Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    last time i did one which is years ago i was at a 146

10+ Year Old Account
    Do people base these things on one of those ridiculous online test or actual test that span over several hours together with a licensed psychologist?
    And there is no one solid IQ. When you do a real IQ test, the result you get is your average. Take a look at this image for reference (actually you should read this and compare it to whatever test you did to see if what you did was a real, reliable test or not).

When I got checked for Asperger's about two years ago, I went through the above WAIS-III (or WAIS-IV, now I'm unsure). It took about 8 hours in sessions over 2 weeks (although this included the psychologist telling quite a few random stories (had 0 relevance to the testing but it was interesting so f it)), and the average score I got afterwards was 121. (despite this I graduated with shit grades, lol. Straight A's in subjects involving cognitive performance (such as programming), F's in the rest. )

And no, I'm not an arrogant douche because of this. I refrain from bringing it up irl because people might think I, as has been mentioned ITT, see myself as 'superior' to them. lol. But on the internet? Well, everyone's an arrogant douche here!

And oh yeah, I call BS on most of these. I mean, really? The average here seems to be 130-150. Yeah, right.
    Last edited by Dassen; 2012-10-09 at 11:22 AM.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

I'm just happy that I can feel being just above the average. I took one online test when I was sixteen and that was an English test, while my native tongue is Finnish. If I remember right I still got 124, while not perfectly understanding all the questions. Haven't really done any tests seriously in Finnish because I can't find one (free that is).

Nowadays, while being out of schools and not doing anything productive my IQ has probably "plummeted" being closer to 100. However I still outsmart all my family and friends when it comes to computers and problem solving so I can't be that "stupid", right? At least I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I don't think it goes up that high, so... >_<"
    From BusinessInsider.com the highest guy in the world was 275. http://www.businessinsider.com/smart...d-2011-12?op=1
    Cool to see a 12 year old on the list in college.

I was tested in the 4th grade and the school wanted me to go to a special class. I also got 2nd overall in my class on the ASVAB tests which were required for my school to be taken as a junior in high school. Thoses tests are required for you to enter the military. I just remember all 5 branches wanting to recruit me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently according to multiple tests between 115 to 135 but its rather hard to really get the best rate, IQ is rather useless and means jack sh--
    Last edited by Mister K; 2012-10-09 at 11:46 AM.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    From BusinessInsider.com the highest guy in the world was 275. http://www.businessinsider.com/smart...d-2011-12?op=1
    Cool to see a 12 year old on the list in college.

I was tested in the 4th grade and the school wanted me to go to a special class. I also got 2nd overall in my class on the ASVAB tests which were required for my school to be taken as a junior in high school. Thoses tests are required for you to enter the military. I just remember all 5 branches wanting to recruit me.
    I got 93/99 on the ASVAB like a month ago and i thought my performance was mediocre before receiving the score. I wouldnt brag too much about it cause all it does is reduce the number of absolute morons that can make it into the military.
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2012-10-09 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    That guy has been brought up already. He's never actually taken a proper, standardised IQ test so you can't compare it to the sort of scores we are talking about. 275 is also on the highest range of the heavily exaggerated figures people cite for him. Basically, it's wrong.

But also, again, the normal tests aren't actually supposed to go past like 160, and anything higher are just experimental outliers.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-10-09 at 11:56 AM.

How many people ever actually get a real IQ test? I mean ya lots of people have taken those free online ones, but do those really count?
    The earth is not a cold dead place

Deleted
    105ish when I did one as part of psychological testing at the psychiatry.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    How many people ever actually get a real IQ test? I mean ya lots of people have taken those free online ones, but do those really count?
    I score 120+ on most IQ tests online, they're far easier than real ones.

The one I took is significantly longer and more complicated than the various free online ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Because naive people like to tell everyone about a perceived good score they got on some test. It really is totally meaningless to boast about an IQ.
    Yep. Commonsense > IQ

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    The one I took is significantly longer and more complicated than the various free online ones.
    What did you have to take it for? Where do you go for these kind of things as well, does it test the way your brain works or does it seem like it would be affected by how much education you had?

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 05:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Yep. Commonsense > IQ
    Critical thinking > all that other bunk 8D

Since commonsense is so not common.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really remember exactly what I scored, but it was still pretty decent. My mathematical and visual memory are quite good, in fact. Hard to tell how good it is now, though; since the situation I did the test was a time when I had it pretty rough, so yeah.

Still, I have never seen IQ tests as being a decent measurement for intelligence. It can give a good idea of what you are good at, sure, but I would not put so much emphasis on such things.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2012-10-09 at 12:15 PM.

What did you have to take it for? Where do you go for these kind of things as well, does it test the way your brain works or does it seem like it would be affected by how much education you had?
    I got tested by the school I was attending at the time. If you want one, I think you can get tested at a psychometrician's or similar, or Mensa.

Mine was focused priamrily on problem solving, recognising patterns, things like that. Education doesn't really factor into it much at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    The various tests I got handed had nothing to do with education. Well, there was one part where he (the psychologist) asked random questions to get my estimate on general knowledge, but that wasn't related to the IQ test. It's all about your brain's ability to process things.

One part of the tests, one that tested my short term memory, was that he said random letters & digits (mixed in), and I was supposed to sort them in my head and say to him in alphabetical & numerical order.

Example: He said a4p1mk9, and the correct answer would be akmp149. That part was quite fun. Although he started with numbers (he said numbers in random orders and I'd sort them smallest to largest or vice versa), the letters & numbers mixed was the last part of that one. The results were based on how many characters I could take in, sort and get right, didn't have anything to do with speed.

Edit: Ah, yes, here, from Wikipedia's article on the WAIS test:
    Working Memory
    Digit span - Attention, concentration, mental control (e.g., Repeat the numbers 1-2-3 in reverse sequence)
    Arithmetic - Concentration while manipulating mental mathematical problems (e.g., "How many 45-cent stamps can you buy for a dollar?")
    Letter-Number Sequencing - Attention, concentration, mental control (e.g., Repeat the sequence Q-1-B-3-J-2 in numerical and alphabetical order) ^-- this being the one I'm talking about

Edit 2: Well I'll be damned. The questions about general knowledge did contribute to my final score. Or rather, dragged them down. I didn't go to school much at all until I was 15, so there's a lot of unnecessary shit you're "supposed to know" that I don't.
    Last edited by Dassen; 2012-10-09 at 12:14 PM.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs

Deleted
    116 according to MENSA Denmark, 121 according to MENSA Norway. Seems kinda accurate, I do feel that I'm slightly sharper than the average joe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dassen View Post
    Do people base these things on one of those ridiculous online test or actual test that span over several hours together with a licensed psychologist?
    And there is no one solid IQ. When you do a real IQ test, the result you get is your average. Take a look at this image for reference (actually you should read this and compare it to whatever test you did to see if what you did was a real, reliable test or not).

When I got checked for Asperger's about two years ago, I went through the above WAIS-III (or WAIS-IV, now I'm unsure). It took about 8 hours in sessions over 2 weeks (although this included the psychologist telling quite a few random stories (had 0 relevance to the testing but it was interesting so f it)), and the average score I got afterwards was 121. (despite this I graduated with shit grades, lol. Straight A's in subjects involving cognitive performance (such as programming), F's in the rest. )

And no, I'm not an arrogant douche because of this. I refrain from bringing it up irl because people might think I, as has been mentioned ITT, see myself as 'superior' to them. lol. But on the internet? Well, everyone's an arrogant douche here!

And oh yeah, I call BS on most of these. I mean, really? The average here seems to be 130-150. Yeah, right.
    Well, I did in fact do an intelligence test with a licensed psychologist when doing an investigation to see if I had aspergers, autism, ADHD, and/or ADD.

So yeah, I doubt most people here have done anything of the sort.

Deleted
    You will only see a real one if you pay for it or if you have to do one for university / work.

Onlinetests are ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Meh, like 110-115
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkhtar View Post
    You will only see a real one if you pay for it or if you have to do one for university / work.

Onlinetests are ridiculous.
    Or if you're getting checked for a disorder, I didn't pay a dime for mine. I guess that can depend on your country as well.