Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    There are also people that love the idea of a boardgame lasting months. But is that a healthy recipe for a large audience? It isn't, which is why such games belong to the niche market.

I admit I don't know what rsi is attempting to accomplish with sc. Are they making a niche game, that actually simulates what astronomers illustrate as a possible reality or a game that's interesting for a large audience.

I don't think they can do both in one game. Come to think of it, this might be the reason they severed the single player experience from sc to begin with.

Well we kinda knew this wil be the case from the beginning, and most of the members are going for this because they don't likethe new "run around like idiots" type multiplayer games. If you don't like it don't play it...easy. I tried Elite Dangerous didn't like it so i don't play it
    Last edited by Malibutomi; 2018-11-28 at 01:32 PM.

There are also people that love the idea of a boardgame lasting months. But is that a healthy recipe for a large audience? It isn't, which is why such games belong to the niche market.

I admit I don't know what rsi is attempting to accomplish with sc. Are they making a niche game, that actually simulates what astronomers illustrate as a possible reality or a game that's interesting for a large audience.

I don't think they can do both in one game. Come to think of it, this might be the reason they severed the single player experience from sc to begin with.
    Basically it's aimed at a niche market. There's no question about that.

But yeah gotta love it can take hours to travel anywhere and the only reason I've seen so far is "immersion". It's not immersive to sit there for hours doing sod all or maybe walking around a ship or checking a market. It's just flat out tedious.

And right now imo they have zero clue what they want to make. Feels like everything is just held together with cheap super glue you buy at a local shop.

I think this is a logical fallacy that crops up whenever games are being designed for a niche market in these days where the bland AAA "white bread" game is the standard. That targeting a niche audience automatically sets you up to "fail". Obviously SC is a bit of an outlier even in that regard because you have a small niche of people paying AAA budget, but generally speaking there is nothing wrong with setting a small budget appropriate to the scope of the market you are targeting. Pantheon doesn't have a large budget, but it's targeting those that want an oldschool EQ feel so it doesn't need one to be profitable.

Even games like Ultima Online are still going despite probably having 50k or less subscribers these days.

It didn't start out that way and the money it has been given was being sold on this idea though, so why does it matter? A bunch of old well-to-do engineers are shelling out to get the game of their dreams made they've wanted since they were teens or w/e... good for them.

Just a small ad:

Not for your liking =/= niche market.
    There ate plenty of people who like it, just in the free flight week i saw lots of post about they love the game after trying it out.
    Plus theres Squadron 42 which they can sell a lit of copies of.

10+ Year Old Account
    the expo continues so i thought i'd share some pics from it.

Merlin on Delamar:

Loreville at sunrise:

Sunset at Lorville and the new Arrow:

Reclaimer on Aberdeen:

M-50 at a cloudline on Hurston:

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Can't wait for gas giants, especially cities sitting on top of the gasses. Combined with the atmospheric gas tech shown in the Squadron 42 demo, it will look absolutely amazing!

Makes me want to revisit ToughSF's archive.

http://toughsf.blogspot.com/2016/10/...ets-venus.html

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    I think this is a logical fallacy that crops up whenever games are being designed for a niche market in these days where the bland AAA "white bread" game is the standard. That targeting a niche audience automatically sets you up to "fail". Obviously SC is a bit of an outlier even in that regard because you have a small niche of people paying AAA budget, but generally speaking there is nothing wrong with setting a small budget appropriate to the scope of the market you are targeting. Pantheon doesn't have a large budget, but it's targeting those that want an oldschool EQ feel so it doesn't need one to be profitable.

Even games like Ultima Online are still going despite probably having 50k or less subscribers these days.
    It's not a logical fallacy; you can't call a game niche when you're targeting a large audience with a budget of 200 million dollar and rising. Nor does it matter how it "started out"; it's about what it's becoming and I doubt it will entertain sufficient people to survive, if it doesn't make some significant changes.

I could be wrong, of course.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you guys still waiting for SC?
    http://shrani.si/f/11/V5/4k6VObYp/1/201811301736161.jpg

Why bother.

Let's not start game vs. game debates or bait others please. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2018-11-30 at 06:30 PM.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

It's not a logical fallacy; you can't call a game niche when you're targeting a large audience with a budget of 200 million dollar and rising. Nor does it matter how it "started out"; it's about what it's becoming and I doubt it will entertain sufficient people to survive, if it doesn't make some significant changes.
    I could be wrong, of course.
    BLOPS4 is predicted to sell over 20M units. This game has ~2.1M backers that bought in for the promise of a more simulation/in depth experience than AAA companies are willing to deliver. They're supposed to not deliver what they want simply because you determine the number of those have poured over some threshold?

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    BLOPS4 is predicted to sell over 20M units. This game has ~2.1M backers that bought in for the promise of a more simulation/in depth experience than AAA companies are willing to deliver. They're supposed to not deliver what they want simply because you determine the number of those have poured over some threshold?
    I think you completely missed the point, but okay.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

I think you completely missed the point, but okay.
    The fact that it's managed to get 200 million out of a niche audience is proof enough that it will survive. Chris Roberts knows the audience is aiming for and one the game launches having met all of the original kickstarter goals, everyone else isn't going to wait around anymore; they'll buy it. They'll also find other ways to monetize the game, such as merchandise, CitizenCon, and licensing out their tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The fact that it's managed to get 200 million out of a niche audience is proof enough that it will survive. Chris Roberts knows the audience is aiming for and one the game launches having met all of the original kickstarter goals, everyone else isn't going to wait around anymore; they'll buy it. They'll also find other ways to monetize the game, such as merchandise, CitizenCon, and licensing out their tech.
    It has to actually launch first.

I don't consider the fact that it's managed to raise 200 million proof that it will endure or even be a success to begin with. Let it launch first, then we'll see.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2018-12-02 at 04:14 PM.

I don't consider the fact that it's managed to raise 200 million proof that it will endure or even be a success to begin with. Let it launch first, then we'll see.
    Exactly.

Loads of games have big budgets and turn out to be crap. Going "OH BUT IT MADE 200 MILLION" means nothing at all lol.

Eve Online has shown that whales can keep a space MMO afloat. The playerbase for SC exists because its the same group that play Eve or ED now.

The difficulty is releasing a better game then both to grabs those players.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

The fact that it's managed to get 200 million out of a niche audience is proof enough that it will survive.
    Not really. Backer patience is finite. Not to mention the massive costs CIG have and a full reel of A-list actors. There's no evidence that it will survive or do well at all in any way shape or form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Top GUn ala Star Citizen:

4k shot from a pro photographer og a Cutlass Black on Delamar:

Razor EX(?) with DoF enabled on the Hurston Savannah biome:

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Not really. Backer patience is finite. Not to mention the massive costs CIG have and a full reel of A-list actors. There's no evidence that it will survive or do well at all in any way shape or form.
    Yeah I think paying for A-list actors was a big mistake, but so many mistakes are being made in the production of this game that it's hardly surprising. I enjoy the pretty screenshots, but pretty screenshots do not a functional game make. We'll see how much longer CIG can keep milking idiots willing to drop $10k on a virtual spaceship for, because if the company doesn't deliver something real in the near future even the backers who went pretty hard on drinking the kool aid are gonna want answers.

Shame too, this could've been a cool game if they had focused on what people bought into rather than adding all this retarded FPS/etc. shit that nobody asked for.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

Deleted
    Btw, is Star Citizen P2W? As they have ships you can buy which I take are better than base ships you can get at the start?

I mean on release if some people will fly around with some ships that cost 10k $ and destroy people with base stuff?