Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This thread confuses me. It's like arguing over whether magenta is purple or pink, and I hope it's not pink, because pink is a lame girl's color, right?

Right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stasso View Post
    But she wasn't unbiased, she had the bias of what her students would play, she had the bias that games are for kids. You seem to not understand that what she said might be trivial to you but as you can see in this thread people got upset by it. It wasn't a tactful thing to say, and you would earn more respect if you just bow out instead of dragging this out, making yourself and your spouse look ignorant.
    She has no bias that video games are for "just for kids", as we play them somewhat regularly together.

Fact is, people were discussing (on a discussion forum no less, CRAZY!! I know!) if they thought MoP seems childish or not. Everyone who was posting was only giving their own opinions, opinions that were formed with the knowledge of what WoW is and what MoP is. I thought it'd be fitting to post what my wife thought, a person with no preconceived notion nor vendetta (the closest thing to a control in the thread) against WoW or MoP, based solely off the box art and the fact that among other things, a pokemon-esqe game was being added.

Lastly, if you think I care one iota about "respect" on a gaming forum you're sadly mistaken.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalept View Post
    This thread confuses me. It's like arguing over whether magenta is purple or pink, and I hope it's not pink, because pink is a lame girl's color, right?
    So that means I MUST wear pink shirts, just because it's not girly?

My wife, with no other information at hand or knowledge of anything about the game took one look at that and said
    "I don't know why you still play that game"
    This shows that she indeed had prior knowledge of this game as she has known you to play it. I bet you could tell her you are going to quit and her words will probably be "I am proud of you".

"This looks like a kids game, with kung fu pandas and shit"
    She has the bias that since it is a panda who knows martial arts it must be like the movie, and she relates straight to that and jumps on it with bias that movies with antromorphic fighting animals and games like them are for kids. Hardly an impartial source.

I said, "you haven't heard the half of it, Blizzard the maker of the game in introducing a mini game very very close to pokemon in it as well"
    You had bias that the pet battle was just a ripoff of pokemon and since pokemon is played by kids this mini game must be too. So you influence, albeit subtle, your own bias on the matter.

You have contradicted yourself, you had bias, you gave bias to your wife and your wife chose to say something to subtlety spite you with
    "I don't know why you still play that game, it sounds like something my special ed. kids would play"
    She should have said students, and not label them. She sounds like she doesn't approve of you playing the game, and try to embarrass you by saying that her students are just like you in that they like childish things.

Edit:You obviously aren't a person who deserves attention or respect then and I will kindly ignore you

10+ Year Old Account
    Also to everyone who thinks Panda's are fierce and wild and ferocious, just look at Disneyland.. lol walking mouses, and talking dogs.. Cartoony pandas fit in that same realm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Since when got MoP an animated movie??!!
    2011 called, they want their stupid remarks back.

Honestly, wow has ALWAYS been a cartoon-styled game. We have talking wolves and talking COWS, and now people find pandaren stupid?

I really don't see the difference between those "humanized" animal races, aside from the fact that pandaren look better because they're newer. (Worgen are just ugly, but that's my opinion)
    Last edited by mmoc8f46f67acf; 2012-09-28 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Also to everyone who thinks Panda's are fierce and wild and ferocious, just look at Disneyland.. lol walking mouses, and talking dogs.. Cartoony pandas fit in that same realm.
    It's really weird how people ignore or overlook that WOW is all cartoon races. Cartoon elves, cartoon demons, cartoon pandas, in a cartoon world, deliberately made to look like a Don Bluth or Disney animated spoof of Warhammer.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

I have yet to see a single aspect in game that portrays the Pandaren as childish.

Wait, Jaylock..oh yeah you don't play WoW anymore.

You know, it's kinda funny.

I did every quest in every single zone now in Mists since launch.

In all honesty as well I originally thought the Pandaren were a little gimicky and weird. I even thought that a bit through Beta.

Now, until you judge them COMPLETELY, get in game and do every quest.

You FEEL for their race.

You feel the FEROCITY in their fight to stay free.

You witness their PRIDE to protect their homeland.

You gain insight into What. Is. Worth. Fighting. For.

You may see them as childish without doing everything, sure.

But on a Lore perspective, you wanna know what I see Jaylock since, unfortunately, your rebuttals are lowering to a level of bringing Disney into this?

I see a people who fought for their right of freedom against massive, powerful oppressors. I see a race of beings who taught themselves to fight from NOTHING and rose to be fearsome, yet calm and loving warriors.

There's Chen, who came to Pandaria in search of his family. What he found was his family business in ruins, an Uncle running it into the dirt, and all but ONE of his relatives dead.

There's Tan Zhu, who is filled with the pride of protecting his homeland unhelped and unaided. He believes that the Pandaren are the only ones who belong in Pandaria, but his view changes over each and every zone. It begins with his hate for the invaders, aka us, growing to a point he's possessed by the Sha of Hatred when it invades Shao Pan Monastery.

There's Loremaster Cho, who welcomes us usurpers with open arms and teachers us the legends of these forgotten lands. And when he sees the horrors of war we brought, he STILL has hope for us to save Pandaria from the horrors of the Sha we, inadvertantly, released.

You see childish after all this? Play every zone. Read every quest. Witness every cutscene.

You actually feel for the Pandaren and see what. Is. Worth. Fighting. For.

/end rant
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    I just texted her. Told tell her a guy took offense and got upset on a wow forum becasue I said at first glance you thought it looked like a child's game.

Her response, verbatim

lol, he must be real popular with the ladies. why are you on a wow forum talking about me you dork!

I digress. This topic is preposterous. I wrote what I wrote because it was an unbiased opinion based on the subject matter. At first glance to people unbeknownst to the inter workings of WoW, MoP very much looks like a kids game, more so than at any other point in WoW's history.
    I was joking.

Was it unclear? With the whole "Honey Boo Boo" reference? Or the "my eyes just rolled out of my head" comment? Or the Dragon Naturally Speaking comment? Or the "say hello to your wife for me" comment?

But yeah, you can tell Honey Boo Boo that I'm very popular with my wife, thanks!

It's kind of funny how overly seriously you (and Zolascius) took my innocuous comment. Since you apparently can't read between the lines: I wasn't offended. I just think your wife sounds a little like Honey Boo Boo if that's a direct quote.

Maybe read this and think about how it might apply to you:

"With no coercion on my part, so you latch on to an innocuous comment and think it clearly makes them a bad person."

The whole irony of your reaction has been entertaining to me though, thanks.

BTW: My favorite part was you walking bald-faced and ignorant into the Dragon Naturally Speaking comment. I can't believe it was you of all the people here who took the bait.
    Last edited by Appletini; 2012-09-28 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Yeah that's called joking.
    Over the internet it's not as obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    It just feels like you're trolling to me Jaylock. Give me a real reason to why pandaren is childish without bringing in Disney and Kung fu panda.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
    I was joking.

Was it unclear? With the whole "Honey Boo Boo" reference? Or the "my eyes just rolled out of my head" comment? Or the Dragon Naturally Speaking comment? Or the "say hello to your wife for me" comment?

But yeah, you can tell Honey Boo Boo that I'm very popular with my wife, thanks!

It's kind of funny how overly seriously you (and Zolascius) took my innocuous comment. Since you apparently can't read between the lines: I wasn't offended. I just think your wife sounds a little like Honey Boo Boo if that's a direct quote.

Maybe read this and think about how it might apply to you:

"With no coercion on my part, so you latch on to an innocuous comment and think it clearly makes them a bad person."

The whole irony of your reaction has been entertaining to me though, thanks.

BTW: My favorite part was you walking bald-faced and ignorant into the Dragon Naturally Speaking comment. I can't believe it was you of all the people here who took the bait.
    I'm more interested in the fact that this guy cared enough to text that person about it and make a statement regarding it. That's like, the definition of childish.

Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    It just feels like you're trolling to me Jaylock. Give me a real reason to why pandaren is childish without bringing in Disney and Kung fu panda.
    ^I second this completely. And respond to my previous post too.

10+ Year Old Account
    you don't call the place where tauren live Tauraria or cowaria
    you don't call the place where dwarves live Dwafaria.
    you don't call the place where humans live Humaria.
    you don't call the place trolls live Trollaria.
    you don't call outlands Orcaria.
    You don't call Northrend Vrykularia, Deathknightaria or Lichkingaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I did every quest in every single zone now in Mists since launch.
    Its funny. It really is. I was really ready to buy mists. Then I just read this. Is mists really that short? This makes me really sad. There is so little in mists. Sure there is content to grind doing something once doesn't mean you have done it on the hardest setting but..... the game just came out.

---------- Post added 2012-09-27 at 09:20 PM ----------

Kung foo panda came out after Warcraft claimed Pandas this is true. But Pandas in wow did not originally do kung foo, fight mantises, cute big eyed monsters, or have a cut scene that my mother saw on tv and was convinced it was a new Kung Foo Panda movie. The humor in that cut scene and the actions of fighting and fixing antiques are very much like the Jack Black movie.

---------- Post added 2012-09-27 at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mcnally86 View Post
    Its funny. It really is. I was really ready to buy mists. Then I just read this. Is mists really that short? This makes me really sad. There is so little in mists. Sure there is content to grind doing something once doesn't mean you have done it on the hardest setting but..... the game just came out.

---------- Post added 2012-09-27 at 09:20 PM ----------

Kung foo panda came out after Warcraft claimed Pandas this is true. But Pandas in wow did not originally do kung foo, fight mantises, cute big eyed monsters, or have a cut scene that my mother saw on tv and was convinced it was a new Kung Foo Panda movie. The humor in that cut scene and the actions of fighting and fixing antiques are very much like the Jack Black movie.

---------- Post added 2012-09-27 at 09:25 PM ----------

Actually I haven't had classes for the last few days and I told my friends my social life would be dead this week cuz Mists came out and..yes.

When I hit 90 I did Krasarang Wilds which I didn't get a chance to do while levelling too.

So, no, it's not sad for Mists. It's sad at the fact you're assuming things dude!

Deleted
    The anwser is simple OP. Pandarean and MoP are what fillers are to anime. They come out of nowhere, suddenly they are relevant, they can affect the story line, they have no solid back story whatsoever and the only back bone they really have is a easter egg in W3. Yes they were in Warcraft Universe according to roleplay books, but lets be honest here... how many are really playing them? Definitely not majorty. Who heard about Warcraft Roleplay books? Minority... Who heard about Kung fu Panda? Pretty much every single human in 1st world. So what MoP resembles more? W3 books minority reads or Kung fu Panda everyone in and outside of gaming saw or heard?

WoW primary lore source is games because Warcraft universe is mainly games. Pandarean primary introduction and lore sauce was a easter egg W3 map. They are originally a joke. Their introduction was humorous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Man, hasn't this horse been beaten beyond death already? Seriously.
    No.

/target Dead Horse
    /cast Beat
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    I find it amusing that in a game with dragons, elves, gnomes and shit people actually whine that pandas are childish. Seriously. Dragons and elves.

I guess druid cat forms are childish, but no one complains about them. how about a bear mount? not much different than a panda, I bet that`s childish. how about wisps and faeries, they`re childish. how about undead? what is this halloween? tauren? cows that talk? why don`t people ever complain about the dozens of childish things in WoW? in any game?

the way peoples brains sometimes work is they try to find bad things to say about what they see. they see pandas, and they go "OH, kung fu panda. lol gg blizz 12 year olds". that`s how peoples minds work sometimes. people who don`t play the game, like the game, and talk crap about the game and use the game being "childish" are just people who don`t have a clue about the game.

you`re more then welcome to your opinion on it, if you don`t like it and your reasons. however if your opinion is something i`d read in a youtube comment that is reminiscent of a comment i`d see on a CoD vs BF flame war, then you`re just a child yourself