10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    As of right now, you can hardly actually hit anything smaller than a Constellation with fixed weapons.
    yup and here's hoping that the Vehicle Experience Team will address this this year. but there are ways to have fun with fixed weapons but only in certain ships, like i love me my scatterguns in a Hawk, but i am a fan of trial-by-fire and sometimes just playing with fixed weapons makes you a better player, kinda like when i played WoW at release as a Feral Druid, boy did that makes us OP once we got some parity with other classes and everyone had to actually get on our level. haha /shrug
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Digital Foundry did a video piece on Star Citizen's "Next-Gen Tech In-Depth: World Generation, Galactic Scaling + More!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Yes, and how many of those 3 do you think they will complete?

Seems like the moons are on track to be delivered on 3.9 patch.

I think people may be disappointed with the Carrack. It has been touted as "a hero ship", like Serenity, your home away from home. A spaceship your family hangs out in, with shuttles/vehicle bays for exploring and all that jazz.

Except it's just that; a larger ship with vehicle bays and such. It's not the hero ship with plot armor that miraculously evades and survives everything thrown at it. It's not the ship that always blows up the enemy. It's not the "do everything" ship. It's just another larger ship. The Carrack has been in development for so long, I'm afraid the hype may have gone to people's heads, and what they imagine won't line up with reality.

I think people may be disappointed with the Carrack.
    What "people"? When you adress something so vaguely does it realy have a point? Everyone is different and you could say that about anything. New game/music/movie coming out? Some "people" will be disapointed, some will like it.

People own expectations are just that. Their own expectations.

New big ship is just like a new shiny toy/car.

The special hype about Carrack is because of it's Design as much as it's versatility.

It was never sold as a "Best of Best in All trades". That's not how the game is designed.

You have specialized ships for specialized jobs, there's no "One ship to rule them all".

I think people may be disappointed with the Carrack. It has been touted as "a hero ship", like Serenity, your home away from home. A spaceship your family hangs out in, with shuttles/vehicle bays for exploring and all that jazz.

Except it's just that; a larger ship with vehicle bays and such. It's not the hero ship with plot armor that miraculously evades and survives everything thrown at it. It's not the ship that always blows up the enemy. It's not the "do everything" ship. It's just another larger ship. The Carrack has been in development for so long, I'm afraid the hype may have gone to people's heads, and what they imagine won't line up with reality.
    I'd have to agree. I've never seen the appeal of the Carrack, and it seems that there are a lot of players that are looking at the Carrack as some sort of "special" ship. Now, if you and a handful of friends are playing together all the time, and perhaps the Connie isn't large enough, then I could see something like the Carrack being an anticipated addition. That said, until they start adding additional roles for players on a ship, I see zero appeal to these larger ships, and I don't see them pushing to add these roles until after SQ42, making these large ship all but useless additions, IMO. It also doesn't help that their support for group play is next to nothing.

Carrack already is special for having it's own medbay (respawn point). Only 890J along with the Cutlass Red have them atm.

Also, it can carry a land vehicle and a snub fighter. Has a forward deploy ramp which makes in&out easier and faster.

Can carry cargo and has a cool design.

This is all points that show it's versatility and desirability to use right now.

Then there's also the social/living quarters along with the exploration features that will come into play in the future.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-02-21 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    I'd have to agree. I've never seen the appeal of the Carrack, and it seems that there are a lot of players that are looking at the Carrack as some sort of "special" ship. Now, if you and a handful of friends are playing together all the time, and perhaps the Connie isn't large enough, then I could see something like the Carrack being an anticipated addition. That said, until they start adding additional roles for players on a ship, I see zero appeal to these larger ships, and I don't see them pushing to add these roles until after SQ42, making these large ship all but useless additions, IMO. It also doesn't help that their support for group play is next to nothing.
    Yeah, loads of people saw the Carrack as Star Citizen's version of the Serenity. It was/is going to be their home away from home, a do-it-all ship that enabled them to relive their Firefly dreams, providing fantastical adventures and amazing exploration where they could get up to hijinks like Mal and the crew.

CIG and CryTek have formally agreed to a settlement now. CryTek got what they basically were shooting for all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Can you share some details upon this? Tbh it's something that I never really got into, I know it was some issue with the engine they were using but that's about it.
    Yeah, you basically have the core of it. CryTek had a bunch of claims regarding the licensing and the use of CryEngine. CryTek was never really going to smash Star Citizen out of existence(their claims weren't that big), but basically sought money. That's pretty much it. Best case scenario they'd be owed the value of a CryTek license plus possibly some extra.

YouTube lawyers and the Star Citizen fancamp were utterly convinced that CIG had a "slam dunk"(direct quote) case, would go to court, win and bring CryTek out of business permanently and gain loads of cash. Turns out all the YouTube lawyers were wrong.

Most reasonable people expected the two parties to come to a settlement privately, which is now what has happened. Nobody knows any details and there's no gaurantee we'll ever find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Turns out all the YouTube lawyers were wrong.
    Which YouTube lawyers were these? The only one I know of is Nick Rekieta, and he was never following this.

Which YouTube lawyers were these? The only one I know of is Nick Rekieta, and he was never following this.
    I forgot their names, they were making videos about it at least. I think they are/were a backer too. (So they were definitely biased in the first place)

Edit: Managed to find it, Leonard French was the main guy. Other guy was Youtuber Law.
    Last edited by Majestic12; 2020-02-22 at 05:53 AM.

CIG and CryTek have formally agreed to a settlement now. CryTek got what they basically were shooting for all along.
    They did? How so?

I thought Crytek was going to rake CIG over the coals with the big bad law firm Skadden, the ones that don't accept cases they cant win...

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    They did? How so?

I thought Crytek was going to rake CIG over the coals with the big bad law firm Skadden, the ones that don't accept cases they cant win...
    When I read your reply, I was 99% sure that I had never said that and it was just confirmation bias from your part. Turns out I was right. Here are my quotes for context:

A biased lawyer, to add. He was always on SC's side.

That's like giving credit to Derek Smart for being a game dev when he will trash talk Star Citizen's development no matter what.

I'm personally just going to wait and let it play out from the sides. Do all of CryTek's points have merit? Probably not, but I find it very unlikely that Skadden would have reviewed the same GLA, the case, found zero merit with anything and still gone with the case. That's not a really unreasonable stance to be honest.
    Common sense says that Skadden, a very well-reputed and successful lawfirm, would never take a case that has zero merit.
    That's just the reality of things.
    Even now, almost three years later, it turns out I did not hold an unreasonable position.

Seeing those old posts make me nostalgic. Remember the "Answer the call 2017" advertisment that went on that year? Still no game today. Turns out I was right about that too.

Seeing those old posts make me nostalgic. Remember the "Answer the call 2017" advertisment that went on that year? Still no game today. Turns out I was right about that too.
    Talk about being raked over the coals. Lolz.

When I read your reply, I was 99% sure that I had never said that and it was just confirmation bias from your part. Turns out I was right. Here are my quotes for context:

Even now, almost three years later, it turns out I did not hold an unreasonable position.
    Sure, but if they did indeed have the agreements which CryTek mentioned in the suit, CIG is in big trouble. The top law firm that CryTek hired wouldn't have taken a non-solid case. They've most likely already confirmed everything and this is the the beatdown.
    No matter what CIG says in court will nullify any agreement made.
    Skadden removed themselves from the process exactly because the case had no merit. But sure, you were "right", "Derek Smurf" right.

Considering the growth of the company and funding records of 2018 and 2019 the call keeps being answered alright!

Skadden removed themselves from the process exactly because the case had no merit. But sure, you were "right", "Derek Smurf" right.

Considering the growth of the company and funding records of 2018 and 2019 the call keeps being answered alright!
    On another note, I do hope they make the results public. I want to know if CIG paid CryTek to go away.

On another note, I do hope they make the results public. I want to know if CIG paid CryTek to go away.
    Sure thing. Gott'a keep fighting the good fight.

As someone who refunded and have been battling these guys for years, they don't. They cling to faith and sunk cost fallacy and refuse to (even today) admit that SC is a failed project.

Star Citizen will crash and burn like NMS did, and just like the fanatics defending NMS, it's not until after it has happened that they will wake up. But by then nobody will care or even feel sorry about them.
    Right?

Sure thing. Gott'a keep fighting the good fight.

Right?
    The beatdown and trouble for CIG stems from the fact that they had to use backer money in order to defend against a lawsuit, when I(in my glorious wisdom), knew that CIG would have tremendous issues releasing anything at all as things stood already. Luckily for CIG the private investor stepped in and basically saved the project... for now.

I still stand by my prediction. NMS was undoubtedly one of the worst launches for me personally when it came to actual marketed features vs. what the game released with. Star Citizen, if it ever gets out, will have it even tougher. All Chris did was to talk year after year, it'll be impossible to satisfy people who have invested themselves into feature x or y.

I watched the NMS community crash and burn real-time and it was glorious. They had an equivelent fanboy-community that no matter what tried defending the game until the very end. Then, they slowly stopped responding and disappeared into the winds - much like I expect most fans in this thread to. In fact, they've even started to disappear already. Spectrum has been full of concerns for months and barely any defender posts in this thread anymore(except you and Kenn).

Shock -> Denial -> Disappointment -> Anger. That is what awaits all SC backers, and then they'll go after Chris and Sandi.

All I ever care about in the project now is SQ42. I want to see Mark Hamill's work and play through it just once. As for SC, it's a dead dream.

You will join me eventually, brother.

Just one thing, as someone who doesn't really care as I've never been a backer nor that interested because I thought this was way too ambitious at the start.

But No Man's Sky did apparently turn it around somewhat. It was a terrible game at launch and they deservedly got a lot of resentment but apparently it's pretty decent fun these days. This Beyond update has moved the score up to user review 7.8 on metacritic from an original score of 3.1. I haven't tried it, but it appears all the various critic reviews say it's pretty good now.

The drastic improvements made to No Man’s Sky in its Beyond expansion are the new gold standard for how to gracefully cope with a game’s flaws post-release. The game laid the foundation with its release, but it took Beyond to elevate it into something magnificent.
    -GameSpot

And most every other review is as positive.

Point being you keep using NMS as an example of a failed project and it's not now. It got better.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2020-02-22 at 11:09 PM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how you went from "It had a shitty launch" to "it's a failed project!".

It had a shitty launch, probably the worse I ever seen, because most of what Murray advertised and hyped up wasn't there.

Did eventually became a decent game? Sure.

Edited: Financially however, now that I think about it... I wonder if you can call it a success...
    Still....the fact they came back at all is an accomplishment I'd rather see games get their redemption to relevance then just crash and burn.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi