Hello there, im currently thinking of picking my mage up again with the idea of going Frost, a spec which i havent played since TBC (back when Frost/Arcane) was viable.

Im currently Arcane and at around 460 ilevel after levelling my mage before patch 5.2 hit (i was trying the Haste/Invocation build as Arcane, after using the Scorch-Weaving ROP build if that helps).

Would it be worth switching to Frost at this point to get used to the rotation properly, or should i perhaps wait for better gear? Also, if i do learn to play the spec properly, and manage to get atleast LFR geared, do you think it would be able to hold its own dps wise in Normal raids if required?

Deleted
    Frost isnt gear hungry as fire or somewhat arcane could be.

It also doesnt scale as much, so you can respec frost now, that's not a problem at all, you may even see a big bump in dps according you enchant/gem/do the rotation somewhat properly ^^.

Gearing is pretty fast, in 2 days I leveled a warlock and was 477 ilvl with it, just doing LFR / Buying PVP gear. So i could go to HoF/Terrace without a problem.

Nat, I think he's referring to NT ticks?

Relic is still showing higher for me since I had rotten luck with hLotC and didn't upgrade my EoT. I guess it is for that reason Nat pointed out above, haste just doesn't scale for frost like crit for fire I guess. I could get an extra tick using EoT when it procs, but I like having the more frequent Relic procs for now.

I'm... er... warming up to frost. I still feel like sometimes I just can't hit the buttons fast enough to use my procs sometimes, but NT has definitely been very generous lately with FFB procs.

well due to my Mage being sat at an ilevel where i can jump into LFR, then id planned on speccing frost, having a bit of time getting used to it via dailies, and then potentially jumping into LFR to get my gearscore up enough to jump into the new raids, although, worse case scenario, is i dont get used to the roatation and my dps sucks.

My problem is, that even in LFR, i still like to pull my weight, this is why i wanted to know if Frost would be any good without decent gear.

Thank you for the quick reply, though

Deleted
    I usually goes with this priority on procs :

BF (cause if you dont use BF fast enough you might loose a proc (if you use NT))
    2nd proc of FoF (same thing, could be wasting a proc)

And I usually keep my one FoF until I have enchants/trinkets or w/e to maximize damage, Akraen gave me the idea, didnt ever thought about it, thats just genius .

Deleted
    Hi there. ive a question: did anyone notice a nerf from yesterday to today with the icelance damage? my crits are much lower than yesterday - same buffs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by haudi View Post
    Hi there. ive a question: did anyone notice a nerf from yesterday to today with the icelance damage? my crits are much lower than yesterday - same buffs etc.
    Did you replace or lose your 2 piece T14 bonus?

Deleted
    no, i Play with 2 Piece t14...

I don't think Ice Lance was nerfed, though I only have as much evidence as you do

10+ Year Old Account
    I did not notice an ice lance nerf.

However, I am anticipating some sort of adjustment to Nether Tempest, as I'm finding it snapshots intellect as well as crit/haste.

Deleted
    An hiden Hotfix ?
    They revert the +10% cleave ?
    Bug ?

So ive been playing my mage a bit today, fiddling around with it, im on 462 ilevel, and im still getting used to it, but im not sure what sort of dps i should be doing...i manage to burst upto around 118k but cant manage to break 50-60k in LFR as a sustained amount of dps...

Is that about right for my ilevel would anyone think? i wont ask if im going wrong with the rotation, cause im following the one in Kuni's post as much as i can (although sometimes i manage to clip a frostbolt before using BF/FoF procs, which maybe my problem).

Deleted
    You shouldnt care about dps this early in gearing, but it seems okay for your ilvl

Quote Originally Posted by Nathyiel View Post
    Breackpoint ? There's no breakpoint as Frost, only for Living Bomb.
    (explained here, not updated for 5.2 but it still true)
    NT has breakpoints for extra ticks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aycheff View Post
    NT has breakpoints for extra ticks
    Except we stack haste>all other secondaries so its irrelevant...
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    He is right, I have seen very fleeing points where 2 haste > 1 int, but it doesn't last.

quick question - is it a dps increase to clip a frostbolt cast in order to fire off a BF proc while using NT bomb?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazzster View Post
    quick question - is it a dps increase to clip a frostbolt cast in order to fire off a BF proc while using NT bomb?
    Really don't think so, finish your cast, fire your BF proc just after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazzster View Post
    I never do that. Whenever I test it, I see a DPS increase. Frostbolt isn't a long cast time thankfully so it's not so bad to just finish the cast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    I never do that. Whenever I test it, I see a DPS increase. Frostbolt isn't a long cast time thankfully so it's not so bad to just finish the cast.
    dps increase or dps loss ?