Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Funny that 2.7M and people are saying it's low or the game is dying.

Yet GW2 sold 2M, less than an 8 years old game expansion, yet it was seen as a huge success.

Irony.
    This. MoP is not even a full game like GW2. It's simply an expansion. I'm not sure why people have astronomical expectations from WoW while they give the other MMOs some slack. But hey, bashing the most successful MMORPG out there must offer some degree of satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    Not terminal decline, but decline yes.

Your point?

Because it did? What do you want me to lie?

Lol?

Hence me saying it sold like shit?
    You cant compare it to when the game was at its peak, its coming up on 9 years old now, its natural that it'll decline, all great empires eventually fall. Also this does not affect you or me in any way whatsoever, I dont see why you're putting such a huge emphasis on numbers like its the fucking end of the world.. of warcraft.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah dude, whatever floats your boat.
    Yes. It is actually. If you can be some die hard hate and doom talk then I can be happy and be positive. I guess I just hate people that only post negative things when there is a light in the room so to speak.

Other posters are also annoyed it seems with your negative attitude which makes people angry. Someone has to be positive sometimes.

The decline was newsworthy in Wrath when the subs first dropped, the fact it is still in decline should be expected.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holydorf View Post
    Indeed, it depends how you define competition and "falling flat on their face", too.
    I'm a fan too, but i'm also realistic.
    I stand my point. Good numbers all considered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Your actually pretty wrong here. In the NA/EU market those games competed fairly well. Swotr prolly had about 40% of the NA/EU market in terms of subs at its height. GW2 Sales wise had the same. I know alot of ppl like to throw out the 9.2 or the 10 or the 12 mil subs for WoW but you cant use those numbers when comparing to recent MMO launches. The NA/EU playerbase is somewhere between 4-5 million subscribers. So if swtor is pulling 2 mil at its height it was actually doing fairly well. Swtor isnt competing with Blizz in china so you cant add those numbers in. Thats like a US only restaurant chain competing against a EU/NA restaurant chain. The EU/NA chain is gonna make way more money and have a ton more customers just because of the fact that its area of distribution is bigger. The only thing the US chain is compeating with is the EU/NA resturants in the US.

I forgot to mention "In comparison" after "falling flat on their face". Obviously other games appeal to their own audience. What I was getting as is that WoW is the game that has the broadest appeal of all, and it's still way above everyone else at that.

Personally, I actually find it a bit sad. I am an ex-WoW player myself, but without any "new home". I have yet to find another appealing game to replace WoW, but I can't play WoW either because I don't like it anymore. Perhaps I am a mainstream player. I was also highly "addicted" to Mario in the 90's, aswell as Sonic and to go down to the even more simplistic type of game... Tetris. All games that have had major success and could easily be labeled as "mainstream".

What I am saying is, we need another mainstream game, as the current competition doesn't seem to cut it. They get their audience, but it's far from as broad as WoW. Obviously, there could be many reasons why WoW became that mainstream game(timing of it's original release being one of them, followed by later attatchement to years of accomplishments people aren't willing to leave easily), but at the same time, knowing how picky I am, yet always fall for the mainstream games, I think it's more than that behind it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    You cant compare it to when the game was at its peak, its coming up on 9 years old now, its natural that it'll decline, all great empires eventually fall. Also this does not affect you or me in any way whatsoever, I dont see why you're putting such a huge emphasis on numbers like its the fucking end of the world.. of warcraft.
    This is also a good addition to what I said.

Your point?
    Except it's 900,000 more than earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    And? What actually matters is the monthly total.
    what matters is that sales spike from day one and get lower and lower and lower. Which means that maybe day 1 sales were 2 mil who knows but the rest of that 700k was over a period of 6 days. Unlike the other expansions which spiked at at around that first number. meaning they will likely sell less copies of MoP than the other expansions, but that also relies on the total playerbase, So since there were less players in BC, MoP can still sell more copies than BC over a month, But since Cata had the largest player base MoP will not sell more than Cata did.

Deleted
    Could someone here please explain to me the logic behind caring whether 5, 7, 10 or 12 million people play the game when it's still #1 in it's own little sub genre globally by a margin of, like, ridiculousness, where a single realm can hold one hundredth of the total amount of subscribers, where battlegrounds and instances pop up with a 1-5 minute queue and where you can now play with people from other realms and your realID friend list as well?

I really, really can't understand how having 9 or 10 or 12 million subscribers makes any difference to anyone's life in any imaginable way.

Anyone?

Also, have you people thought about this: what if the pool of people who were ever going to play WoW was like, oh I don't know, 12 million, back when WoW had 12 million subscribers? Time goes on, what happens? People get older. People get married. People die. Lives change. Somehow magically though, every single person who no longer feels like playing WoW or any other similar game should be replaced by a brand new WoW fanatic, except like five, six, seven, eight years after the launch.

Nah, but that's way too complicated.

Much easier to think of it in black and white terms.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-10-04 at 04:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Could someone here please explain to me the logic behind caring whether 5, 7, 10 or 12 million people play the game when it's still #1 in it's own little sub genre globally by a margin of, like, ridiculousness, where a single realm can hold one hundredth of the total amount of subscribers, where battlegrounds and instances pop up with a 1-5 minute queue and where you can now play with people from other realms and your realID friend list as well?

I really, really can't understand how having 9 or 10 or 12 million subscribers makes any difference to anyone's life in any imaginable way.

Anyone?
    Because people feed off this negative energy in threads like this. It actually is quite funny because that is exactly what the Sha is in Mists of Pandaria. Why can people not be positive.. who knows

Anyone?
    Nope! People just want to force their opinions on others if they don't like something. This is how wars start irl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    While that is true... I have to admit that it's splitting hairs. First week vs First day? All it means is MoP had a weaker first-day sales than previous expansions. If anything, by maybe a couple hundred thousand.

Coming out of Cataclysm and the CRZ debacle... I'm even honestly surprised they actually sold 2.7 the first week! :P
    Yes but this needed to have a stronger start imo, especially if it was to get us out of Cataclysm's slump.

The weaker that start is, the less valid the claims are that Cataclysm was just a bad expansion.

I was hoping that it was the case, that we really just had a shit expansion.

But if overall we just stay having weak sales and subscription gains, or even more losses (pending the report after the annual pass lets out) the more it points towards a weakening game as a whole, or even genre.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    Because people feed off this negative energy in threads like this. It actually is quite funny because that is exactly what the Sha is in Mists of Pandaria. Why can people not be positive.. who knows
    Because I will just lie to myself and others to justify some irrational belief.

That's called denial. And you're covering all three bases my friend.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The love is strong with this one?

I never once said that.

It sold like shit, and it brought back less than it should've, is all I'm saying.

Hell, annual pass hasn't even expired yet.

And why are you mad?
    What are you basing this from? What is the magic number for it to be a good sale? you say you aren't saying it has to beat previous sales but yet.....

It sold like shit, and it brought back less than it should've, is all I'm saying.

And I'm not mad. I'm sitting here calmly reading a forum and having a discuccion. You are the one here swearing and being rude because an expansion didn't sell as good as the last one.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I will just lie to myself and others to justify some irrational belief.

That's called denial. And you're covering all three bases my friend.
    Come on.. keep at it be negative, please continue

Deleted
    It sold like shit
    In other news...

I'm not very concerned with the sales

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    What are you basing this from? What is the magic number for it to be a good sale? you say you aren't saying it has to beat previous sales but yet.....

And I'm not mad. I'm sitting here calmly reading a forum and having a discuccion. You are the one here swearing and being rude because an expansion didn't sell as good as the last one.
    Look at subscriber levels after each expansion release. It surely beats out 900k.

And dude, this is how I post. I don't know what else to tell you lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    Except it's 900,000 more than earlier this year.
    Still a net loss.

Your point?

In other news...
    Yeah, no shit. It sold like shit, other than that, I'm not concerned with it.

But people trying to justify some inane belief that these sales are glorious is just silly.

Bottom line is less ppl are playing MoP at launch than were playing Cata at launch. <---- Is not a good thing for the company. Regardless of Sub numbers we dont know exactly how those are calculated across regions. All i know is that Less ppl are playing the expansion and more ppl are playing the game, which is weird... but ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    In other news...
    This made me lol. Conscious your not doing to well here.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Look at subscriber levels after each expansion release. It surely beats out 900k.
    As someone that works in sales this is still not a bad thing. It's just not as god as before. It's still good sales numbers. Something at ther company can match to date.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    This made me lol. Conscious your not doing to well here.
    Denial (also called abnegation) is a defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence.[1]

The subject may use:

simple denial: deny the reality of the unpleasant fact altogether
    minimisation: admit the fact but deny its seriousness (a combination of denial and rationalization)
    projection: admit both the fact and seriousness but deny responsibility by blaming somebody or something else.

Neither are you :>

Like I said, all three bases!

Stop derailing and making things personal. Keep it civil
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-10-04 at 04:47 PM.