantially more damage in FL, particularly from Rag and Rhyolith.

This is random but I noticed that the last trash pack before cat lady in zg seems to really tear open some butt holes too occasionally. They do some serious damage for some reason when I run it on my alt.

Im thinking it's because of the lack of resists as well but idk

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

I wonder what my mirror of broken images does now, still says it increases resistances by +400

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    I wonder what my mirror of broken images does now, still says it increases resistances by +400
    Resistance might still work, just a hidden stat like defense.

So, this is an issue that has caused me much distress since 5.0.4. I have been looking all over the internet for two days now, and can't seem to find any solid answers. Sadly, this thread has been one of the top results any time I've searched. In the interest of figuring this out, I have finally (after all these years) made an account to post on this and (try to) get to the bottom of it. So, with that being said, I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong place, and I welcome you to move this comment to a more suitable thread, with or without editing.

First, Azshira, if you could be so kind as to link that article? I cannot seem to locate it and I would love to peruse it, because I have a list of questions now after reading everything I could about the changes to resistance and it's effects.

- Ascendant Council (Phase 2) is bugged. A poster on the WoW forums suggested it was related to resistances being removed and that actually makes sense.
    - Last week, I took a well-geared group to HTotFW to finish off some stuff before MoP. Lo and behold this group kept wiping on Anshal's platform after the add spawns and their ability went off. No amount of positioning, tactics, or a second healer could save them. Everyone was 380ilvl and above, experienced raiders. There's no real reason, save a lot of that damage not being absorbed through resistance, we shouldn't have been able to survive that. That's my postulation at this time, at least.
    - Firelands: I've seen posts saying groups were taking massively larger amounts of damage in encounters in this raid. My particular worry (as I haven't been there since 5.0.4) is that Baleroc's Inferno Blade will be nigh-unsurvivable, particularly on Heroic.
    -As Bals said above, Mirror of Broken Images...? Also, the 2h Heirloom mace w/ Fire Resist. There's countless other examples. I've seen 50% of posts saying Mirror works in a 'hidden' manner, and 50% say it doesn't work now. How are these being handled?
    -The best official word I found from Blizz was this: battle.net/wow/en/blog/4544194, and unfortunatley, it doesn't say much other than "We're removing resistances. They aren't being used how we planned."

I'm a little perturbed by this whole situation as this seems to be a massive, game-changing element being stripped out of the game with little or no explanation or discussion of the ramifications. I've played WoW since launch, and I'm surprised that they fixed the mount drop bug before the AC bug or expounded on the resistance issues. I'm not saying it's completely unplayable by any means, but several current encounters do seem like they have the potential for bugs or unintended consequences now, and that's not what you want when your player base is trying to wrap up an expansion's content.

EDIT: Also putting this comment, nearly verbatim, on the WoW forums.
    Last edited by Ceejaikae; 2012-09-06 at 10:24 PM.

Having tested it myself today for curiosity's sake, I can say that Mirror of Broken Images does indeed still work, at least on my cow bear.
    Was pretty obvious when watching the combat log, as soon as I popped it, I got resists messages & the fire damage from the mob spamming me (onyxian guard in Onyxia's Lair) got halved.
    I had also read somewhere that the resistance elixirs still work... so, seems like blizz did a half-assed job at removing resists from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceejaikae View Post
    - Firelands: I've seen posts saying groups were taking massively larger amounts of damage in encounters in this raid. My particular worry (as I haven't been there since 5.0.4) is that Baleroc's Inferno Blade will be nigh-unsurvivable, particularly on Heroic.
    We have done heroic firelands since the patch, yes there was a bit more damage but all fights were still modestly healable. Rag was the only one that was noticeably more difficult.
    I haven't done the other raids you listed since 5.0 but if FL was still healable it would suggest to me that BoT and TofW would be healable too. Without logs its hard to say if you're mismanaging the Toxic Spore mechanic, and I don't want to assume anything, but it sounds like thats probably the problem. You don't want multiple players getting hit by it because it was not healable in tier 11, you had to max range them, and was difficult to heal through many targets pre-5.0.
    Last edited by PalawinFC; 2012-09-06 at 11:20 PM.

Anshal adds' aoe was never meant to be healed through. Switch quicker. H Ragnaros' aoe knockback + traps is indeed as scary as pre-nerf levels so you'll probably want to use AM or some raidwall for it. They fixed several annoying h Alystraza and Baleroc bugs too, so you should not have much issues there. One possible band-aid they can use is to implement a "-% magic damage taken" player buff in all the classic raids. I'm pretty sure blizzard is aware that not everyone is at max level with ds gear, having a "you must be this tall to ride' sign on all raid content is surely not a smart move lol.

And of course they took your precious firebird mounts away ... so close, I could taste it.

In my opinion, removing resistances is like opening a can of worms. I don't think anyone was really bummed about it, removing it simplifies the game even further and nerfs whats left of the roleplay / lore aspect of the series. Soon we'll be reduced to cubes and stick figurines ie diablo 3.

They removed resistances as a stat from gear but it still exists "behind the scenes" iirc. Hence why elixirs and that trinket still work.

Deleted
    Ah, now with this change that Nax achievement will be far easier to get in a PUG.

"Right, NO ONE use any resistance anything."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    They removed resistances as a stat from gear but it still exists "behind the scenes" iirc. Hence why elixirs and that trinket still work.
    They would want to do something about the mirror. It's still an excellent trinket @90, if the reports of it working just like @85 are true.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    They actually left gear with resistance intact. Any item/consumable with resistance still has it. They just removed it from buffs and item enhancements. And of those two, only buffs typically gave any resistance. You're still able to put on the frost resist set from WotLK, but you'll take such large hits in stats that's it's never really worth it.

if u have problems with some fireland hcs, try to bring 3 heals.
    i can imagine that things can get difficult to heal if your healers are not fully eqipped, and some abilitys (stomp, scorpionphase ae, ragnaros ae on trap) hit for more than they did before, while dps shouldnt be any problem at all nowadays. inc dmg feels like unnerved fl hc from a year ago in some situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    if u have problems with some fireland hcs, try to bring 3 heals.
    i can imagine that things can get difficult to heal if your healers are not fully eqipped, and some abilitys (stomp, scorpionphase ae, ragnaros ae on trap) hit for more than they did before, while dps shouldnt be any problem at all nowadays. inc dmg feels like unnerved fl hc from a year ago in some situations.
    Well FL had a 15% damage nerf at one point while resistances gave you a ~15-20% damage reduction while they never nerfed FL damage values like DS did in 5.0.

Electrocute during H Nef will almost 1 shot you now. I am in full BiS and it only leaves me with like 10k health.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asyra View Post
    Electrocute during H Nef will almost 1 shot you now. I am in full BiS and it only leaves me with like 10k health.
    Generates a massive bolt of lightning that strikes the ground, inflicting 128700 to 131300 Nature damage on all enemy targets.

Calling BS on the 10k hp. Unless for some reason you didn't have stamina buff, nor anyone had stamina scrolls. My mage has 153k hp without stamina buff, and isn't full BiS. Also still have personal cooldowns or raid walls. Even shamans have a cd now that they can use on a couple of crackles if they see they're not quite topped up.

No Paldins in your group? The new Devotion Aura CD works WONDERS for raid-wide damage.

Deleted
    Just like it did on normal in release week WITH resistance xD