Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yeah no, everyone would care and lose their shit. Gaming press and consumers alike would cry fowl at such an overpriced item existing for sale.

Can we not pretend like the obscenely priced ships that have become standard for the crowdfunding in this game are normal or standard? Because they're not, and they're something that's pretty uniquely "Star Citizen" given how frequently they pop up for sale.
    Yeah, there would be plenty of tears and outrage understandably, but I don't see governments around the world hammering out legislations or mass cries for boycotts by organised parents groups. EA or Ubisoft trying to charge tens of thousands for digital items would most likely just result in a lot of pointing and laughing and some quality Jim Sterling videos.

Quote Originally Posted by CogsNCocks View Post
    Yeah, there would be plenty of tears and outrage understandably, but I don't see governments around the world hammering out legislations or mass cries for boycotts by organised parents groups. EA or Ubisoft trying to charge tens of thousands for digital items would most likely just result in a lot of pointing and laughing and some quality Jim Sterling videos.
    ...was anyone saying that in this thread? The crowdfunding issues with Star Citizen are different from the lootbox debate/controversies/legislation, so if you're trying to connect the two I'm not sure why.

I was simply disagreeing that "no one would care" if major publishers did this. Because they absolutely would.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    ...was anyone saying that in this thread? The crowdfunding issues with Star Citizen are different from the lootbox debate/controversies/legislation, so if you're trying to connect the two I'm not sure why.

I was simply disagreeing that "no one would care" if major publishers did this. Because they absolutely would.
    Lootboxes are just as crappy imo.

I'd put them neck and neck. Asking for money in an unfinished product that may never be finished or have years on it when it has a large amount of funding is just as bad.

However comparing the two is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by CogsNCocks View Post
    No one would care
    Are you sure? Are you sure? Really, really sure?

Man the scam citizen reddit blowup over this has been fun reading.

I just can't believe its been 6 years now. I wonder if that guys whos wife took him to court for remortgaging their house for ships is happy with his unreleased game all these years later?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roshar View Post
    https://mmopulse.com/news/star-citiz...0-just-to-view

Star Citizen Offers The Legatus Pack For $27,000 USD, Requires Having Spent $1,000+ Just To View
    Imagine if EA, Activision, or Ubisoft did this.
    That is unbelievable. Wow, just..... fucking wow.

15+ Year Old Account
    "What do you mean it's a pyramid scheme?" they asked me....

27k is starting to be around scientology levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Let's just say I'm glad I got out of Star Citizen. I had $600 worth of ships from the RSI store. I got a full refund and only have a separate account with a starter pack on it.

Anyone who still defends RSI and Star Citizen have simply lost their perspective of things. It's all about sunk cost fallacy now. You can tell how desperate people are to still believe when all you see is beautiful screenshots and videos to keep the dream alive on Reddit and in this thread.

The truth is that magic of Star Citizen is long gone. It's become a money machine to line Chris & Sandi's pockets. The humility is gone as well. It's all about the numbers now.

My hat is off to Chris though, he discovered a gold mine, got to go back to Hollywood and work with A-list actors (again) which is what he truly wanted. He was mad that his Wing Commander movie was a disaster in the past and he never let go of the Hollywood dream. It doesn't even matter for him now if Star Citizen fails, he's rich and didn't even have to make a game for it.

Consider Star Citizen the biggest preorder debacle of all time. Buyers beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post

Even in the UK it's barely what some Junior Copywriters make. £20,000 is the starting salary and that's what this pack converts to in GBP.

However I know some firms either start you off lower as a sort of trial thing for a year and some start a bit lower at maybe £18,000 from talking with them. However it's been a while since I took note of salaries so it could have changed a bit.

When I first started my copywriting job right after University I was making £17,000 at first due to essentially being new to the firm. So my yearly salary was 3000 less than this.

It's disgusting and shameful. Anyone defending it or claiming it's going to help the game are quite frankly talking out of their backsides. It's just a way to milk the whales who think the game is already complete and perfection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Let's just say I'm glad I got out of Star Citizen. I had $600 worth of ships from the RSI store. I got a full refund and only have a separate account with a starter pack on it.

Anyone who still defends RSI and Star Citizen have simply lost their perspective of things. It's all about sunk cost fallacy now. You can tell how desperate people are to still believe when all you see is beautiful screenshots and videos to keep the dream alive on Reddit and in this thread.

The truth is that magic of Star Citizen is long gone. It's become a money machine to line Chris & Sandi's pockets. The humility is gone as well. It's all about the numbers now.

My hat is off to Chris though, he discovered a gold mine, got to go back to Hollywood and work with A-list actors (again) which is what he truly wanted. He was mad that his Wing Commander movie was a disaster in the past and he never let go of the Hollywood dream. It doesn't even matter for him now if Star Citizen fails, he's rich and didn't even have to make a game for it.

Consider Star Citizen the biggest preorder debacle of all time. Buyers beware.
    I only ever really said this about one other product but to be honest I was probably overplaying it.

But I do think this game is genuinely something people should never touch with a 10 foot barge pole. Of course their money at the end of the day but I'd air on the side of extreme caution and wait for a product if there is ever one.

The worst part is that for some people it has been a pain in the arse to get refunds. I feel for them personally.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-05-29 at 12:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this game is indeed released, those Mortgage Packs with insane price tags would make me want to stay away from anything remotely multiplayer in the game.

but this way you get a new jpg that make you a thetan seven, and this time will the payment to finish the game and make your dreams come true! r-really!
    any day now.

Star citizen fans are akin to a cult so it's not far off

I am confused. Why charge people to see the pack?

Wouldn't it make more sense to let everyone see this (hilariously expensive) carrot they are dangling on a stick?

10+ Year Old Account
    i really don't get it. people are up in arms because people can get a pack for $27k to support a game being crowdfunded to make? so what? what do you actually lose by letting those with the disposable income the chance to fund the game so it can be made and we can ALL play it? fuck, i would thank each and every one of them for doing what i won't. i am $65 in and that's all i am going to spend on it and i for damn sho don't begrudge anyone wanting to fund the game, coz without those people we would be worse off and since you cannot actually "win" in the traditional MMO sense, in Star Citizen, then idgaf if they start out with more ships than i would, i actually feel sorry for them as they are reducing the incentive to play the game for themselves by having everything off the bat. they can only fly one ship at a time and many of the ships are multi-crew so unless they have an Org, they are going to have to shell out a lot of in-game currency to crew them with other players or ai. remember that Star Citizen is also a space sim so having skill well enough to fly these ships will also be required. Star Citizen is not about getting all the ships, it's about getting the best ship for you and what you want to do whether that's a starter ship or a carrier. /shrug
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Do you organize daily prayer sessions for Cult of Chris or is that only when you find out the referral code is used?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    i really don't get it. people are up in arms because people can get a pack for $27k to support a game being crowdfunded to make? so what? what do you actually lose by letting those with the disposable income the chance to fund the game so it can be made and we can ALL play it? fuck, i would thank each and every one of them for doing what i won't. i am $65 in and that's all i am going to spend on it and i for damn sho don't begrudge anyone wanting to fund the game, coz without those people we would be worse off and since you cannot actually "win" in the traditional MMO sense, in Star Citizen, then idgaf if they start out with more ships than i would, i actually feel sorry for them as they are reducing the incentive to play the game for themselves by having everything off the bat. they can only fly one ship at a time and many of the ships are multi-crew so unless they have an Org, they are going to have to shell out a lot of in-game currency to crew them with other players or ai. remember that Star Citizen is also a space sim so having skill well enough to fly these ships will also be required. Star Citizen is not about getting all the ships, it's about getting the best ship for you and what you want to do whether that's a starter ship or a carrier. /shrug
    What don't you get? People think selling pixel spaceships for $200-$2500 is taking the piss so how can you be surprised when they laugh or want to ridicule something sold for $27,000.

Quote Originally Posted by jstnw89 View Post
    Star citizen fans are akin to a cult so it's not far off
    Sad part is you aren't even lying.

They could throw a white screen on there for $10,000 and someone would find a way to defend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roshar View Post
    https://mmopulse.com/news/star-citiz...0-just-to-view

Imagine if EA, Activision, or Ubisoft did this.
    I ran across that this morning in yahoo news.

They did not paint SC in a good light.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lates...075800816.html

Holy fuck. When we talked about psychologically scamming whales out of their money a couple dozen pages back, I thought it was good spirits. This is probably borderline illegal in some countries. CIG is done and this is a desperate cry for attention... I just can't believe they actually think something like this can ever save them OR paint in good light. How much more delusional can you get?

Last edited by Wilian; 2018-05-29 at 03:24 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988