10+ Year Old Account
    CGI never gave a release date for the arena commander. Back during winter of last year, CGI let us vote on end of the year release or push it back for the proper back end server. The community voted for pushing it back to sometime in spring. A few months pass an CGI says we'll a demo of it during pax east. The demo goes badly due to the up-to-date build being on a server that died. Plan B was used with an older more buggy build being showcase. Ultimately the scheduled "release date" is still on time for a "few weeks" after pax. Just as CGI always stated.

Edit: Also if you want Star Citizen news I wouldn't get it from an Eve fan site.

Deleted
    I seriously doubt a industry celebrity like Chris Roberts want to completely and utterly destroy his career and future employment opportunities with a vaporware

He has done nothing besides wing commander eons ago, and a crappy movie

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    He has done nothing besides wing commander eons ago, and a crappy movie
    You are aware he has been involved in many major film projects over the years including Avatar right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    I seriously doubt a industry celebrity like Chris Roberts want to completely and utterly destroy his career and future employment opportunities with a vaporware
    Id imagine a utterly destroyed career would still leave someone like Chris Roberts in a fairly comfortable position, i do not know this for sure but at a guess id say this guy is pretty wealthy excluding the money from star citizen crowdfunding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You are aware he has been involved in many major film projects over the years including Avatar right?
    Not avatar. And what a quality list of movies hes worked on... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0730932/

Why people place so much blind faith in this man is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Not avatar. And what a quality list of movies hes worked on... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0730932/

Probably because they're invested in the project. Financially and otherwise.

Deleted
    I didn't know this thread was about Chris Roberts making movies.

Because he made Wing Commander and because he has the status of childhood hero for many, believe it or not.
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2014-05-12 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Because I can

Im sorry your the comedian here thinking a game that has passed what 4 deadlines so far for release of its first actual playable module is going to release next year? And no walking around the hangar doesnt count as playable. Thats = to a menu select.
    Vaporware is something that never gets shown off. The dogfighting module (alebit with issues) was given hands-on time with people at Pax East just the other week.

Also: This is most likely the most difficult phase of the project right now, you know. Getting basic flight, weapons, collision, damage-states etc. working. The FPS module is being worked on by the Crytek guys themselves -- and I think they know their own engine pretty well, so I'm not worried about that.

The only other major point of contention would be getting the combined cap-ship boarding working, as that marries the two systems together. We'll see how that goes, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Vaporware is something that never gets shown off. The dogfighting module (alebit with issues) was given hands-on time with people at Pax East just the other week.

Also: This is most likely the most difficult phase of the project right now, you know. Getting basic flight, weapons, collision, damage-states etc. working. The FPS module is being worked on by the Crytek guys themselves -- and I think they know their own engine pretty well, so I'm not worried about that.

The only other major point of contention would be getting the combined cap-ship boarding working, as that marries the two systems together. We'll see how that goes, I guess.

Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially cancelled.
    I think if they are having so much trouble with the dogfighting module they need to stop acting like they are going to put it out sooner. Time and time they have had to push it back, so i think they need to sit down and make a realistic goal becuase from the outside looking in it just looks like they are failing.

Lucky Number Slevin and Lord of War were pretty damn good movies. Hell, even Outlander was surprisingly good. That and Roberts made some very good games back in the day. Anyways, I'm feeling you're going to be calling this project vapourware months from now even after they launch multiple modules. Your opinion is worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Lucky Number Slevin and Lord of War were pretty damn good movies. Hell, even Outlander was surprisingly good. That and Roberts made some very good games back in the day. Anyways, I'm feeling you're going to be calling this project vapourware months from now even after they launch multiple modules. Your opinion is worthless.
    My opinion is worthless because of what you think i might do months from now when things change? Your logic is worthless. Lord of war was ok never saw slevin, but the movies on his list were nothing groundbreaking or movie changing, punisher was good but imo i liked warzone alot better than that punisher movie. Chris is just someone you peaple have damn near beatified. As i said before i would like to see this game succeed and i will play it, its just the evidence thats present leans more twords constant pushbacks and possible vaporware and/or a release not before 2017

he partially wrote and directed Wing Commander the motion picture.

that thing was a mess.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    he partially wrote and directed Wing Commander the motion picture.

that thing was a mess.
    To be fair, movies in the 80's and early 90's were kinda shitty in general.

So, this game only now started to get my attention. My space senses are tingling. However, their website is so confusing. Is there someplace I can get more condensed info?
    Any news on the dogfighting module ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    So, this game only now started to get my attention. My space senses are tingling. However, their website is so confusing. Is there someplace I can get more condensed info?
    Any news on the dogfighting module ?
    Read Death of a Spaceman which shows a lot of the plans for player interaction on the Persistant Universe. Then check out this video on the plans for the economy of Star Citizen and mission generation...

And here's a video from a Youtuber on the overview of Star Citizen from this Feb that is good for new players...

Arena Commander (the dogfighting module) will be out the end of the month.

Today RSI also hired Alex Newberry from Blizzard to be their new executive producer...

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05...ducer-mayberry

LOS ANGELES, May 13, 2014 - Game industry veteran, Alex Mayberry, who most recently was lead game producer at Blizzard Entertainment, is leaving that position to take on an executive producer role at Cloud Imperium™ Games (CIG), the makers of the crowd funded space sim, Star Citizen™. Mayberry will be overseeing all product development for Star Citizen and managing CIG's distributed development process across all production studios (both owned and contracted) including Santa Monica, Austin, Manchester and Montreal. Mayberry will be reporting directly to CIG co-founder and CEO, Chris Roberts and begins his duties immediately.

Mayberry has spent 18 years designing and producing award winning games. His career in the industry began as a level designer at Xatrix Entertainment. After stops at Electronic Arts and Kalisto, Mayberry spent three years as creative director and executive producer of the America's Army game project. From there he moved to Blizzard as a producer, where he worked on the World of Warcraft (WoW) expansion packs and was lead game producer for Diablo III.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2014-05-14 at 12:53 AM.

And here's a video from a Youtuber on the overview of Star Citizen from this Feb that is good for new players...
    Thanks for the mention, friend!

So they hired someone thats had a hand in destroying WoW and diablo series? Is this supposed to be conforting?

and was lead game producer for Diablo III.[/I]
    They really should have left that part off. Yeah we keep pushing deadlines back! Lets get the D3 guys to help! Although there's probably zero actual negatives and what happened with D3 probably doesn't matter at all it's still pretty funny

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, shame on CIG for hiring an industry veteran.

The direction of the game will probably not change though, CR is still in charge and will say no to any major ideas he does not agree with.
    Last edited by zealo; 2014-05-14 at 07:46 AM.