Call it whatever you want, people who like this kind of games are willing to put the money into making them. People who bought early got it cheaper than it is now, if there's people willing to buy it today there's monetary profit to be made if you are willing to.

Star Citizen may not have been officially released and in a deep alpha stage of development that is open to the public willing to buy a basic package. Those who are interested enough buy it and play it those who don't, don't. Same like any other game I guess we cant all like the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Call it whatever you want, people who like this kind of games are willing to put the money into making them. People who bought early got it cheaper than it is now, if there's people willing to buy it today there's monetary profit to be made if you are willing to.
    What is this a Ponzi scheme? Do you get a cut? They have more than enough money to make a game. Let us see if they ever release one. The mistake is shoveling more money to them.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Is this real life… or just a fantasy…?

I guess it’s time to throw into my CV “experienced investor” then, after all, I’ve been buying shit my entire life ~ this shit get beyond ridiculous so fucking fast.

Edited: By the way, I haven't read the EULA, but in most games, selling accounts it against it, mainly because the account it's not truly even yours, you can use it to play the game, but it's property of the game company. Just saying...

Not sure what you are quoting him as if that has something to do with my response???????

I mean... Not my fault you can't handle what the word means.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    What is this a Ponzi scheme? Do you get a cut? They have more than enough money to make a game. Let us see if they ever release one. The mistake is shoveling more money to them.
    Like most crowdfunded online games it releases early in bare bones states for the community to test while it keeps receiving updates. I think the first playable version released in 2013 and it's been improving ever since. Seems to be "good enough" to warrant the attention of hundreds of thousands of gamers generating more than 30 millions dollars per year and getting lot of attention in gaming media. Not bad for a space-sim imo.

Like most crowdfunded online games it releases early in bare bones states for the community to test while it keeps receiving updates. I think the first playable version released in 2013 and it's been improving ever since. Seems to be "good enough" to warrant the attention of hundreds of thousands of gamers generating more than 30 millions dollars per year and getting lot of attention in gaming media. Not bad for a space-sim imo.
    Ah yes, now it has been playable for 5 years and it got tons of money because of those playable versions. Nice history lesson of what happened in an alternate world I suppose.

Ah yes, now it has been playable for 5 years and it got tons of money because of those playable versions. Nice history lesson of what happened in an alternate world I suppose.
    Well having something that people could download and mess around with since the early stages of crowdfunding surely helped them keeping momentum in their funding, along with constant interaction with the community. The biggest factor was I think timing and the fact that the space sim genre was so barren at the time. Well if we account for big budget productions it kinda still is.

Well having something that people could download and mess around with since the early stages of crowdfunding surely helped them keeping momentum in their funding, along with constant interaction with the community. The biggest factor was I think timing and the fact that the space sim genre was so barren at the time. Well if we account for big budget productions it kinda still is.
    It seems they are firmly believing, that they are the only ones blessed with knowledge and the several hundred thousand backers are all dumb sheep who just gave money to CIG because they are tricked, not because they like what they see or because they want to help to build a space sim they've been waiting for.

I to would love to have a great space sim, I just don't have any faith in Chris Roberts delivering it.

That's why so many people 'hate' on SC. Because they see all the good will and money from the KS being pissed away by bad decisions.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I have to wonder why some people get so passive agressive by Star Citizen's failure to launch as a game.
    It can't really be called a "success" yet because they haven't officially released a product, but the tech they've developed is certainly noteworthy.

To be fair, Star Citizen has been marketed as a game, until that game comes out and launches the project isn't complete which means the project failed. Good things can still come out of it, obviously, but without the game it failed to accomplish it's primary goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibutomi View Post
    I wonder why people still can't understand that a company that started from zero without money and assets building a huge MMO won't launch a game in a timeframe established studios creating single player games.

But i guess it's easier to ditch logic and just chant the usual "scam" "it will never release" "there's no game" phrases.
    The project has now collected ~$200 million, which puts it into the top 5 most expensive video games of all time, including MMO's. SW:ToR the most expensive MMO of all time began development ~2006 according to information from the developer citing that people had been working on it for two years, from a statement in 2008. The game launched at the end of 2011, so even if we say beginning of 2006 to the end of 2011 that's still ~6 years, which is about how long Star Citizen has been in development. Granted new things emerged about halfway through that may have thrown a wrench into it, but that doesn't change the date development started, just adds new hurdles.

CIG doesn't have a tentative completion/ launch date for the game, only going out as far as ~mid 2019 with the next few patches. Which is fine, they have to be transparent with what's going on since this is a crowd funded project, and they're working towards those goals and have really been doing well with hitting the goals they've set for themselves.

Yeah it's easy to say "there is no game", "it will never release" when there's no end in sight, currently, based on the developer timeline. And technically, there is no game, right now, so that statement isn't inaccurate. The it's a scam thing is just an extension of that mentality, going a bit far IMO, but no less understandable given the track record of the company previously of being notorious for setting deadlines and then failing to meet them, repeatedly. I've already said they've gotten better with that though.

People are skeptical, which I think is fair, is that really so inconceivable?

Oh come the fuck on. Until a project has released, it has "failed"? That is an incredibly petty and pessimistic view.

Short list of games that have failed by that logic: Death Stranding, Gears of War 5, Kingdom Hearts 3, and The Outer Worlds. What a bunch of failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I to would love to have a great space sim, I just don't have any faith in Chris Roberts delivering it.

That's why so many people 'hate' on SC. Because they see all the good will and money from the KS being pissed away by bad decisions.
    I don't agree they are that many, they like to do a lot of noise though but it's hard to take them serious when Star Citizen keeps delivering what other games can't.

If there were better space games delivering better experiences than Star Citizen people would be playing them instead. To each it's own I guess.

Deleted
    I remember I had a discussion with someone who backed the game for a few hundred. I basically asked why he bothered. He said that come the 'greatest' game launched he would be at an advantage and be able to blow my basic ship out the sky. My reply was I simply wouldn't get it if some people had such a huge advantage out the gate. To that he had no reply. Three years on I think I had the better choice

I don't agree they are that many, they like to do a lot of noise though but it's hard to take them serious when Star Citizen keeps delivering what other games can't.

If there were better space games delivering better experiences than Star Citizen people would be playing them instead. To each it's own I guess.
    They pretty much are playing other games instead. Malibutomi for instance is all over X4.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    They pretty much are playing other games instead. Malibutomi for instance is all over X4.
    Sorry but who is Malibutomi?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    CIG doesn't have a tentative completion/ launch date for the game, only going out as far as ~mid 2019 with the next few patches. Which is fine, they have to be transparent with what's going on since this is a crowd funded project, and they're working towards those goals and have really been doing well with hitting the goals they've set for themselves.
    You made a pretty massive leap there. CIG announced releases for SQ42 ever since 2014, followed by every year up until 2018. Answer the call 2015, 2016, 2017... All aggressively marketed releases.

That frankly was a serious screwup on CIG's part and I'm willing to bet it is the source for most of the bitterness. In fact, looking back at it now, there was no chance that the game would release on any of those years. It was borderline outright lying -- and SQ42 still is nowhere to be seen even with Episode 1.

Point is, they've been everything but transparent on that front. And they've generally been really bad at hitting them. Star Marine or the patch rundown 2 years ago comes to mind. Absolute shitshows.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry but who is Malibutomi?
    A pretty nice fellow if you ask me.
    P.s: Check out X4 if you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Oh come the fuck on. Until a project has released, it has "failed"? That is an incredibly petty and pessimistic view.

Short list of games that have failed by that logic: Death Stranding, Gears of War 5, Kingdom Hearts 3, and The Outer Worlds. What a bunch of failures.
    I didn't mean to say it's failed, that was poor word choice on my part. Simply saying that until the game releases the project isn't complete and if the game never releases then the project is a failure, regardless of what other positive things come out of it. As opposed to what I was responding to saying that the project is a success NOW because of all the good that comes out of it due to the work they've put in developing what they have so far which could be used for other things.

I don't disagree that those are good things, just that if a projects goal is to create a game then the project fails if that game never gets released.

While I understand where you're coming from, because the builds backers are able to experience now seem pretty amazing, those who can't or won't back the project until the final product gets released aren't able to experience anything. For those people, Star Citizen hasn't delivered anything. There's no product to experience yet for the rest of the world. So from that perspective, I'm confused by your statement of "Star Citizen keeps delivering what other games can't" when I can play other games but can't play Star Citizen.

I think they've shown plenty about Squadron 42 already , more than most studios show about their games while in development. Just like Star Citizen scope ballooned so did Squadron 42. If you add up both games they aren't taking that long compared with other big games that we know about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQQPzHerrPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Q-QFvFHxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VppjX4to9s4

Where do I check him? Any links?
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2018-12-10 at 10:14 PM.

You made a pretty massive leap there. CIG announced releases for SQ42 ever since 2014, followed by every year up until 2018. Answer the call 2015, 2016, 2017... All aggressively marketed releases.

That frankly was a serious screwup on CIG's part and I'm willing to bet it is the source for most of the bitterness. In fact, looking back at it now, there was no chance that the game would release on any of those years. It was borderline outright lying -- and SQ42 still is nowhere to be seen even with Episode 1.

Point is, they've been everything but transparent on that front. And they've generally been really bad at hitting them. Star Marine or the patch rundown 2 years ago comes to mind. Absolute shitshows.

- - - Updated - - -

SQ42 is just the single player experience within the full Star Citizen game though, right? That's what I'm understanding from the articles I've read anyway. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

I mean a release date for Star Citizen, the complete game, not a release date for just a piece of it.

They have been transparent about it, but I can't really give them kudos for that since that's kind of a requirement for crowd funded projects like this, they have to tell the people who are paying them what's going on and what they're working on. They've gotten better this year, but you're right, I think the negativity stems from the absolute shit shows of previous years. That's certainly where my negativity stemmed from. I won't say I'm coming around, but will give them credit for what they've accomplished so far, which is impressive. It's hard for me to look at CIG in a positive light after floundering for so long and only recently really getting their shit together, like they couldn't get out of their own way. Now it's a kind of "you don't get credit for cleaning up your own mess" situation to me. There's just little excuse, IMO, for being as well funded as they were and making the promises they did to not get the right people working on this project earlier so they didn't have the massive project issues they had in the beginning up until recently. So yes, they're doing good now, but their previous performance was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    People spend money primarily to support the game, because they've seen the amazing tech that has been developed as a result and want to bring their dream space sim to reality. The ships are a consolation present.
    Yeah, those people that bought $1000 ships totally just really wanted to donate $1000 to the game and the ship was just a nice bonus. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    econd, you can outright buy every single ship (except the F8 Lightning) with in-game currency after release.
    Yeah, but if it takes you a few months to grind an expensive, fancy ship or alternatively you can just fork out $200 and get it straight away... that's pretty much the definition of p2w.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Yeah, those people that bought $1000 ships totally just really wanted to donate $1000 to the game and the ship was just a nice bonus. /s

Yeah, but if it takes you a few months to grind an expensive, fancy ship or alternatively you can just fork out $200 and get it straight away... that's pretty much the definition of p2w.
    You can buy a fully geared WoW char, gold, boosts and items through shady sites and your money will not into the company who made the game so how's Star Citizen crowdfunded model worse when the extra money given actually goes into making the game?
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2018-12-11 at 12:14 AM.