Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The plan was to have chapters like 5 years ago and that it wasn't going to be released all at once for fuck same

- - - Updated - - -

So why even talking about this? It is either in very early development stage or not even a sketch is drawn, not a single word written and by that it is completly pointless to talk about it.

So what it is? Either they are stretching thin on even more projects or are talking out of their asses and i dont have idea which is more propable...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    So why even talking about this? It is either in very early development stage or not even a sketch is drawn, not a single word written and by that it is completly pointless to talk about it.

So what it is? Either they are stretching thin on even more projects or are talking out of their asses and i dont have idea which is more propable...
    Considering both SC and SQ42 use a lot of the same assets, there's ZERO reason to push development of one over the other. The systems have to all be consistent between both projects which is difficult to do when you have two entirely separate teams working on them with a singular art team. Most of the single player features will be applicable to SC, but SC takes more effort to design because it's an MMO. Single player games are invariably easier to develop because you don't have to deal with network infrastructure related problems. But all the mechanics, planets, character models, ships, weapons, buildings and everything has to be consistent. They've been working on SQ42 for as long as I've been following the game and I know there was a ton of work done on building the story and getting actors in to do the captures, but that was a couple of years ago. But even if the story is entirely flushed out, you finish chapter one and start working on the second chapter while chapter 1 is getting polished and fixed. Alpha is still slated for Q2 but I don't see that being realistic and Q3 might be more reasonable. Their roadmap hasn't been updated in 5 weeks and they aren't using it anymore but most of the things that needed to be completed were based around the visual experience of the game so we should at the very least find out in the next month or so when the alpha is going to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post

you do realise you can actually look up the progress of sq42, there is a fair amount of sq42 in greybox while other chapters cant progress until the assets are implemented since many missions require a finished interior of the idris and a few other ships.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

he was stating that there is nearly no progress with sq42 but even with an outdated progress it still shows a fair amount of what has been done

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    He was? I thought that they were "broadly happy with that progress", are they happy with nearly no progress? O.o;

... and what's a "fair amount"? Unless I'm interpreting that shit wrong they seem to be overall quite behind on their goals, meanwhile the BETA phase is supposed to be out next quarter and the roadmap just stopped getting updated ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Welp, it’s okay, if yet another delay pops up, we can just argue that Q2 2020 was never a real release date just like the previous ones.
    They have not updated the sq42 progress on the website for a long while but they have still been progressing so we dont know what percentage they are at now, and obviously there is going to be some delays especially having to work from home not as much work can be done, the game will be released when its ready as there is no point in releasing something that is not up to standard.

That's the point...

Also, "some delays"? The game has been getting delayed since 2014

Plus, they were clearly pretty behind on schedule already, I really don’t know if the outbreak will cause much of a difference at this point. Regardless, no one is asking them to release anything that’s “not up to the standard”, all I’m saying is that I wish they would be able to hit anywhere near close to the release windows that they keep putting out for a fucking change.

If the game is just going to be “ready when it’s ready”, then just go with that instead of throwing numbers around.
    Now now, this is crazy talking, done when it is ready would not help them gather more money.

In before SC never getting out being Corona's fault. And Derek Smart's.

I could have sworn someone here was saying that they could now generate new worlds at a quick pace and really get going on filling that giant universe that was promised.
    Yet the new world have been delayed 2 patches?
    Kinda sounds like its not quick or easy.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I could have sworn someone here was saying that they could now generate new worlds at a quick pace and really get going on filling that giant universe that was promised.
    The moons have been finished for 3.9 for some time so it has nothing to do with the delay, the only outstanding task for 3.9 is the friends/contact list and i think they want to sort the bug out that is making some players having to reset thier accounts. Evocatti have had 3.9 for a while its just waiting to be put on the PTU.

10+ Year Old Account
    pre-alpha patch 3.9 is now on the PTU for Wave 1, here are some updates to look forward to on the PU Live build soon.

the fog on ArcCorp has been reduce so now we can get images like this of its cityscape:

https://i.redd.it/7e69oqvhqbu41.png

New Babbage Spaceport on Microtech with the Prowler Stealth Dropship in the foreground:

https://i.redd.it/tsvwujz4tfu41.jpg

NPCs no longer just stand on furniture and are practicing social distancing even on Microtech:

https://i.redd.it/l870sn247eu41.jpg

Prowler leaving one of the new moons of Microtech, Calliope:

https://i.redd.it/eyexcepjqdu41.png

weather effects on armor:

https://i.redd.it/a92ihu9vtbu41.jpg

This looks hella cinemetic. a guy running on the Microtech moon Clio with a Carrack to the left and a Prowler taking off in the background:

https://i.redd.it/l1w7m2u7khu41.jpg

New Babbage interior showcasing an information hologram (gives me Mass Effect vibes), npcs exercising and running, a store where you can buy food and drinks and the sip and chug animations of consuming a drink, oh and recycling is also in!

Stop embedding massive images in the thread. Links are fine and don't kill peoples data on mobile. If you insist on using the images then make thumbnails and link to the actual image. - Lucetia
    Last edited by Odeezee; 2020-04-23 at 06:01 AM.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Yeah, and they're just boring old barren moons as well.

---

I thought this infographic from the subreddit was enlightening. 3+ months work, 600 staff and $14 million spent gets you...

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    I thought this infographic from the subreddit was enlightening. 3+ months work, 600 staff and $14 million spent gets you...
    It means nothing at all, do you believe that the whole dev team spent the past few months just working on one small area of the game, there will be things already completed that wont even get implemented in the PU for several patches.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    It means nothing at all, do you believe that the whole dev team spent the past few months just working on one small area of the game, there will be things already completed that wont even get implemented in the PU for several patches.
    Sure thing Kenn. We've been seeing that with each patch right? Where content is just removed time after time and continually shunted down the line. Staggered development was meant to put a halt to this debacle but that is clearly not working either.

The only constant is that patches are repeatedly gutted.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Sure thing Kenn. We've been seeing that with each patch right? Where content is just removed time after time and continually shunted down the line. Staggered development was meant to put a halt to this debacle but that is clearly not working either.

The only constant is that patches are repeatedly gutted.
    only a fraction of the dev team actually work on things specifically for the PU, so what does it matter if something isnt ready to be implemented yet and even more so past few months work would have slowed way down from everyone working from home, adding in more important features is better than implementing things that can be added later

Wait, what? can you elaborate that?

Alexa, quickly! Google: “the importance of meeting deadlines”.
    So you believe that the whole team is just working on the PU which is just a small section of the game, there are areas of the game being worked on as we have seen in many updates that will not make it into the PU for several patches and many ships that are not even currently available to even buy.

They are not deadlines and they can only implement things that are ready, you cant even name one game in the history of development that makes every single thing they want to do, and the stuff that is pushed to a later patch is not even essential.

Jfc, are you related to Cathy Newman by any chance?

No dude, I just really wanted you to elaborate your statement, since I was under the impression that the PU was some sort of sandbox of what the MMO version of the game is supposed to become, thus features are just slowly dumped into it whenever they are ready to be tested by a high amount of players, not that they are made “specifically” for it, and not that it could really be worked on just by a “fraction” of the team, since everyone is working for it even if somehow sort of indirectly.

I mean, that’s just what I got from:

Thus my question.

That’s a list of features that “should be completed” by 2020-04-21, in patch 3.9.0.

Nor I would even need to since that has nothing to do with my point.
    There is a ton of features that are at least functional but will not be implemented for several patches such as wormhole to pyro, they dont just put in anything that is complete into the PU, the features that do get put into the PU are stuff needed for the game anyway at some point, but 1001 was implementing that all they had done in the past 3 months was just what was implemented in the 3.9 PTU.

In ever single game in development features are always put to a later date if its not ready, there are no deadlines as if something is not ready its not ready, they have a roadmap of what they are aiming to do and have stated on many ocassions they will not put something ingame if its not ready, deadlines are not something that is even relevant in game development, would you implement something just because of a deadline if its not ready.

If your roadmap is full of stuff that isn't important and gets pushed back constantly because your still working on actually important things then you should probably fire your producer and find one capable of making a roadmap that properly lists the important things first...

and lol at "deadlines are not relevant". That 'idea' is why Roberts games have to be bought by other companies and released when he runs out of money.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

…okay…. and your point is?

Woah… just woah… that…. that sounds… pretty legit… excellent signature material too!

But yeah dude, it not being ready when it should (according to themselves) is sort of the point here…

Also, you seem to be under the impression that I’m somehow arguing that delays never happen or something, when that couldn’t be further from the truth.
    There is no such thing as deadlines in game development, just a guideline on what you think you can do things around, plus star citizen is doing things no other games have ever done altogether, its you thats throwing around the term deadlines trying to justify any point your attempting to make.

In game development its fact that every single game pushes back features that are just not ready to implement yet, why should star citizen be any different.

Be legit Kenn, how much do you get money per post?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

snip
    Games in development cant stick to deadlines, you cant just say this must be done by this time when any game in development cant always do something by said time. A deadline is something that must happen and thats impossible in game development.

Delays happen in all games in development and thats where the similarities end with SC because it is implementing features and systems that have never been combined before along with the size of the game being larger than any other game that has been developed, you cant really complain when a game is trying something so out of the box no other developer would even attempt it and then complain its taking longer.

Your comparing your expectations to games that have been developed for years and have an industry standard formula, how are new games meant to be developed when gamers like yourself complain about everything.