Anyone leveling as Prot?

If so, how's it going?

I've been considering it before I log in. I've also heard that quest rewards are based off what spec you currently are.

Any truth to this?

But back to the main point! Who is leveling as prot and how is it going? I'm not really worried about speed. I have to work today regardless but have the next 3 days off afterwards.. just looking at my options!

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyrock View Post
    If so, how's it going?

I've been considering it before I log in. I've also heard that quest rewards are based off what spec you currently are.

Any truth to this?

But back to the main point! Who is leveling as prot and how is it going? I'm not really worried about speed. I have to work today regardless but have the next 3 days off afterwards.. just looking at my options!

Thanks everyone.
    rewards depends of your selected spec, if you change spec before you turn quest, rewards also change

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to be leveling as Prot. I intended to start last night but the login boss defeated me. I will continue tonight in earnest and let you know how it goes

Just play as Ret and switch between specs for rewards

Quote Originally Posted by Syrrah View Post
    Just play as Ret and switch between specs for rewards
    Waaaay too boring as ret. I glyphed Harsh Words and am getting pretty good numbers with it. And most of the alliance quests have given me ample opportunity to pull 4+ mobs every time. No down time. Very minimal healing. I'm not hitting fire mage pyroblast! crits but I have very good burst.

I have leveled prot (warrior) last 2 expansions, but I do level with my wife who is a mage. If you have someone like that to level with you can go pretty fast, and it's alot of fun.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have always leveled my Pally as Prot and haven't had too many problems. Don't plan on changing it now. Besides, my off-spec is Holy.

I leveled as prot, bottom line less down time, but it takes longer to kill things. Overall more survive ability is much higher, i haven't died once and i did some stupid reckless pulls while leveling.

Pre-patch I was levelling as prot and it felt like things died extremely fast. Ever since the patch, it felt like in Prot, my pally killed things so much slower. Since then I changed over to ret, just with the self heals etc, he felt like he could kill and survive as well as my old prot levelling.

Of course, with how slow levelling feels now, prob won't touch my pally. Druid is my main, so I might try out Guardian and see what it's like.

Deleted
    Yes i am, prot but in full ret gear - i started a bit late due to work/family stuff but it's going well. My only gripe is that there are still too many people in the zone im lvling in that tag mobs. Ideally i want to pull the entire area before i stop to aoe nuke them all down and that can be tricky if they are greyed out

Survivability certainly isnt an issue, and when you have ~8+ mobs hitting you your vengence goes up quite nicely and they die reasonably fast.

I'm levelling in prot. I'm just under a million XP away from level 89 and I haven't swapped to ret once. And I've only done two dungeon runs.

It's occasionally slow, when my weapon item level isn't quite up to the mobs in the area and they're too far apart to pull more than a couple. But I can pull multiples pretty easily.

I did die once, when I pulled an elite silver dragon Mogu enchanter and he backed me into a herd of rampaging mushan. I'm psychologically unable to bypass a silver dragon creature, even if all of them take forever to kill and they've all had crappy BoP leather and mail.

it was ust too damn slow for me as prot even with pull a lot more mobs. I would still pull 3-4 mobs as ret and go faster but I was trying to get a realm first which I did end up getting

Deleted
    I just reached level 89 as Ret, but have decided to switch to Prot after a rough introduction to the Steppes. The mobs there seem more bunched up and nasty than before. Prot seems to have dramatically superior survivability and while damage is less, it's not too slow for me.

Earlier zones, I'd recommend Ret as there just isn't much danger so the survivability is overkill and Ret is much quicker at burning down mobs that otherwise would be annoying (there's a lot of "kill X boars" quests, however cunningly disguised).

The rewards issue is a pain - it seems totally inconsistent; sometimes you are only offered Ret, sometimes you get a choice of Ret, Prot or Holy. Respeccing to check out the "hidden" Prot option is annoying. But pre-89, the gear is transitory so it hardly matters.

Also, I feel I need to practice being Prot again, after 4 levels as Ret, I am starting to feel like a dps player, not the MT of my guild.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm leveling as ret for quests in a combination of ret and prot gear. Swapping to prot for blue-level rewards and instance runs. Keeps me fresh on the use of both ability sets, and when competing with 20 other people for quest mobs, prot AoE pulling hasn't been too efficient for me the times I've given it a go.

I leveled as prot and it was a mistake. Won't make that mistake on my alt pallies, lol.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a quick update to my earlier post, I started leveling as Prot and found it to be really slow going, although I am never close to dying even after pulling multiple mobs.

Infact, I got so fed up of the speed that I switched to leveling my warlock. I will return to my Pally though sometime over the weekend.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanthanum View Post
    As a quick update to my earlier post, I started leveling as Prot and found it to be really slow going, although I am never close to dying even after pulling multiple mobs.

Infact, I got so fed up of the speed that I switched to leveling my warlock. I will return to my Pally though sometime over the weekend.
    Same here. I'm still pushing 90 on my Prot Paladin, but it is slow going. I wish that I had worked on finishing that Ret set prior to MoP. I can pull an insane amount of mobs and never have any issue with low health, but it takes a while. You almost have to AoE pull a lot to get the Vengeance stacks to be worth a damn. Otherwise, single target is extremely tedious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm leveling as ret, but upon receiving quest rewards, I switch to prot for new gear. Obviously I run dungeons as prot, unless someone else from the guild wants to tank, then I go as ret.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    You almost have to AoE pull a lot to get the Vengeance stacks to be worth a damn. Otherwise, single target is extremely tedious.
    You probably will be surprised to see 590k HP mobs which you will need to kill for lv90 dailies in Vale. After I was done with those dailies, no wish to play today anymore. I am really sorry to say that, but prot at lv90 sucks balls. GC must be fired.