Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post
    I guess what I was trying to say is that despite all of those people, you still feel like it is your own personal adventure. Despite there being many other people doing the same things, you feel like it is YOU making the difference in the game. I think?
    The majority of WoW content is soloable, you realize. Even group quests, nowadays, don't actually require groups. Raids and dungeons are only a small portion of the game, despite being the "main" content, and the only end-game that anybody takes seriously.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Well if you want best gear you still have to grind a lot of explorer modes but i must have to agree with you, end game content sucks. I personally am level 80 and i found no joy in grinding for gear because quite frankly you cant show off how good you are therefore i started a new race / profession to level so that i can enjoy other areas that i haven't played in.

For the leveling part it's the best game out there and even graphically it's stunning but at level 80 it's pure utterly shit. They could AT LEAST add a LFG system >.<

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    TL;DR, Guild Wars 2 is a Single Player game that you happen to play with a lot of people, and eventually you will beat the game.
    If anything, that applies to WoW, more then any other similar game out there. Over the last few years it's been gradually changing from a group experience to a single player, get it all, anytime, anywhere, on your own one. In my opinion, there isn't a game out there that encourages cooperation more then GW2 does. So far, my experience with the community has been absolutely amazing. You actually welcome other players, regardless of what you might be doing at the time - something that WoW has managed to destroy over the years. Sure, you can play it on your own, to a certain extend, just as any other MMO out there but because the only real competition is limited to the pvp aspect of the game, and more importantly, there are no factions or any other sort of artificial community dividers, GW2 is way more appealing in respect to group play then other games I have tried/played. And the beauty of it? You play with others cos you want to, cos you may simply find it more fun, not because you have to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post
    Please play the game. It's much more of an MMO than WoW. WoW is only an MMO at max level, this you have people everywhere, events everywhere, people helping each other, etc.
    Game is new, have you been online when Blizz releases new content? Not saying WoW is more of an MMO, but I find it hard to read such retarded claims like you just made.

In GW2 I had the same feeling I had in SWTOR during leveling, mostly that it's a single player game that could be played Coop. Wich is great for 1-6 weeks, after that it's just boring.

Indeed, i did notice partying with my friend wasn't different to me walking around with some random guy without partying. It makes ZERO difference except me seeing my pary members on the map. Definitely made me disappointed on that accord.

@OP, this is a complete nonsense. For starters, your definition of an MMO is a) arbitrary and b) wrong. MMO is a game which involves large numbers of people cooperatively or competitively playing the same game, doing the same tasks and inhabiting the same world.

Because GW2 offers seamless dynamic grouping and content scaling, it is the first "true" MMO I have ever experienced. In any other MMO game, to actually play with other players involves additional steps and synchronisation (like creating a group). You seem to complain that it does not matters how many other players are around. Well, this is exactly the point of an MMO - seamless integration of large group of players. Whether the GW2 formula is up to your taste, is a different question, but calling it a 'single-player game' just because you don't agree with core design is a bit premature.

BTW, if you are looking for a "a story-oriented game that it doesn't matter how many other people are around", try SWOTR. Its basically a Mass Effect with cooperative elements.

Deleted
    MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online.. Seeing as they got over a million players, playing together (multiplayer) online... I would say its an MMO

Yes it is an MMO.

Its a massive multiplayer online game which has some heavy grinds and encourage doing repetitive things, just not for stats but for visualization.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    No, Guild Wars 2 isn't really an MMO. It's an Online RPG, a lot more like maybe SWTOR, than a game like WoW

It could fall under the broad category of an MMO, but it's not really the same kind of game
    THIS is what I was trying to get at. I'm vague as hell haha. The experience just feels more, personal. That's all I'm trying to say.
    Last edited by Artorias; 2012-09-12 at 03:00 PM.

Deleted
    GW2 is...a bare bones MMO. It doesn't have as many features as the current p2p MMOs and tries to make up for it with a very hefty pvp content, which we all know is much easier to make as it only involves an area in which players are dropped to duke it out, basically. The amount of quests is abysmal compared to the other MMOs and makes up for it with so called "events", this seems to work though and players don't realize these events came out of of the laziness to make proper quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know where the OP is coming from.

To me it doesn't feel like an MMO, it feels like a online RPG, with people around me doing the same thing.

You don't have to group for anything on your way to max level, by group, I mean join a party. The only thing that forces you into a party is the 5 mans. You can get pretty much everything in game from solo play.

WvW doesn't make it an MMO, neither do the BGs, then you would have to say BF3 is an MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    This has to be one of the most pointless threads ive seen yet lol. If GW2 is not a MMO then MMOs are not MMOs. This is a classic example of someone really, really reaching to try and throw something negative up about GW2 lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarath View Post
    MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online.. Seeing as they got over a million players, playing together (multiplayer) online... I would say its an MMO
    ^this is the /thread post

Seriously, people saying otherwise are being just plain ridiculous.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    can you write up another thread like this in 2 months time when they release the rest of Orr? I'd be curious to see what peoples opinions are about the game then. I personally believe there will be plenty of carrot on a stick to keep people playing once that comes out for PvE etc. The thing is you dont need to gear to compete with others that have it etc. Anet said prior to launch they cut a lot of the Orr content for launch so they can focus on making the game ship as best as possible. To further confirm this if you have a look at a 100% cleared map of tyria atm...the Orr region etc has a shit tonne of area still undiscovered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    No, Guild Wars 2 isn't really an MMO. It's an Online RPG, a lot more like maybe SWTOR, than a game like WoW

It could fall under the broad category of an MMO, but it's not really the same kind of game
    First and only time I will agree with this guy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    You don't have to group for anything on your way to max level, by group, I mean join a party. The only thing that forces you into a party is the 5 mans. You can get pretty much everything in game from solo play.
    You can say the exact same thing about WoW, you know. This means, by your statements, WoW is not an MMO.

MMO does not mean "I group with other players, or else I can't get stuff done"

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Massively Multiplayer Online Role Play Game
    Is it a massive map? yes, it takes hours to clean 1 zone
    Is it Multiplayer? Yes, half the time I'm within spitting distance of atleast 2 other players just exploring the world.
    Is it Online? derp
    Are there roles? personal story, world story, instance story, players role playing.

How exactly is it not a MMO?

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    OP: You have a very narrow, subjective point of view on what makes an MMO.

It is an MMORPG. It hits every major feature. There's not really anything to discuss here.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Is it massively multiplayer? Yes you can play with 100's of people in a zone..
    Is it online? What are you retarded? Of course it's online, imagined questioner designed to prove a point.
    Can you roleplay a character? Yes and it's facilitated much more than some other mmo's.
    Is it a game? Generally yes, but some people could find themselves approaching it like a job as with a lot of these kinds of games.

I'm not trying to be facetious it's just that these are the criteria for an mmo bro

Well, it seems that OP defines 'being an MMO' as being as similar to WoW as possible. Then by all means, GW2 is not an MMO

BTW, what about all these comparisons between SWOTR and GW2??? I played SWOTR for exactly 5 hours before I got totally bored by the lack of multiplayer content. I have been playing GW2 for days now and the only thing that bores me is the personal story — everything else, the whole levelling experience is multiplayer content, something I missed in *every* game I played until now (WoW, EVE, SWOTR, LoTR, WAR).