A Forum for Korean Learners?

Hello guys, I'm trying to learn Korean nowadays and even though I'm in the very early stages of learning, I find the lack of any kind of practice quite bad. I though that a forum made for learners would be a good idea. So I'm wondering if anyone of you guys know such a forum. Just some general discussions in Korean at many levels, you know what I mean.

Also if anyone have any other suggestions about Korean/ learning Korean, I'm taking.

It's probably not very efficient way to learn Korean, but it would certainly help you open your ears if you watch Korean cable TV channels. Not all of them broadcast with English subtitles but it certainly is helpful based on my experience.

This is coming from a Korean who watches Japanese anime as a hobby and I am at the point where I can understand most of dialogues (without aid of subtitle) after several years of watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenion View Post
    It's probably not very efficient way to learn Korean, but it would certainly help you open your ears if you watch Korean cable TV channels. Not all of them broadcast with English subtitles but it certainly is helpful based on my experience.

This is coming from a Korean who watches Japanese anime as a hobby and I am at the point where I can understand most of dialogues (without aid of subtitle) after several years of watching.
    I definitely do that. But I was wondering if there would be a forum like that, so I could simply ask someone if I didn't understand some thing etc.
    Maybe since you are Korean, you could help me out?

The thing I find a bit hard to grasp is some differences between some similar words.
    So from what I get, *거, is used to say This as in 'This is water' = '*거 믈*에요'. Then, simply 믈*에요 means 'it's water'. Is that fair to say?

Then there are the modifiers *, 그, 저, which are all used to basically say 'this...' when speaking to something near you, near the person you speak with, and far away respectively right?
    But then does *거, 그거, 저거, also respects this 'rules' about where the thing is when speaking, for example, 저거 믈*에요, would be ' that thing ( far away, over there ) is water. ? Or does it not matter at all, and if it doesn't, then when to use each of them?

Finally, it's about 은,* and *,가 and their role to emphasize something. I'm quite sure I get the first one but not that much the second one :s

Also, it's the first time I typed something in Korean so point out any errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    You gave the wrong link but I Googled it anyway and will check it out, thanks. Though I preferred a forum model TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by raddry View Post
    I definitely do that. But I was wondering if there would be a forum like that, so I could simply ask someone if I didn't understand some thing etc.
    Maybe since you are Korean, you could help me out?

The thing I find a bit hard to grasp is some differences between some similar words.
    So from what I get, *거, is used to say This as in 'This is water' = '*거 믈*에요'. Then, simply 믈*에요 means 'it's water'. Is that fair to say?
    Although, Korean is my native language I don't think I am qualified to teach anyone but I'll try my best to answer your questions.
    First of all, water is 물, not 믈. And yes, I'd say that's an accurate translation.

Then there are the modifiers *, 그, 저, which are all used to basically say 'this...' when speaking to something near you, near the person you speak with, and far away respectively right?
    But then does *거, 그거, 저거, also respects this 'rules' about where the thing is when speaking, for example, 저거 믈*에요, would be ' that thing ( far away, over there ) is water. ? Or does it not matter at all, and if it doesn't, then when to use each of them?
    I think it does imply distance between yourself and the subject (*거 = this, 저거 = that/that one/that one over there) but *거 is also more specific.

Finally, it's about 은,* and *,가 and their role to emphasize something. I'm quite sure I get the first one but not that much the second one :s

Also, it's the first time I typed something in Korean so point out any errors.
    I don't think -은, -* are used to emphasize something, think of it as "to be" verbs (is, was, were, am, etc.) So, 나* means "I am".
    I think -*, -가 are used similarly. I think -가 is used for active sentence? 제가/내가 (former is more humble version of "I")
    Last edited by Elenion; 2012-09-12 at 03:17 PM.

Oh I see, thanks for the water correction, never noticed the little vertical bar and always thought it was 믈 /facepalm.
    Thanks for the info then, the reason that I said it's used to emphasize it's because it's written everywhere on lessons. The reason I wanted some native Korean help, that probably isn't into teaching people, is exactly to have a point of view about things like that, because people that speak about those tend to make some things really confusing sometimes.

I'll send you a PM, please be sure to check when you can

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, those rules are exactly like Japanese.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!