WvWvW, completely lost

Hi guys,

I've played in all BWE's and stress tests but never touched WvWvW. Not because of no interest, but more because I wanted to test out classes in PvE and find out how the DE system really works out by trying it myself. Very pleased may I add.

I just can't find my way in WvWvW, I protected some of the supply carrier mobs but never saw other players. It also seems my server 'Gunnar's Hold' owns the complete map.

How do I figure out my way? I once saw someone speak of a fight somewhere at Fissure of Woe. I had to run quite far but never made it (south-west of the map), mostly cause of finding elites and getting raped..

Thanks in advance!
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Deleted
    I played 1 beta event and found it very confusing. Didn't understand wtf I was supposed to do. I think it's something I'll have to spend more time on.

just tried some wvw action, basicly it was just a big zerg / lag party. I had like 1 fps with everything on max and 10 fps with everything on lowest.
    I have an I7, 12 gb Ram, Geforce gtx 580.

It was kinda fun when you ran into smaller groups, zergs aren't fun imo.
    Tried to get some "advice" from general about what to do and where people where going and so on, but very little coordination seemed to work.
    Last edited by Highangel; 2012-08-26 at 12:43 PM.

The introduction to WvWvW for new players does indeed suck atm, it's too vague and generalized.

Go read up some wikis n' shit, only way to understand it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Highangel View Post
    just tried some wvw action, basicly it was just a big zerg / lag party. I had like 1 fps with everything on max and 10 fps with everything on lowest.
    I have an I7, 12 gb Ram, Geforce gfx 580.

It was kinda fun when you ran into smaller groups, zergs aren't fun imo.
    Tried to get some "advice" from general about what to do and where people where going and so on, but very little coordination seemed to work.
    Strange, I have an ancient system, Q9550, GTX260, 4gb ram, with, 50-100 (I have no idea, but it was enough with the spell effects and the numbers when I aoe'd that there were around at least 20 getting hit by my aoes, and loads more around the area), I had "ok" FPS on roughly medium settings - some stuff I have on low, some stuff I have on high, and some on medium. Post processing is off because the glow is way too much, textures and shaders on max, and the rest are medium.

When there were less people, like in the region of 20 or so, my FPS didn't feel too low, but since I haven't found a way to see it other than in the menu, I'm not entirely sure tbh. The one time I did check it was on 38, with quite a few guys and spells going on.

Also, on a side note, is there a way to see latency in game? Because while my FPS was ok, the lag when there were massive zergs was a little silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    Strange, I have an ancient system, Q9550, GTX260, 4gb ram, with, 50-100 (I have no idea, but it was enough with the spell effects and the numbers when I aoe'd that there were around at least 20 getting hit by my aoes, and loads more around the area), I had "ok" FPS on roughly medium settings - some stuff I have on low, some stuff I have on high, and some on medium. Post processing is off because the glow is way too much, textures and shaders on max, and the rest are medium.

When there were less people, like in the region of 20 or so, my FPS didn't feel too low, but since I haven't found a way to see it other than in the menu, I'm not entirely sure tbh. The one time I did check it was on 38, with quite a few guys and spells going on.

Also, on a side note, is there a way to see latency in game? Because while my FPS was ok, the lag when there were massive zergs was a little silly.
    Q9550 doesn't fall under 'ancient', got it aswell not overclocked but I do have a 560 GTX and the same ram as you do. I run GW2 with no lag issues at all, anywhere. Even on bigger fights I've been on so far. Like 40 to 70 fps everywhere on the highest settings.

I have no idea if your graphic card is inferior (i'm always confused with the 'numbers' they use on cards), I do have a I5-2500k and 8gb of ram coming my way next week. Cant wait to see how that will run.

I guess ill have to wander around and figure out how WvWvW works then!
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Deleted
    i just find the pvp confusing in general, confusing going from level 5 with a couple of spells to having all my spells unlocked :P i had no idea wtf i was doing, just pressing random buttons hoping people died.

WvWvW was always a theory instead of an implementation.

I stated this multiple times in the past.

It was never demonstrated on shows. It was hardly tested before going live in beta and it is proof that there is a HUGE gap between having a great design idea and ... Implementing it.

Also the engine will never be up to this kind of player numbers ... Even WITH the player caps.

Add the complex server interactions and complicated queing and I rest my case: I told it 5 months back already.

Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    Q9550 doesn't fall under 'ancient', got it aswell not overclocked but I do have a 560 GTX and the same ram as you do. I run GW2 with no lag issues at all, anywhere. Even on bigger fights I've been on so far. Like 40 to 70 fps everywhere on the highest settings.

I have no idea if your graphic card is inferior (i'm always confused with the 'numbers' they use on cards), I do have a I5-2500k and 8gb of ram coming my way next week. Cant wait to see how that will run.

I guess ill have to wander around and figure out how WvWvW works then!
    From my understanding, WvW is basically this:

At any point, your server is fighting against 2 other servers, the other servers you are against change, but I'm not sure when, or what happens exactly when they do.

Every few minutes durinv WvW, you get points, the amount of points depends on how many things you hold in the WvW area, which is 3 maps that look the same (1 for each of the servers, yours, and the 2 you are against), and then a final map, the Eternal Battlegrounds. Castles are worth more points than towers, and towers seem to be worth more than supply camps. The points fill up a progress bar which you can see by pressing B, when the progress bar is filled, your server unlocks a small bonus, things like 1% more gold from killing monsters, or 1% more experience gained, and so on, the B window also shows your current bonuses. This seems to be the objective of WvW, gather as many points as possible to unlock server wide bonuses. At least from my understanding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay first time tonight i decided to try it out. And im just like the OP completely lost.. i have no clue what im supposed to do. I never in the 4 or so hours saw any enemy player. And the person that shows you what to do that NPC wasnt helpfull at all either ://

So im looking for a few answers to a couple of questions:

- How can you get around those maps faster. Is walking really the only option? I dont see any other waypoints then two per "continent".
    - Are you only fighting NPCs or what does one have to do to provoke some real humans to find and fight against you?
    - Are you supposed to team up or is this already done for you? Since there was no group/part as far as i could see.
    - What is the goal (personal goal) of wvwvw compared to the regular PVP (what i love by the way mind a few small nitpicks) ?
    - Is is some sort of WG or something but then just terribly explained?

Deleted
    Ask in /m where you're needed. Should get an answer quickly.
    Find it on your map.
    Make your way there.
    Die to ranged AoE.
    Run back.
    ???
    Profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Find the mob, join the mob, seems to be the wisdom of it.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CHALET View Post
    Ask in /m where you're needed. Should get an answer quickly.
    Find it on your map.
    Make your way there.
    Die to ranged AoE.
    Run back.
    ???
    Profit.
    So to get that straight.. from the waypoint. You will be walking more then fighting?
    Last edited by schippie; 2012-08-28 at 01:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think once guilds get established and the maps start getting organized 10-20 player groups, hitting multiple strategic points on the map it will become more fun. Right now people are tending to just go where the fighting is and causing the zerg mobs we are seeing. I think over time, once people become familiar with objectives and start forming guild groups, we will see WvW really start to shine.

As with every new game, only time will tell.
    Last edited by dPwnShop; 2012-08-28 at 01:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schippie View Post
    So to get that straight.. from the waypoint. You will be walking more then fighting?
    In my experience? Yes. If you pick a ranged focused class you might have more luck, but as melee my experience was mainly to soak up damage and roll over. Inb4 I get told to l2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my experience? Yes. If you pick a ranged focused class you might have more luck, but as melee my experience was mainly to soak up damage and roll over. Inb4 I get told to l2p.
    No your job is to pull out your ranged weapon and be less effective then the more traditional ranged classes. Or as I try to do, get on a cannon.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well thats a letdown

Ah well hopefully it will get fixed, the map could use a lot more waypoints if you ask me. Maybe for every keep you controll it becomes a waypoint to? no clue if it happens like that already.

On the topic of ranged stuff.. will just swap to a staff as guardian has a nice ground aoe spell :P which can be casted from range.
    Last edited by schippie; 2012-08-28 at 01:58 AM.

From what I understand WvW is supposed to be a large scale battle over a two week period. The fact there there are few waypoints is to reinforce the idea of leaving a small force behind to hold a point or more importantly, if you have two points under attack it is to make the decision mean more on where to send your force. It would be hard to take anything if there were a bunch of waypoints everywhere for quick "mob" defense.

Plus with the melee vs ranged debate from what I understand melee can do more damage if they can get to their target. But in a large scale battles they prove to be very much useless. So why not focus on being the brute force for busting down doors and walls while the range protect you. You'll also be the first inside where the limited space maybe more advantageous.

Overall I believe we have to take new ideas into account for WvW ideas like ambushes, starving the enemy of supply, scouting will all become very much viable and important once the first couple of weeks get by and they've determined which servers will be place on the standings. But yes for now its all about taking as many points as possible before the next reset. So zerg, zerg zerg!

15+ Year Old Account
    WvWvW plays like a vastly expanded version of the original Alterac Valley. A more appropriate comparison would be to the old MMOFPS, Planetside.

Basically, WvWvW is an absolutely massive system. It's easier to understand it first if you try to understand as if the players do not exist. There are four types of structures to control: Supply Points, Towers, Keeps, and Castles.

Supply Camps are the "weakest structures" (easiest to take on alone), but are absolutely vital to the war effort nonetheless. They send out Supply Caravans periodically to nearby Towers, Keeps, and Castles. These Supply Caravans can be intercepted by the enemy and killed, severely reducing the effectiveness of that Supply Camp. An example of an upgrade you can do for a Supply Camp is that you can upgrade the Caravans to have more mercenaries out with them.

Towers are the next level of structure. They protect sections of territory, like roads leading up to Keeps or common shipping lanes for Supply Caravans. They have Veteran Guards and you will need a team of 3-5 to take a tower. They are also upgrade-able with things like Burning Oil (you can manually tip the pots at the top and raini fiery death on the attackers).

Keeps are the second highest type of structure. Assaulting a keep requires a huge team of players as there are multiple gates, elite guards, and many upgrade-able defensive structures (some of the better ones have a lot of range, like the trebuchet).

Castles are basically like Keeps but even more badass and nearly impossible to capture.

There are four regions: one for each server and then one neutral center section. All of these sections are attackable by any faction at any time. You can spawn and go to the Red home region and attack their supply camps even if you are under severe attack in your own home region and losing badly, for example.

I'm not an expert, but those are my two cents from the tiny bit of WvWvW I saw and my experiences in other massive-scale battle scenarios (I love them).
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines