Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    A select few, you implied it was the norm for AAA games.

Watch Dogs, a brand-new IP from Ubi built as a AAA game (high quality, but mediocre reception) took 5 years. Again. You. Are. Still. Wrong.

TLOU 1 (PS3) took 3 years to develop. You. Are. Still. Wrong.

You were talking about single player games, not MMO's. You're still moving goalposts.

I'll drop it here since you seem unwilling to accept that you are wrong, that's fine. But needless to say, you're wrong and should probably stop making shit up if you want to have any credibility in this thread.
    The last of us and watch dogs already have fully established studios behind them that have already been making similar games, so the game isnt completly fresh so it can take less time to develop because thats the style of game they already make. Technology has improved in the past 10 years with things like direct x 12 in 2015 and as time has gone by more and more games are taken longer to develop than they did 10 years ago.

Star Citizen is completely new and everything needed to make it work has to be built from scratch, most other companies dont have to start from nothing so its obvious SC is going to need a longer development time.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

New revamp of the inventory UI to come in the next patch. Only took 6 years!

Hopefully the bug where you open your mobiglass and then it immediately closes and the slow mobiglass loading times will be fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

I do like the oldschool CRPG feel of the new inventory UI. Looks like it feel tactile.

is star citizen finished?

another couple of years passed

you're wrong and should probably stop making shit up if you want to have any credibility in this thread.
    What credibility? This has been going for the last 700 pages.

It’s a coping mechanism, he will say whatever he needs to, not to convince you nor me, but himself, that all this is normal, it’s all justified, it’s all good, thus his emotional and financial investment on a video game are not even remotely misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by EnacheV View Post
    is star citizen finished?
    No and it probably won't ever be. See this post.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Nothing i said was made up
    You moved the goalposts so far they are on a new field and you think a new game is starting up to be played on said field.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll drop it here since you seem unwilling to accept that you are wrong, that's fine. But needless to say, you're wrong and should probably stop making shit up if you want to have any credibility in this thread.
    Any credibility? He's been doing this exact same thing for a few years now in this thread.

if you want to have any credibility in this thread.
    This ship has sailed. About 600 pages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by notaltacc View Post

Calm down Pinocchio.
    At this point, Star Citizen isn't starting proper development till 2035.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I am 100% confident that will indeed be Kenn's position if you ask him why SC is taking so long to get released in 2041.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    i realistically, unironically think the game will be finished by 2030. looking by how fast things move, how much more they want to implement, i think thats a fair date. not too long, not too fast.

and im weirdly fine about it. i know what i was getting into, and i can play whatever the current state of the game is (however annoying that might be xd)
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

So, this has been in development for 10 years with enough money to fund a few AAA game teams simultaneously and it's still nowhere near to being finished is what I'm reading?

Oof.

If I had invested money at the start I'd be in denial by this point too, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    You cant develop a game without staff, many game companies do this and have a small team work on a project and then go into full development, CiG had to build up a company from nothing, that takes years to do so until there was a suitable staff level for the company the game couldnt be in full development, if they had 300 plus staff at the end of the kickstarter that would be a different matter.

So SC has only been in full development at most since 2015 with 263 staff, now they have double that amount. Everyone is judging the game to other companies that already had hundreds or thousands of staff to begin with. Building a company from nothing takes a long time and developing a game at the same time is much harder.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-10-05 at 08:03 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

You cant develop a game without staff, many game companies do this and have a small team work on a project and then go into full development, CiG had to build up a company from nothing, that takes years to do so until there was a suitable staff level for the company the game couldnt be in full development, if they had 300 plus staff at the end of the kickstarter that would be a different matter.

So SC has only been in full development at most since 2015 with 263 staff, now they have double that amount. Everyone is judging the game to other companies that already had hundreds or thousands of staff to begin with. Building a company from nothing takes a long time and developing a game at the same time is much harder.
    Here's Kenn once again pulling a random date out of his ass to justify shoddy development. Add it to the list.

So SC has only been in full development at most since 2015 with 263 staff
    Or 2013! - https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...4#post40753134
    Or 2015 actually - https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...8#post47654198
    Or 2017! - https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...2#post50772832
    Or 2012/13? - https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...5#post51417885

You're just setting arbitrary dates based on whatever seems to fit for the current moment. So yeah, folks are going to point out that the "official start of development" isn't something properly set in stone and that given that it's a moving target per your own posts, that it's a fairly meaningless measure.

Taking 8-9 years to develop a game would be unique to an isolated case of this kickstarted game company starting small and growing slowly. It's not a standard across the industry, by any measure. Games that take that long to development (without outright being cancelled) are an exception to the standard.

Black Myth Wukong is being worked on by 30 people, is using top tier technology of UE5, and the game is slated for 2023. That's a 4 year development cycle. That is closer to the standard time it takes to develop a game. And there are plenty other examples, like the next God of War or the next Spiderman game.

I mean listen to your own statistics here. 'Only have 263 staff'. "now they have double that amount" More cooks in the kitchen doesn't make things go faster, and you'd know this if you knew anything about game development. "They didn't start till 2015". Is that a standard across the industry for singleplayer games to have 2 entire years of pre-production before starting game development, then having another 6 years of Alpha?

30 people were working on Wukong in 2020. They were able to put together a trailer showcasing op tier graphics. They are planned to release 2023. The size of staff isn't as important as planning out the game and actually getting shit done.

Star Citizen has some clear 'development hell' problems that are even documented on Wikipedia.

As the project continued to delay key features and miss projected deadlines, the media began to suggest that the game may become vaporware and might never be released.[99] Many of these delays were blamed on micromanagement of the project by key members of Cloud Imperium Games, and criticisms of feature creep plagued the project.[100] Comparisons were made between Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous, another crowdfunded space flight simulation game announced at about the same time and released in 2014.[101]

The reason it's taking so long is poor planning. Had they had something planned solid from the start and kept on course, they could have released this thing back in 2015 (I'll even be nice and say 2017) when they initially planned it, then simply added on after it's fully released. Right now, it's 2021 and the game is still in Alpha with no deadline in sight.

It's not a technology issue. It's a design issue. Technology is not holding back God of War or Spiderman or Black Myth Wukong. Size of team is not holding any of these games back. What would hold them back? Poor planning and development hell.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-10-05 at 10:18 PM.

I really like how flexible the development of Star Citizien seems to be.
    It's finished and not finished at the same time.
    Had and never had a release date/window (since "aiming for 2015" obviously means nothing and is just a random number)
    Did and did not start development until *insert date/event here* and apparently nothing that applies to EVERY SINGLE GAME DEVELOPMENT EVER applies to SC.

But it's obviously everyone else (including the people here that do have experience in game development) that has no clue about the game or how game development works.
    CiG could openly say themselves "we started full development at may 24th 2014 and failed to meet our planned release date which was October 8th 2017"" and it would still "not count because reason" or something...
    Last edited by Shakzor; 2021-10-05 at 09:12 PM.

You're just setting arbitrary dates based on whatever seems to fit for the current moment. So yeah, folks are going to point out that the "official start of development" isn't something properly set in stone and that given that it's a moving target per your own posts, that it's a fairly meaningless measure.
    It is weird he’s had free rein to spout off and constantly move goal posts.

It is like the in-joke of this thread is watch him set up the playing field but then decide to move to another city to play ball there. All he does is constantly lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post

It is like the in-joke of this thread is watch him set up the playing field but then decide to move to another city to play ball there. All he does is constantly lie.
    Just like the people on official SC forums because they banned all the truth sayers. Now only liers and dreams left there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post

If only there were people who could give out punishments for such blatant lies. Someone who watches forum threads to keep things from getting too out of hand. But now I'm just talking crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    If only there were people who could give out punishments for such blatant lies. Someone who watches forum threads to keep things from getting too out of hand. But now I'm just talking crazy.
    I think there just may be someone and that someone just may have been in active engagement with said person(s) for many years now, sometimesseveral times over on same matter.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988