Deleted

Internet download and upload

Hi, Iam deciding between two major internet and tv providers, theyr highest package is like this (Iam from Slovakia, EU):

UPC: 120 Mb/s download, 10 Mb/s upload + basic HD tv pack = 36,80 EUR/month

Orange: 100 Mb/s download, 100 Mb/s upload + basic HD tv pack = 36,97 EUR/month

Which one would you choose? I dont know how high those numbers will be in real life and I dont know if I need so much upload speed, this will be home PC, for gaming, movies and ocasional work.

Thank you for advice.

Deleted
    100 Mb/s has top download speed of around 12.5 MB/s (megabyte per second) plus it's 100 Mb/s upload (torrenting legal files aye?) so I'd pick that. 120/10 is worthless as you are open for more options with the 100/100.

Don't forget that speed is not the only important piece of information when deciding on an ISP. See if you can find others who are using both, and find out average pings to various websites, as almost nothing is more important for gaming. I'd also do some research to see if either ISP uses any traffic shaping or throttling. I know most European ISPs don't (curse you British ISPs), but it's worth checking.

I'd go with the 100/100 service.

Deleted
    I'm for the 100/100 too, but I'd also consider technical support: if your line is noisy/disconnects/down how quickly do you expect each ISP to react to fix the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Furlong View Post
    I'm for the 100/100 too, but I'd also consider technical support: if your line is noisy/disconnects/down how quickly do you expect each ISP to react to fix the issue?
    True. Maybe the OP has a friend that has the provider and he/she can test it out? Do a line and speed test, etc. Or possible check online reviews of both companies and see how many people complain about the service.

Deleted
    Orange is a french company, actually what remains as an ISP from the old national phone company, France Telecoms.

It's one of the 3 mains ISP in France and its not particularly well known for its tremendous speed. People over here usually get 2 to 10 mbytes/s dl and like 0.5 to 3 mb/s upload with this ISP, on a classic phone line. 100/100 is pure commercial bullcrap OR means you have a top notch modern XDSL line. If so, then good for you.

Their support is good but slow. Veeeery slow. You have to perform tests you already did when the same problem reappears. Efficient on the long term, but sooo annoying.

They also had a record of throttling bad connections back in 2009. You had to call them and ask them to remove the Digital line management from your line, wich was a throttling system to ensure the packets weren't lost on your line... Resulting in a connectin 75% slower.

This ISP also has a record for employees suicides in its french main branch. When only half the employees do their work correctly and are forced to do the work of the laziest over half, stress happens.

Currently, only people who do need a simple, reliable, but not too performing internet connection use Orange. Others already switched to Free/Illiad, wich is a pure hell in terms of customer service but gives you up to 28Mbytes/s DL on its DSL lines... Wich is almost the speed of Orange optic fiber over here. Oh the irony.

I don't kow UPS (netherland company right?) but if I was you, I would not read the commercial flyers to judge an ISP. Really.

Ask your neighboors about their ping, upload and download rate. Best advice I can give.

Deleted
    Currently paying for 100mb Broadband and I've never had a download speed greater than 2.4mb.

Got a friend who pays for 10mb and he gets 12mb download (yes more than what he pays for).

Broadband is complete and utter luck so go for the cheaper option, upload speed is irrelevant and you probably won't see a difference in the download speeds.

Deleted
    I would like to thank everybody for your advice.

I did some research then, and sadly I didnt find anybody with this type of conection. However, I got something:

I currently have UPC 30/3 package, and speedtest.net shows results: 26.53/3.33 which is preety surprising.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2217227583.png

About Orange, I have found test in IT online magazine with package 100/100 and their results from speedtest.net are average 89.19/73.77 (picture shows one of 7 tests).
    http://www.zive.sk/ShowArticleImages...article=297363

About customer support, I got UPC for two years now, it was never needed, internet was down only 2 times, and both times they send email to anounce that, which was nice. Orange is my longtime cellphone provider, I didnt had any problems with support either, however I dont know about internet support.

So I will probably go for Orange with 100/100.

Deleted
    I know this is unrelated somewhat due to being in the UK.
    Am I the only person that gets speeds above what they pay for?
    I pay for 50mb/s from virgin. speedtest putting me at 56.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    Currently paying for 100mb Broadband and I've never had a download speed greater than 2.4mb.
    My connection is 20 MB and I get about 2.7 mb/s worth of download.

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 12:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparrow View Post
    I know this is unrelated somewhat due to being in the UK.
    Am I the only person that gets speeds above what they pay for?
    I pay for 50mb/s from virgin. speedtest putting me at 56.
    Same here I pay for 20mb/s and I get around 24 with speedtest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Believe me you won't notice a difference between 100 or 120 mb/s download.

You WILL however notice a difference between 10 or 100 mb/s upload every time you need to send a file(s) to someone, use a cloud service, upload pictures somewhere, video chat with people, run any server of any kind etc etc etc.

Get 100/100.

Deleted
    So I was in touch with landlord, and news were kind of dissapointing. Only UPC and two minor ISPs have installed their connector on the roof. Reason is that Orange and T-Mobile, other two other big ISP providers here, refuses to install their connector on the roof with reason, that 24 flats building is not big enough, even that this is neigbrohood area and there is building across the street with it. So now 18 flats are using UPC, 6 got minors. I dont understand how 24 potential customers are not a reason to do it. So 120/10 from UPC is the fastest thing that I can have anyway. Thanks for advice.

I would find someone across the street that wants free internet. Sign up and pay for it yourself and get a nice wireless N device pointed out the window over to a bridge at your house. Just my thoughts, but Wireless N with 100/100 behind it will be faster than wired with 120/10.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    My connection is 20 MB and I get about 2.7 mb/s worth of download.
    As I said already...

Broadband is complete and utter luck.