25m Elegon questions concerning stage 1

Among the 25m guilds that have killed it.

Stage 1 questions:

1. How many tanks are you using in 25m?

2. If you are using two, how are you dealing with the tank swaps on Elegon to clear stacks of Overload?

3. Are you swapping tanks per summoning of Celestial Protector so the tank that was on Elegon can clear stacks of overload?

4. How many stacks of overload are you allowing your Elegon tank to get before clearing them?

5. Are you having both melee and ranged switch to the Celestial Protector or alternating who switched on the protector in order to keep maximum dps uptime on Elegon during stage 1.

After wiping 14 times last night to this boss I feel like we need to clean up our execution of stage 1. Stage 2 and 3 seemed to go ok for us, but then struggled again in cycle 2, stage 1.

What is the point in new content if the only thing you want to do is read a "how-to-defeat-boss-X" guide. The challenge is to figure these kind of things out yourself and if you're guild is hardcore enough to be raiding already you should have no trouble with this.

Also, 14 whipes isn't a lot. It's just the idea that you learn from your whipes and do better the next time...

I dont want to read a x & Y guide... I can do that on icy veins. I am mainly comparing notes to what we were doing and what other successful guilds are doing.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not that we have downed it, but this is what we settled on doing:

I am Tank 1. On the pull I leap in and tank the boss. Tank 2 stays outside the ring so he has 0 stacks.
    First add spawns. As soon has he fully spawns and starts moving, Tank 2 comes in and taunts the boss, and I charge and pick up the add. At this point Tank 2 is tanking the boss and has 1 stack, and I pick up the add and have around 6 or 7 stacks.
    So I pick up the add and drag it over to the Healer/Ranged pile. I have around 8 or 9 stacks at this point, so I step out for a second to clear, then step back in. Melee has been staying on the boss, but at this point they start moving toward the edge. Add is at 30% health and I start moving out of the ring. Add crosses over 25% and starts pulsing. By this time all the melee is there to DPS the add and clear their stacks. The add dies and starts casting Annihilation; Tank 2 is still on the boss and has around 6 stacks or so, all the Melee and Ranged and Healers have stepped out of the ring to clear that stacks. DURING the cast of Annihilation, everyone steps inside the ring; they get 1 stack of 5% damage taken, but they also have the 50% increased healing taken buff so that when Annihilation goes off they already getting healed from ground effects and dots.

So now that the add is dead, Tank 1 (me) is still standing out by the edge of the ring with 0 stacks. The second add spawns, I charge in to the boss and taunt. Now we repeat the process; Tank 2 goes and picks up the adds, takes it to ranged, clears his debuff, ranged take it to 50%, melee start moving to the add, melee step out and clear for a second while DPSing the add, Tank 2 drags the add out of the ring as it gets to 25%, burn the add, everyone clear before Annihilation, everyone step in DURING Annihilation, everyone starts getting healed up. Tank swap again when the next add pops.

That's how it was working out for us. We made it to the transition several times. We just need to work on other things, like holding damage for the transition so that we aren't dealing with an Add going into the transition, and still working out how best to clear the mortal-strike debuff effect. We only worked on it for about an hour last night.

1.) Two
    2.) Tank A=The one who starts on Elegon at the pull. Tank B=The one who isn't. Tank A will start the pull. When an add comes out, Tank A will pick it up while Tank B runs in to taunt the boss. Tank A takes the add outside of the center when the add is about to die. A's stacks reset, so he goes back in to taunt the boss. Tank B runs out, resets, comes back in and taunts while Tank A does a rinse and repeat of picking up the add.
    3.) See #2
    4.) I on average was getting 5-7 stacks
    5.) For 25m, yes we had all dps switch to it

---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 11:38 AM ----------

Also a bit more info as to what I do: I'm a monk (Tank A for my raid). I will smash the add really quick, roll out of the middle to reset my stacks. I then run back in to resume tanking the mob. Keep in mind that this mob sometimes just likes to chill in the middle, even when the tank is not even close to him. He CAN NOT die in the middle, or else it's a wipe, so DPS really need to pay attention.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragesfury View Post
    1.) Two
    2.) Tank A=The one who starts on Elegon at the pull. Tank B=The one who isn't. Tank A will start the pull. When an add comes out, Tank A will pick it up while Tank B runs in to taunt the boss. Tank A takes the add outside of the center when the add is about to die. A's stacks reset, so he goes back in to taunt the boss. Tank B runs out, resets, comes back in and taunts while Tank A does a rinse and repeat of picking up the add.
    3.) See #2
    4.) I on average was getting 5-7 stacks
    5.) For 25m, yes we had all dps switch to it
    So you are keeping one tank as always the add tank? Tank A starts the pull, but as soon as adds start spawning then Tank A will always be the one grabbing the add and moving it out. I guess I can see how that would work, given that you are killing the add with enough gap time to do the double swap to clear the main tank.

That is correct, Porcell. When we ended up killing it, it seemed that we had just enough time for the add to die, I run in to taunt, the other tank resets his stacks, and the add would be spawning at that exact time. It went pretty smoothly for us actually.

---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 11:44 AM ----------

And as I said previously, I am a monk so I have transcendence available to me, along with roll...so it's sort of an advantage >.>

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragesfury View Post
    That is correct, Porcell. When we ended up killing it, it seemed that we had just enough time for the add to die, I run in to taunt, the other tank resets his stacks, and the add would be spawning at that exact time. It went pretty smoothly for us actually.

---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 11:44 AM ----------

And as I said previously, I am a monk so I have transcendence available to me, along with roll...so it's sort of an advantage >.>
    We'll give that a try.

And I have a 30 second heroic leap and charge, so I can get around pretty well also.

Thanks for the feedback. We are on the right track with our strat, just need to clean up the execution. We should have it down on Monday.