Rangers - Favorite Weapon Set-up?

Just hit 50, and I've been using a Longbow and Axe/Warhorn set-up almost the whole time. Rapid fire takes out single target foes easily and barrage into ricochet clears waves quickly. Out of curiosity, I asked my guild what their favorite set-up was and a lot of them liked Shortbow and double Axes.

What have you found to be the most effective set-up?

Axe/Torch and Longbow. I'm a fan of the bonfire that torch has, then can use the axe skill to spread the condition out.

I really wanted to like One Handed Sword but I hate the first skill it uses.
    Last edited by Valeron; 2012-08-29 at 07:19 AM.

Sword/dagger, Greatsword, and Longbow were the most fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    1.) Longbow
    2.) Axe/Warhorn

And occasionally Axe/Torch, especially in groups when everyone can freaking use my fiery AOE.

Deleted
    I'm a bit weird, but I kinda like my shortbow / longbow setup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ranger level 38 at the moment. Not much time to play. Using cat for DPS and bear for tanking.

But I use:

1) Longbow
    2) Onehand sword + dagger for melee
    Retired... but for how long? WAS DRAGGED TO THE LEGION HYPETRAIN!!!

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vashiq/simple

Using Longbow / Greatsword currently. It is good ranged damage with the beastly range of the Longbow and can also punish those pesky melee guys with the Greatsword's counter attack and high damage output. I quite like the Warhorn abilities as well, though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavas View Post
    Using Longbow / Greatsword currently. It is good ranged damage with the beastly range of the Longbow and can also punish those pesky melee guys with the Greatsword's counter attack and high damage output. I quite like the Warhorn abilities as well, though.
    I do love the animation of the greatsword's gap-closer.

*hums on Broken Wings*

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    I do love the animation of the greatsword's gap-closer.

*hums on Broken Wings*
    Agreed, the second jump near landing looks awesome!

Deleted
    1)shortbow
    2) longbow
    because I'm a freaking ranger not warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    1)shortbow
    2) longbow
    because I'm a freaking ranger not warrior.
    Ironically enough there's quite a few warriors out there who apparently prefer a ranged rifle setup. I'd say this game pretty effectively destroys all preconceptions about being pigeonholed into "ranged / caster / melee" based on your profession.

For the rest of the thread, can I roll a melee ranger or will I look as idiotic as melee hunters in WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by Woebegone View Post
    Ironically enough there's quite a few warriors out there who apparently prefer a ranged rifle setup. I'd say this game pretty effectively destroys all preconceptions about being pigeonholed into "ranged / caster / melee" based on your profession.

For the rest of the thread, can I roll a melee ranger or will I look as idiotic as melee hunters in WoW?
    No it is perfectly viable but having a ranged weapon lying around is really great for every class in this game. WvW can get pretty depressing otherwise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woebegone View Post
    Yeah, you can. I have a friend who plays a melee ranger, with a greatsword and a sword/dagger setup.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    I'm a bit weird, but I kinda like my shortbow / longbow setup.
    Then I am too, I generally switch to a melee weapon every now and then just to mix things up though and I always keep a warhorn in case I need the speed buff for jumping some cliff or similar.

For pets I mainly used bears initially as tanks but have late moved on to using birds more and more for faster kills instead, the lynx also kicked ass with the bleeds, in water I prefer to use an aquatic pet so I got a jellyfish and a shark there.
    Last edited by mmoc7104c19b7e; 2012-08-29 at 03:10 PM.

Deleted
    Shortbow / Axe & Warhorn mainly. Quickened Zephyr with the already incredibly fast bow speed is hilarious and does great damage when you need to kill things fast.
    Shortbow / Longbow - occasionally to break up the monotony.

Both setups with Bear / Lynx Pet combo. Bear's are just the best pets for levelling PvE - hard as nails and with the remove condition feature they're great for your own survivability.

So far I am loving the 1h sword/warhorn combo.

I can use the warhorn to give me extra speed and send birds to peck the faces of my enemies. What could be better? And the sword makes me happy, I feel like some kind of crazy ninja or something, because it causes your character to do so much movement with the skills. One poisons and rolls around behind the enemy, another causes me to stab and go flying backward, then fly back toward the enemy and stab again. Plus the auto attack, every 3rd hit temporarily cripples or stuns the enemy (can't recall which.)

Much fun.

As a runner up, I definitely love longbow. That's usually my preferred choice when fighting a group of enemies because of the nice AoE and the skill to interrupt/push them back.
    Last edited by summourn; 2012-08-29 at 03:38 PM.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Dr. Carl Sagan

shortbow torch/axe. I easily 2 vs 1 last night BUT cuz of the damn downed system i lost in the end. Of course in my brain i won anyways, an ignorant system such as that must be ignored, that skank was on her back and the guardian was near death, so in my mind i won.... lol(the guardian was running back to the downed person so she could throw rocks....)

Torch/axe puts out an insane amount of dots, add to that i had my flame spirit out. plus kitty for more dots, hit shortbow+zep if you can flank and rape hard with the speed and more DOTS.

Id say rangers are the most OP/boring in PVE(shortbow+polar bear), but pretty fun in PVP knowing you can blow anyone up FAST.

Now the dagger offhand seems nice too for DOTs, and i do like the sword but i hate it locks you down and cant really move around.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.