Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

American High School

I have a question... Possibly the most important quest- Not really important but more of a question based off of sheer curiosity.

What are your guys views of American high school? Could be your own personal experience, what you may hear if you are from a different country. I'm personally trying to focus this question based more on the students around you than the actual teaching involved.

Now I know a lot of you guys may have been gamers and it could have possibly been looked down upon back then but even then some of you weren't the gamers like you may be now and could have been that popular kid for all we know. Personally I think after 4 years (I'm a senior) that it's all just a bunch of who parties the most and if you don't you're an outcast of some sort. I haven't really ever been partying and really don't see the reason too. You get your perfect innocent girls who are really just a bunch of sluts (not trying to offend anyone, I couldn't really think of a better word), your guys who brag about how they have had sex with every hot girl imaginable just to assert their male dominance, even your guys who nobody knows what they do are quiet, etc.

I don't drink, never really felt the need. I have enough fun as it is without alcohol granted you're fucked if actually caught by the police underage. There are actually some kids, I kid you not, who actually believe you can't have fun without it. Moving on, I've been known especially during certain times during the earlier years and I still struggle somewhat even now to be socially awkward in certain situations. That's probably been a huge factor of as to why I never really partied but I'll be honest, I can be just as immature if not more immature than even the people who party due to my child-like attitude sometimes... You know when you take something to far.

It's kind of annoyed me that I never really got into that crowd but I'm happy to say that I'm not part of it since half of them go drunk driving every night after a party. Overall for me, high school was fun for the sports and I met a few friends who were interested in what I do but that's about it, nothing outside of high school other than hanging with a close group of friends really interested me.

tl;dr I don't dislike it but I can partially blame myself for not liking it.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2012-09-28 at 06:02 AM.
    Hey everyone

In 5 years you won't remember high school and it won't matter at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    In 5 years you won't remember high school and it won't matter at all.
    The thread wasn't about if I remember it, more about personal opinion. I mean really why do people like you come into threads like this to increase your post count.
    Hey everyone

So you whine about high school, then whine about some guy telling you not to worry about it because it does not matter?

Sounds like someone just wants to whine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I went to a rural high-poverty school (Belle Glades, South Florida,) and it was hell. Got by because I made friends with everyone and sold them answers to assignments and tests, then played freshman football and afterwards rugby to show that I had a 'bit of fight in me. I had decent street cred', but after I drove a kid to a house, where he bought a gun to rob another kid with, I told him I didn't ride dirty and stayed out of the social scene after that.

High school is stupid.

I had a lot of fun, though, anyway. Why? Probably because it was the final point of my life where I could ignore personal responsibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So you whine about high school, then whine about some guy telling you not to worry about it because it does not matter?

Sounds like someone just wants to whine.
    I wasn't worrying about it and I wasn't whining, I was answering my own question just so it wasn't a petty one liner question. I don't believe in making threads regarding a question and not showing personal opinion. This isn't a debate, just a forum where you can discuss (hopefully staying civil) things.
    Hey everyone

You asked what people's views are on high school, s/he said what happened in high school won't matter after a while. What's the issue again?

If you just want to rant without caring about the opinions of others...there's always twitter or facebook. Or a blog! Blogs are always good!

Where I went to school Pontiac Northern, it was pretty fucking awful. Some of the teachers were terrible and just there for a paycheck, and a bunch of the students were complete morons that should have just been permanently kicked out. Anyways, I had some fun times while there, scooting by just doing enough work in each class to get the required credits to graduate. I want to say only like half of my class graduated, although I'm not 100% sure on the exact number.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, high school is the reason that I have OCD (or at least OCD tendencies) so my hands are always perpetually burned and raw from washing my hands too often in too hot of water. Well, at least the jocks have some sort of weird respect for me, and everyone else leaves me alone, so I guess it could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    I have a question... Possibly the most important quest- Not really important but more of a question based off of sheer curiosity.

What are your guys views of American high school, could be your own personal experience, what you may hear if you are from a different country. I'm personally trying to focus this question based more on the students around you than the actual teaching involved.

Now I know a lot of you guys may have been gamers and it could have possibly been looked down upon back then but even then some of you weren't the gamers like you may be now and could have been that popular kid for all we know. Personally I think after 4 years (I'm a senior) that it's all just a bunch of who parties the most and if you don't you're an outcast of some sort. I haven't really ever been partying and really don't see the reason too. You get your perfect innocent girls who are really just a bunch of sluts (not trying to offend anyone, I couldn't really think of a better word), your guys who brag about how they have had sex with every hot girl imaginable just to assert their male dominance, even your guys who nobody knows what they do are quiet, etc.

I don't drink, never really felt the need. I have enough fun as it is without alcohol granted you're fucked if actually caught by the police underage. There are actually some kids, I kid you not, who actually believe you can't have fun without it. Moving on, I've been known especially during certain times during the earlier years and I still struggle somewhat even now to be socially awkward in certain situations. That's probably been a huge factor of as to why I never really partied but I'll be honest, I can be just as immature if not more immature than even the people who party due to my child-like attitude sometimes... You know when you take something to far.

It's kind of annoyed me that I never really got into that crowd but I'm happy to say that I'm not part of it since half of them go drunk driving every night after a party. Overall for me, high school was fun for the sports and I met a few friends who were interested in what I do but that's about it, nothing outside of high school other than hanging with a close group of friends really interested me.

Just because most people ruin their lives, with heavy drinking, and heavy drug use, and misusing other peoples' bodies for their own pleasure, does not mean it is a good thing to do. All three of those things have serious consequences for you, and your state of mind.

I am glad I have saved myself from medical and physiological problems in my later years, from staying away from that crap.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh, I was a gamer from very early Vanilla WoW (thanks dad..) and i still am and a Junior right now in High School. I proudly present to people I meet that I play WoW and am a *nerd* due to the fact that I still do what I can to be outside and active, working out, playing sports..ya know, trying! But I have yet to come up to another high school kid who feels the urge to *Bully* me because of it. I am in the same position as you, with the dont want to party just have fun kinda thing. I dislike large gatherings so I choose my friends wisely. Always been the more mature one during serious times and the life of the party (not literally party) or immature fun one when messing around. I have my own lifestyle, and can sometimes be a jerk, but I am definitely not a bully. I defend others from the typical Highschool Cool-Kids.

I am a scrawny kid because I don't like to make myself seem like a jock and the center of attention..but i do want to be noticed. So instead of getting drunk, shit-faced, high, etc..I go out, and I prove to the *Cool-kids* that you truely don't NEED to do all that to have fun. Shit, I will be the first one to throw a party, but the only one to not be drinking. Mainly because I see what happens when kids dont know how to control themselves. I like to be in control..and in Highschool, the one who analyzes the possibilities/consequences of his actions is the one that will come out better than the others

^< This stuff is why I see myself as a Marine after Highschool, due to my view on Highschool. Doesn't make sense to some..but I will use what I learned in these 4 years to build myself mentally.

So all I can say to this, is Thank you to all the kids who always thought they were better than me
    Duck walks into a bar, says to the bartender, "Got any grapes?" Bartender says no, duck says "Got any grapes?" "No" "Got any grapes?" "NO!" "Got any--" "If you say got any grapes one more time I'm going to nail your bill to the wall..." "Got a nail?" "No." "Got any grapes?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked high school. People bitch about it a lot, but it's the last time in your life that you're absolutely free of responsibility. Enjoy it while you can.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

I enjoyed high school for the most part. I was a "geek," played lots of games and kept in with my own little nerdy group of friends. I've been out for six years so maybe I look back at it with rose colored glasses, but like others have said you won't care about it at all in a few years. I went to a public school, but it happened to be a pretty good place. Some of the teachers were absolutely fantastic, and were a huge influence on my choice to become a teacher. Overall, I really liked high school.

Some suggestions: Don't worry too much about the popular people. A good deal of them will get what's coming to them. In my own world, through the wonder of social media, I've gotten to hear about the jock that spit on me in middle school go to jail for getting his third DUI, a stuckup girl who wouldn't give any normal guy the time of day get knocked up by a used car salesman at 19, and a huge assortment of various assholes failing out of college and struggling to make ends meet. It feels kind of wrong to take pleasure in another person's misfortune, but looking back on some of the things they did makes me justify it.

Drinking's pretty fun, give it a chance some time. Everything in moderation of course, but it's a nice way to unwind and get to know new people. When you're younger it's more about getting fucked up and trying to put your penis in things, but when you get a little older it just becomes an enjoyable way to relax.

Keep in touch with the buddies you make. It's not so hard for the first couple of years, but as you all start to move on things just naturally get distant. My "core group" of friends was five other guys and a girl, and even though we've all gone our separate ways, we still make it a point to meet up at least once a year. As a matter of fact, one of the guys got married last weekend and it was great seeing everyone again. I'm sure it's not this way for other people, but my group and I formed some kind of connection as high school friends that none of us really found in other people as we got older. So, yeah. It's nice to be able to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post

What are your guys views of American high school, could be your own personal experience, what you may hear if you are from a different country. I'm personally trying to focus this question based more on the students around you than the actual teaching involved.

Do me a favor...read the first four words of your rambling. Then show me a single fucking question in your post.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's my opinion on it? It's more social than educational.

That's a bad thing, by the way.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played Football and Baseball in high school. When I wasn't doing that my face was in AP Chemistry, Calculus, and History books (took normal English and Sign Language). So I didn't have any time for parties. I was way more nerd than jock tho. Any time I did happen to have was on Games. I was much more social in college after I dropped the sports.

was boring. did not prepare me for college at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    The secret to enjoying High School, at least for me, was achieving what I felt was a balance between my partying and my gaming. I mean go out when I felt up to it and wanted something to do for the night, or stay home for the night and game. Simple. Doesn't have to be completely one or the other

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    was boring. did not prepare me for college at all.
    Also this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

I regret not doing better in high school, I was a rebel, and a slacker. I wish I would have actually studied and gotten good grades instead of gaming, and hanging around around potheads, even though I didn't smoke pot, they were just gamers too. Also everyone saying high school never prepared them for college is full of shit. If you do well on the ACT/SAT you can skip a lot of prerequisite courses in college.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-09-28 at 10:28 AM.