Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    383 WPM and 45% comprehension. But then I was readin this on my cellphone and missclicked 2-3 answers with my fat fingers

254 wpm, 100% comprehension. I used to be a lot faster (and still am if I actively try to read fast), but reading from screen hurts my eyes Besides, English isn't even my native language. I need a good book now...

Deleted
    Did it again:

444 with 82% comprehension.

I read at about the speed an average person would talk. If I read any faster I end up having my consciousness flicker for a second and I don't even realized I skipped half a page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm about average 280 wpm ~65% comprehension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    The average adult reads at 300 WPM, while comprehending what it is they're reading. Do you read faster or slower than the average?

You can take a short test here: http://www.readingsoft.com/

I got 480 WPM on my first try, then I realized I could answer just 3-4 of the comprehension questions. I did it again with full comprehension and I read at 320 WPM, and it's slow for someone who reads a lot but I don't really care. I like sounding out the words in my head (but only when I'm reading books, not articles) because it makes the experience more enjoyable. I know I could improve if I stopped auditory reading (sounding out the words in my head) but I'd rather not.
    english is not my native language, so i found it hard to speed through the text and still comprehending it. i only got 229 WPM, but I'd like to try the test in swedish.

At 229 WPM, I had 91% comprehension.
    Last edited by mmoc409bdafe4d; 2012-09-15 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lzsg View Post
    You're probably an auditory reader then, like the test site says. I don't have an inner voice that reads the words to me, I just need to see them to comprehend them.
    Anyone who knows how to read can read without sub-vocalizing - a human brain can process text subconsciously upon seeing it without the said brain owner needing to develop a special skill for that. It's some of us that slow that down artificially by not letting it until we actually say each word in our mind and that is exactly what the problem is.

Also, some people suddenly became conscious of reading during this test and sub-vocalized which is not something they usually do.

P.S. In some cases, avoiding sub-vocalizing could probably detract from getting everything out of a text. Possibly - entertainment books with narrative and dialogues. And monologues. Lol. Not sure about this, though.
    Last edited by Creotor; 2012-09-15 at 08:48 PM.

Deleted
    352 WPM and 73% reading comprehension. Think I need improve on that reading comprehension part, probably by slowing down a little.

Edit: I don't really read much, 99% of what I read is from a computer screen.

Deleted
    518 wpm and 91% comprehension

484 WPM. 100% Comprehension.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    1580 WPM with 100% comprehension

But I've actually practiced and worked on the skill in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read 239 WPM with a comprehension of 61%.. though my mothers tongue isn't English, it's Dutch and I'm only 16 years old. So I think I did well.. I guess xD

Deleted
    330 WPM, 100% comprehension. Although some of the comprehension questions weren't actually in the text and I just used a mixture of common sense/guesswork to answer them.

10+ Year Old Account
    1155 wpm with 91% comprehension.
    Don't think I can complain, and just like the above poster, my mother language ain't English either. I reach about 1.3-1.4k in Dutch and French ( my mother languages)

10+ Year Old Account
    Did no one else get tripped up by all the weird turns of phrase in the passage? I feel like it took me significantly longer to read because of all the strange grammar... I was trying to read for comprehension too, thinking it'd ask really specific things, and only got 390 wpm but 100%. I could've skimmed it and got the same score though. All the questions were either "what was this number that was mentioned", which I'd get by only glancing at a block of text as numbers stick out, or 100% logic based, so I would've gotten them correct without reading the passage at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    P.S. In some cases, avoiding sub-vocalizing could probably detract from getting everything out of a text. Possibly - entertainment books with narrative and dialogues. And monologues. Lol. Not sure about this, though.
    It's weird that you say that because I have to focus on turning off my sub-vocalizing when I read dialogues with characters I've seen depicted by actors, like Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, fanfiction, etc. because it gets distracting. I end up listening to the voices instead of focusing on the content. I don't usually sub-vocalize when I read, and when I do, I get just as distracted, but it's harder to avoid when I have voices associated with the characters.
    Last edited by rethea; 2012-09-15 at 09:27 PM.
    To quote the great sage Ook Ook, "you can take the derk out of the jib, but you shouldn't put the jib in the derk."

568 WPM 91% comprehension.. not a real excellent reader but almost !

150 WPM at 82% comprehension.

Always been a slow reader, and am partly word-blind.

Though it's worth noting that I read significantly faster in my native language.

10+ Year Old Account
    WPM doesn't mean anything if you do not comprehend the material.

I made a free app for the iPhone/iPod that determines your reading fluency. It gives you an age level and grade level at how well you read, process the information, than answer a question.

The app is called "Reading Fluency Test" on iTunes. Check it out for a fairly accurate result on how fluently you read.

Most people will be surprised with how bad they are at comprehending what they read.

672 at 91% efficiency. Good enough imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.