soul burn+soul swap killing my shards

I have been reading that I should not be casting my dots individually but just use sb+soul swap and haunt on nightfall procs. However it seems like on longer fights I run out of soul shards just using soul swap for dots. Should I occasionally cast my dots manually, soul drain to pull off sb+soul swap, is there some other ability that refills soul shards, or will getting more haste help with nightfall procs, because even without ever using haunt I have run dry of soul shards. It's just seems like the 6+ ticks of corruption before it wears off isn't enough to get that 5% nightfall proc before I have to refresh my dots. I can do fine if there are a lot of adds to soul drain but longer tank and spank fights I fall behind and have to soul drain at >20% or something almost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by blankk View Post
    I have been reading that I should not be casting my dots individually but just use sb+soul swap and haunt on nightfall procs. However it seems like on longer fights I run out of soul shards just using soul swap for dots. Should I occasionally cast my dots manually, soul drain to pull off sb+soul swap, is there some other ability that refills soul shards, or will getting more haste help with nightfall procs, because even without ever using haunt I have run dry of soul shards. It's just seems like the 6+ ticks of corruption before it wears off isn't enough to get that 5% nightfall proc before I have to refresh my dots. I can do fine if there are a lot of adds to soul drain but longer tank and spank fights I fall behind and have to soul drain at >20% or something almost every time.
    I apply SB+SW and Haunt to start and refresh manually or with my macro using haunt to keep my damage up. I did use your method when I first hit 90 but had the same issues as you. Since moving to this new roation my dps has gone up considerably compared to your roation. Not saying it'll work the same for you but i'd rather keep haunt up

10+ Year Old Account
    I play Demo and haven't looked fully into Afflic but I was under the impression you only use SB->SS during execute when you have extra shards, other wise you manually cast DoTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayier View Post
    I play Demo and haven't looked fully into Afflic but I was under the impression you only use SB->SS during execute when you have extra shards, other wise you manually cast DoTs.
    Yup, you SB-SS during the <20% phase to keep your soul drain up as long as possible. plus you should have more then enough shards to keep DoT's and haunts up using SB>SS

There are multiple times to use soulburn soulswap:

At the start of a fight.
    When you have an excess of soulshards (multiple target fights giving you nightfall procs, ways to get shards back)
    During execute phase.

Other times you must manually cast dots

Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    There are multiple times to use soulburn soulswap:

At the start of a fight.
    When you have an excess of soulshards (multiple target fights giving you nightfall procs, ways to get shards back)
    During execute phase.

Other times you must manually cast dots
    Agreed, I just spent this server downtime crunching the numbers 8 different ways and your answer is pretty much what I came up with. And I should be manually refreshing my dots with felflame and agony right?

Deleted
    Agreed, I just spent this server downtime crunching the numbers 8 different ways and your answer is pretty much what I came up with. And I should be manually refreshing my dots with felflame and agony right?
    With Agony, Unstable affliction and corruption. Felflame is only for movement. Also when you are moving refresh Agony and Corruption if they are below 50% of their duration, means more time pwning with Malefic grasp/drain soul.

In most cases for me I've found that the timers for my dots are so spread out that I usually only need to refresh 1 or 2 at a time, so there's really never been a need for me to SB+SS except during execution phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozez View Post
    With Agony, Unstable affliction and corruption. Felflame is only for movement. Also when you are moving refresh Agony and Corruption if they are below 50% of their duration, means more time pwning with Malefic grasp/drain soul.
    See I'm not understaning that either why not just felflame and get 2 dot refreshes for 1?seems like it would save you time for more dps plus the dps donus from felflame's damage...

See I'm not understaning that either why not just felflame and get 2 dot refreshes for 1?seems like it would save you time for more dps plus the dps donus from felflame's damage...
    It only adds 6 seconds to the time instead of another 12-13 so you'd have to cast fel flame more often and that's less time using MG

It ultimately boils down to efficiency. Even though Fel Flame does damage, it has a much higher mana cost and doesn't extend your DoTs quite as well as re-casting. Over long periods of time, that leads to more Life Taps, which means more GCDs spent not actively doing damage, which lowers your sustained DPS.

There is really no need to be burning shards on dots unless you have an excess of shards or are switching to adds. If it's a one-target fight you will be mostly using shards for Haunt and the regeneration won't keep up with the demand. You want to be hard casting them mostly.