Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    If you move 100 pages back you'll see the same pointless discussions, 200 pages back probably the same thing...

And usually from the same group who don't even play the game.
    Not even a joke, not even funny.

Most of these "discussions" ran their course hundreds of pages ago. Actually the p2w issue was one of the first topics brought up in this thread. As long as the best stuff is earned in game I think it is passable. Even the F2P halo game LoL is "pay to win". Have not played for a looong time but when I did those runes you start with are the difference between being able to jungle or not, owning the first 5 mins of the game or not and you can straight up buy them for hard currency.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

If you move 100 pages back you'll see the same pointless discussions, 200 pages back probably the same thing...

And usually from the same group who don't even play the game.
    And you'll see the same people engaging in these discussions, from both sides.

The thing is they are unavoidable, CIG brings out some new shitty way of making money that pushes the P2W envelope a bit further and people voice their dislike of it. That is prefectly acceptable, trying to shut down discussions because someone is exercising their right to say what they want to say is awful.

We can't say "Oh P2W was talked about in 2013 and therefore it's never allowed to be discussed again even if CIG goes balls to the wall P2W", that would be bonkers

There's always the block button if sensitive people want to avoid reading contrary opinions....

Well sure if you really want to be negative and "angry" about any game or product you can find something to bitch about.

The question is, why bother so much?

Is Star Citizen that special that it deserves such scrutiny from critics? Maybe so if you consider it your last hope for a all encopassing mmorpg.

But why not just let developmeny run it's course and see how it goes before going apeshit about stuff you have zero control. It is what it is, fear mongering and concerning the same pointless stuff doesnt make it more relevant.

It seems like being angry for the sake of being angry add nauseam.

Well sure if you really want to be negative and "angry" about any game or product you can find something to bitch about.

The question is, why bother so much?
    Because some people believe in holding companies to account I guess. Or perhaps they prefer minimal monetization in their computer games or they want to voice their disapproval at other people who are encouraging companies to participate in P2W cash shops etc. Or perhaps they know it's a touchy subject and just want to stir things up?

Is Star Citizen that special that it deserves such scrutiny from critics? Maybe so if you consider it your last hope for a all encopassing mmorpg.
    Yes absolutely, it has raised $250 million from selling game assets and various other features from a yet-to-be-finished computer game. No other game has ever sold as many items pre-launch or made as much from doing so and therefore it deserces the additional scrutiny.

But why not just let developmeny run it's course and see how it goes before going apeshit about stuff you have zero control. It is what it is, fear mongering and concerning the same pointless stuff doesnt make it more relevant.
    Because that is apathy. If people don't agree with the way things are being done why should they not voice their disagreement? Look at when CIG tried to monetize their convention stream, should people have kept quiet and just sucked it up or should they have said it was going too far?

It seems like being angry for the sake of being angry add nauseam.
    People can be critical without being angry, it's just basic compartmentilzation.

Doesn't matter how you spin it. It's still as useless and pointless now as it was years ago and basically just another variation of the "haters gona hate" meme.

The only real objective fact taken from it is that people care enough about Star Citizen to "worry" about those meaningfull and pointless stuff year in year out.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2019-07-11 at 02:41 PM.

Being angry at the Vegan restaurant just because it doesn't serve you the Tbone you crave doesn't seem very productive or particularly smart when you keep coming back again and again.

It's only a "concern" if you aren't familiar with both crowdfunding and game development.

Both aren't forced uppon no one, it seems that some people still like to neglect their own faults by claiming that their ignorant actions were forced by others.

Doesn't matter how you spin it. It's still as useless and pointless now as it was years ago and basically just another variation of the "haters gona hate" meme.
    Aka I am going to put my fingers in my ears, close my eyes and sing la la la very loudly

The only real objective fact taken from it is that people care enough about Star Citizen to "worry" about those meaningfull and pointless stuff year in year out.
    So when people complain about EA or any other publisher pushing their cash shop, season passes or what have you, it's just pointless noise year in, year out, in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    failed to deliver anything
    This is where arguments lose relevance, it's not only hyperbole it's complete lies and with that you remove any room for discussion.

The facts are simple, games like Star Citizen are very ambitious projects, there's no "easy" way to make it happen. Looking for scapegoats for why projects like this take this long and cost this much is just a knee jerk reaction from people that can't or don't want to admit that maybe they don't fully grasp the overall scope of developing 2 games as ambitious as this one while having a playable version open to the public acting like a live service.

All it would take would be doing some reading and search about other ambitious games and their development to see many parallels between them, stuff that people call "incompetency" or "bad management" are simply the normal course of developing big games.

Sure Star Citizen might be crowdfunded, it's funding is not fixed and enabled the developers to stretch the features into something that in the beginning wasn't thought to be possible, but that's not a necessarily bad thing like some disgruntled backers want to make. Specially considering that exactly because it's so ambitious that Star Citizen has attracted so much funding and gamers.

The sooner haters get over that the sooner they will be able to enjoy the many things that the game already excels at without feeling guilty about it.

This is where arguments lose relevance, it's not only hyperbole it's complete lies and with that you remove any room for discussion.

The sooner haters get over that the sooner they will be able to enjoy the many things that the game already excels at without feeling guilty about it.
    You DO realize Bovinity is not talking about SC with the 'failed to deliver anything' line, right? Right??

Blah blah "haters" blah blah" Just handwave anything people say and call them haters, that is your m.o. isn't it? Know one thing the "game" does not excel at? Being launched and not in a alpha/beta state.

Sure Star Citizen might be crowdfunded, it's funding is not fixed and enabled the developers to stretch the features into something that in the beginning wasn't thought to be possible, but that's not a necessarily bad thing like some disgruntled backers want to make.
    Question: Let's say funding dries up tomorrow. Literally, all of it. No more crowdfunding dollars. No more Roberts finding $40M in private investment. What's in their bank accounts is all they have left.

Can they finish either game? Can they deliver on their core promises for the games? Not saying all the extra stretch goals and everything, but their core initial pitches?

I don't know and am genuinely curious, because while I don't follow their financials super closely I'd be extremely surprised if they could given the state of the game right now (lots of progress, but still quite a ways to go) and the expected burn rate for money given the size the company has grown to over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, it's funny that they get so defensive about any skepticism toward Roberts when they - apparently - are unaware of his track record.
    I've always viewed that person as just a throwaway account anyways. If you look at their post history when it was created it was 4 years ago, it spammed 10 posts quickly so it could link information in this thread for the first time. Ironically their 2nd ever post still cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Question: Let's say funding dries up tomorrow. Literally, all of it. No more crowdfunding dollars. No more Roberts finding $40M in private investment. What's in their bank accounts is all they have left.

Can they finish either game? Can they deliver on their core promises for the games? Not saying all the extra stretch goals and everything, but their core initial pitches?

I don't know and am genuinely curious, because while I don't follow their financials super closely I'd be extremely surprised if they could given the state of the game right now (lots of progress, but still quite a ways to go) and the expected burn rate for money given the size the company has grown to over the years.
    Isin't that just another useless and pointless exercise to justify "concern" based on fantasy?

Isin't that just another useless and pointless exercise to justify "concern" based on fantasy?
    Not at all, it's a reasonable concern. Funding isn't going to last forever, and eventually they're going to need to lock down funding for "core" features of the game in case they can't keep up the current pace indefinitely. Because as it stands now, there seems to be no end to the need for a steady flow of additional funding which I think raises a reasonable concern of "What it the funding slows/ends?"

You think it's useless/pointless because it's an uncomfortable question for you that may have have a good answer, but it's a fair one.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2019-07-11 at 05:31 PM.

Not really. I think it's pointless considering that the funding as been steadily increasing and the game is getting more playable and played every year. After all these years there is not a direct competitor to what Star Citizen already provides. That's why it's top in the engagement on twitch compared with games of the similar genre.

There's a reason a billionaire gave them 46millions valuating a company with no "released" games at half a billon dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Some of the consequences of being a pirate will be not being able land at any UEE controlled landing area/station, cant travel through UEE space without high risk of being destroyed, npc and player bounty hunters, piracy in SC is nothing like EVE and other games, also you wont really be able to tell the difference between NPCs flying around the system and players, npc patrols are not just running around in basic fighters, they are already ingame in hammerheads and larger squadrons able to easily fight against most ships.

Also why would you want to blow up every ship you see, what profit is that going to yield, if you see a target that could possibly yield millions if you actually board and steal it.
    You mention it is nothing like EVE but describe a lot of the same consequences that EVE has in place for pirates. I feel like you are being rather naive about games and player motivations in general.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    every game has some sort of p2w element in it, might not be purely power but if you can use real money to buy something many others possibly cant afford then the player with money will always be at an advantage up to the point where a player has more skill at that game.
    This is also entirely false. LoL and Counter-Strike for example do not have P2W(Note: Cosmetics that can be bought for real money is not and never had been P2W)
    Last edited by Altrec; 2019-07-11 at 05:57 PM.

I didin't knew it was already spent. Is there some factual evidence of such or it's another fantasy?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    TLDW? 20 minutes is quite a bit of time, and I just desperately wish there was a site you could pop YT videos in and have it spit out a transcript of what the person said. Would make getting to the meat and potatoes of these videos much easier.
    That's... a million dollar idea right there. BRB making new site!

Ah ok, it's just another 90 days top ELE extinction event

I'm sure this is it now. Total collapse. Cue Freddy and a sunset:

Is this the real life?
    Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide,
    No escape from reality...

Why are you linking garbage from DS's blog? Do you want him to come here and start threatening lawsuits? He's a joke and always fucking has been.