10+ Year Old Account
    star citizen is going to be in the Golden Joystick Awards it looks like
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    star citizen is going to be in the Golden Joystick Awards it looks like
    Specifically, in the category for Most Anticipated Game.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Specifically, in the category for Most Anticipated Game.
    How on earth is that a legitimate category?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KyrtF View Post
    Because people are voting for the game that they're looking forward to the most.

http://www.gamesradar.com/goldenjoystickawards/

Also, my bad. "Most Wanted Game".

Quote Originally Posted by KyrtF View Post
    Video game rewards have always been a circlejerk for the gaming industry to promote itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Video game rewards have always been a circlejerk for the gaming industry to promote itself.
    that may be. but ive gotten decent Discounts from the golden joystick votings every year

voted got a voucher for a 3pack thats normally 25$. for it for 1$. came with Spec ops: The line. Sid: Pirates. and some game called LIFELESS that is in early access thats 19.99. got 60$ worth of games for 1$
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Yeah, and do you know WHY ED wants/"needs" to add these things? It's because they're trying to keep up with the SC hype. ED decided to take the safe approach and release a base game as early as they could. Then add the other stuff planned later down the road while charging all of the backers extra to get what they backed in the first place.
    If you bothered to look at the design forums link you would see these features were being laid out before they were mentioned publicly by CIG.
    Both games are going to copy features from each other and implement them in their own way but claiming one is leading and the other is coat-tailing is just stupid fanboyism. Just look at what happened very close to the time that Elite released its planetary landing expansion, CIG releases their pupil to planet mock-up, so are CIG now trying to keep up with Elite? Are they trying to steal their thunder?

---

This isn't (or atleast shouldn't be) about who's best and who's doing it first, but people shouldn't be downplaying other games and claiming the one they support is being revolutionary when they are all doing similar things. One game in particular is just a lot noisier about it.
    What should really matter is that we're getting more variety of space games.
    Last edited by 1001; 2016-10-22 at 06:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    If you bothered to look at the design forums link you would see these features were being laid out before they were mentioned publicly by CIG.
    Both games are going to copy features from each other and implement them in their own way but claiming one is leading and the other is coat-tailing is just stupid fanboyism. Just look at what happened very close to the time that Elite released its planetary landing expansion, CIG releases their pupil to planet mock-up, so are CIG now trying to keep up with Elite? Are they trying to steal their thunder?

---

This isn't (or atleast shouldn't be) about who's best and who's doing it first, but people shouldn't be downplaying other games and claiming the one they support is being revolutionary when they are all doing similar things. One game in particular is just a lot noisier about it.
    What should really matter is that we're getting more variety of space games.
    The pupil to planet video was just a tech demo to show that they figured out how to do the seamless transition from space to planet in cryengine way ahead of schedule. CIG was just going "Hey, look guys. We got it working a few years ahead of schedule and you guys will probably have this at release instead of after." And what I meant by "keep up with the SC hype" was that they're riding the hype wave from SC with a lot of their player base, so releasing things at the time of CIG hyping it up is a damn smart thing to do.

Regardless of any of that though, it doesn't change what I said about ED taking the safe route and releasing their game early and then adding everything else later. I remember hearing TONS of outrage over the pricing of the first expansion. A lot of the stuff that the players were supposedly promised in the original game were then being charged for to get in the next content that was released...what..a year ago? I was taking a back seat on stuff around that time, so my perspective may have been scewed because reddit circlejerk.

And TBF, I guess it's all the same thing as what any video game does. take the good idea from the other games and get the to work in theirs. More so in the Sci-fi genre (*cough* sand worms). SC/SQ42 is taking a lot of their queues from the original Wing Commander games. ED took a lot from their original Elite games (I think?). Then their all taking stuff from other games that worked. So yes, I most certainly agree with you on that part and I concede that a bit of my fanboyism was showing due to people not understanding that SC having everything is why it's special, not that any one feature is supposed to be special.

To finish this all off with an amusing quote I found a few weeks ago. Bonus points to anyone who can name who said it.
    "The Holy Grail of immersion for me has always been for the player to be able to exist in first person mode throughout the entire game world. You’d be able to walk around inside your ship. You’d be able to dock that ship with a station, exit, walk around inside that station. You’d be able to fly your ship directly into a planet, land, exit that ship, enter a building, do stuff etc.
    Now imagine a game, in a universe of that size, with populated space and planetary areas, complete with internal areas for stations, buildings, ships etc. And with high visual fidelity, great runtime performance… and multiplayer."
    Last edited by masterhorus8; 2016-10-25 at 01:58 AM.

have they even dropped a hint to a release date for this game?

With all their studio and staffing issues seemingly worked out at this point: Assuming they don't hit any more major setbacks, their presentation for CitizenCon mentioned a Dec 2017 date for Alpha 4.0 -- So maybe Xmas 2018 then for a full release of the MMO universe? SQ42 supposedly has all the missions in place and is to the point of polish, so I'd assume we'll see that ahead of the MMO release by 6-12 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anniversary Livestream going on right now if anyone wants to watch some new stuff.

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

- - - Updated - - -

And for people that care about frequent updates, CIG is now going to start showing a more in-depth weekly schedule.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Star Marine Preview from yesterday's livestream matches...

Anniversary Livestream going on right now if anyone wants to watch some new stuff.

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

- - - Updated - - -

And for people that care about frequent updates, CIG is now going to start showing a more in-depth weekly schedule.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report
    They're celebrating / promoting an anniversary for an unreleased game?
    Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    They're celebrating / promoting an anniversary for an unreleased game?
    Bizarre.
    An anniversary since the initial crowdfunding campaign three years ago, it's a time when CIG shows off the cool things they've accomplished and what's coming up, plus a sale on their backer packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    An anniversary since the initial crowdfunding campaign three years ago, it's a time when CIG shows off the cool things they've accomplished and what's coming up, plus a sale on their backer packages.
    A sale on a pay to win game which hasn't been released.
    Bizarre

A sale on a pay to win game which hasn't been released.
    Bizarre
    If there's no game, how can it be pay to win? Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    If there's no game, how can it be pay to win? Checkmate.
    Because when it eventually gets released, I bet the backers are going to be pretty mad if RSI takes away all their $1k ships.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because when it eventually gets released, I bet the backers are going to be pretty mad if RSI takes away all their $1k ships.
    People won't be able to fly their $1k ships at the start because they'll be too expensive to maintain and fuel. Most of the prices aren't even indicative of the ships performance, just as a means of funding and artificial rarity. The only questionable "p2w" difference is between the starter ships ($45) and the "Collector's Edition" ship (~$150). But even then, someone skilled enough in the starter ships can most certainly take down someone in a more expensive ship. Plus, the CE ships will still cost more to maintain.

People won't be able to fly their $1k ships at the start because they'll be too expensive to maintain and fuel. Most of the prices aren't even indicative of the ships performance, just as a means of funding and artificial rarity. The only questionable "p2w" difference is between the starter ships ($45) and the "Collector's Edition" ship (~$150). But even then, someone skilled enough in the starter ships can most certainly take down someone in a more expensive ship. Plus, the CE ships will still cost more to maintain.
    Well explained.

Still sceptical though.
    I've learnt not to trust what developers say and they seem to speak an awful lot

Well explained.

Still sceptical though.
    I've learnt not to trust what developers say and they seem to speak an awful lot
    also those massive ships will require multiple people to operate it, some ships the pilot has no control over weapons, also if someone does blow you up as long as your insured the least your going to lose will be time and cargo on the ship, not exactly sure how all the aspects will work though.

Most developers are not as open as CIG, they show just about everything they can on a weekly basis to keep us informed of the progress, yes this scope of a game will take a while but it will be finished.

You have to take into account this is Chris Roberts dream game and also if it all went wrong his reputation would be damaged beyond repair.

The game is coming along in leaps and bounds.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen