Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    imo, for most people buying the ultra huge expensive ships just to get a head start are going to find that without the support of a large organization and crew, they're not going to be able to ever use them.
    You don't ned a guild or a bunch of friends to run them; you could just hire NPCs to run yor turrets and fightr jets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    You don't ned a guild or a bunch of friends to run them; you could just hire NPCs to run yor turrets and fightr jets.
    Having those are not going to be free. Personally not worried about fielding enough players for operations due to my org size though

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Having those are not going to be free. Personally not worried about fielding enough players for operations due to my org size though
    Biggest problem for me (and many players) is that we have no friends to play SC with, don't want to have to download a dozen a0s and have a mic all the time to be in a small, core guild of dedicated players but neither have the causality to join n a large, loose group of social players. We recognize Tye need for teamwork to advance in the game, but just quite can't find any guild (or org, in this case) the fits us.

The first thing that needs to be adjusted is the concept of "buying a ship." Which is the hardest thing to disassociate. You're not buying a ship. You're pledging to support continued development of the finished game. The ship is the reward for doing so.
    Not convinced by this whole 'pledge' excuse.
    a/ They wouldn't give over $600 with no reward thus the reward is a major interest for the buyer.
    b/ If the ships are a gift why do buyers get so upset about them, Constellation Phoenix comes to mind.
    c/ Everything in the two cash shops use the 'Buy' label.

Anyway, if people spend $600 on virtual pixels they don't deserve that money. Too willfully excessive for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    a/ They wouldn't give over $600 with no reward thus the reward is a major interest for the buyer.
    b/ If the ships are a gift why do buyers get so upset about them, Constellation Phoenix comes to mind.

Anyway, if people spend $600 on virtual pixels they don't deserve that money. Too willfully excessive for my liking.
    1. They get a good excuse to spend more money to help CR out on making the best damn spaceship game ever.

2. They get a nice bit of space pixels for that donation.

3. The people who spend money on all the expensive stuff (like the thousand dollar Idris when it was on sale) have to do so because in some countries like the U.S., socalisim has taken hold and anyone who takes in more than 250,000$ a year gets hammered hard. Pledging is a way to hide that money and not get taxed.

For a smaller multicrew ship (Constellation, Freelancer) that's certainly possible. But on larger ones (ie. Idris), good luck maintaining any kind of healthy margins

Biggest problem for me (and many players) is that we have no friends to play SC with, don't want to have to download a dozen a0s and have a mic all the time to be in a small, core guild of dedicated players but neither have the causality to join n a large, loose group of social players. We recognize Tye need for teamwork to advance in the game, but just quite can't find any guild (or org, in this case) the fits us.
    feel free to join my org if you like lol

a) Well yes its clearly an incentive...?
    b) Because if history has taught us anything, people bitch about everything. Most of those people are still in the "doesn't realize this shit is barely alpha" group.
    c) What word would you prefer? You also enter the store by going "Store > Pledge", it also doesn't say "Buy" other than physical merchandise. The specific words are "add to cart" and "checkout."

Also none of your, or my, business what people do with their own money.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

c) What word would you prefer? You also enter the store by going "Store > Pledge", it also doesn't say "Buy" other than physical merchandise. The specific words are "add to cart" and "checkout."
    Which implies a sale rather than a pledge. It just seems rather strange that supporters are the ones being deceptive when it's normally a business that does the shady shit. Interpretating words to mean what you want them to mean is a.k.a lawyer lingo.

Also none of your, or my, business what people do with their own money.
    Of course not, doesn't mean I or anyone else can't have an opinion though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can definitely understand players wanting such an environment, I'm sure plenty of such groups will pop up closer to release going for tiny tight knit communities.

Loose group is not how id describe mine though despite being fairly big but i suppose that comes with the kind of crowd a piracy one attracts. I think having a mic is something that will be useful in this game regardless if sitting on a VoIP or not due to the hailing system they are going for but regular text chat will probably also be there.
    Last edited by zealo; 2014-10-07 at 07:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

People spend thousands of dollars on purses, shoes, watches and tons of other stuff that are basically just reskins of the previous model. If someone works hard and earns enough money to drop $600 on a virtual space ship, who are you to judge them?

A pledge isn't a donation. Yes there is incentive, and you are buying the ship, but it is to support the company. RSI was going to stop asking for pledges, but the community said they wanted them to keep coming.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    People spend thousands of dollars on purses, shoes, watches and tons of other stuff that are basically just reskins of the previous model. If someone works hard and earns enough money to drop $600 on a virtual space ship, who are you to judge them?
    Are you saying it's wrong to voice an opinion that such extravagance is grossly excessive?

A pledge isn't a donation. Yes there is incentive, and you are buying the ship, but it is to support the company. RSI was going to stop asking for pledges, but the community said they wanted them to keep coming.
    So, if they do a poll regarding ship selling post release which gets a majority of 'aye' votes, does that suddenly become acceptable? I feel the larger community would bring out the torches and pitchforks.
    The polls are aimed at those most heavily invested in the game which makes it rather biased as that group are far less likely to be critical. Just seems a bad way to get fair feedback.

Are you saying it's wrong to voice an opinion that such extravagance is grossly excessive?

So, if they do a poll regarding ship selling post release which gets a majority of 'aye' votes, does that suddenly become acceptable? I feel the larger community would bring out the torches and pitchforks.
    The polls are aimed at those most heavily invested in the game which makes it rather biased as that group are far less likely to be critical. Just seems a bad way to get fair feedback.
    A poll is a bad way to get feedback? That's a silly statement. Anyone backer who visits the front page and reads the letter to the chairman can vote. If they don't vote, it isn't RSI's fault no one is giving them negative feedback.

Also it isn't wrong to voice that opinion but it isn't wrong to state that it is a fairly petty point of view. It isn't like you can't get this ship during normal play anyways and all the money that gets generated goes toward development so it is a win for someone who doesn't buy it too.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong.... just childish. Grossly excessive isn't going to stop someone from getting the newest and shiniest. It's the social norm and that's what people flock too. To say they don't deserve the money is asinine.

As a business owner, if someone tells you, "do this, and I will give you money" would you not be the worst business owner in existence if you said no? If someone isn't happy with how expensive the ships are then don't fucking buy them, you can just unlock the exact same ship when the game releases.

They had a poll available to the entire community and the majority said they want to keep the pledges, your opinion on polls is odd. RSI can only go off of what people tell them, and if the majority of their feedback is positive, why would they do the opposite of what the people want?
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2014-10-07 at 04:04 PM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Which implies a sale rather than a pledge. It just seems rather strange that supporters are the ones being deceptive when it's normally a business that does the shady shit. Interpretating words to mean what you want them to mean is a.k.a lawyer lingo.
    What shady shit? The only people coming up with "shady shit" are people like you. But thanks for calling me a liar.

Not to mention when it clearly says "Pledge" I'm not sure how you think it implies "Sale." Even then its fucking semantics.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-10-07 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    A poll is a bad way to get feedback? That's a silly statement. Anyone backer who visits the front page and reads the letter to the chairman can vote. If they don't vote, it isn't RSI's fault no one is giving them negative feedback.
    I consider it bad if your polls are soliciting feedback from your most ardent supporters who are generally made up of 'yes men' and/or 'wallet warriors'. It's hardly going to be good representation for the larger community. I seem to remember SW:TOR forums having a very similar issue.
    Besides, if you fork over $600 for concept art you've already proved you're not capable of making rational decisions (that last is partly tongue-in-cheek).

What shady shit? The only people coming up with "shady shit" are people like you. But thanks for calling me a liar.
    Not to mention when it clearly says "Pledge" I'm not sure how you think it implies "Sale." Even then its fucking semantics.
    An example of shady shit is running a cash shop in a bloody pre-alpha. So what shady shit am I up to exactly? Seems to me you're chosing to find a differing opinion offensive. "Add to cart" "Buy now" etc are sale terms not donation terms...

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong.... just childish. Grossly excessive isn't going to stop someone from getting the newest and shiniest. It's the social norm and that's what people flock too. To say they don't deserve the money is asinine.

As a business owner, if someone tells you, "do this, and I will give you money" would you not be the worst business owner in existence if you said no? If someone isn't happy with how expensive the ships are then don't fucking buy them, you can just unlock the exact same ship when the game releases.

They had a poll available to the entire community and the majority said they want to keep the pledges, your opinion on polls is odd. RSI can only go off of what people tell them, and if the majority of their feedback is positive, why would they do the opposite of what the people want?
    The reason I disagreed with your other post is because you're equating something with immaterial value to something with material value. Concept art/virtual goods are not comparable to something like a Breitling watch, which would have a high resale value or even become an heirloom.
    The business owner example depends entirely on context. If it means going back on something that you declared as a really bad idea then it would be a bad decision. I couldn't care less about the money, I care about the game, the company producing the game and good practices.

An example of shady shit is running a cash shop in a bloody pre-alpha. So what shady shit am I up to exactly? Seems to me you're chosing to find a differing opinion offensive. "Add to cart" "Buy now" etc are sale terms not donation terms...
    I didn't say you were up to shady shit, but that you were perpetuating this misinformed nonsense and the concept of "shady shit" by remaining wilfully ignorant and insisting on arguing about semantics.

This whole thing predicated on the complete non-issue of CIG selling expensive ships...which is funny because people (like you) will call it a cash grab. Despite there being a limited sale on them. If they truly wanted to run a cash grab on something like the 890 Jump, why would they limit them? It doesn't follow.

I didn't say you were up to shady shit, but that you were perpetuating this misinformed nonsense and the concept of "shady shit" by remaining wilfully ignorant and insisting on arguing about semantics.
    I don't agree with you but I see what you're saying.

This whole thing predicated on the complete non-issue of CIG selling expensive ships...which is funny because people (like you) will call it a cash grab. Despite there being a limited sale on them. If they truly wanted to run a cash grab on something like the 890 Jump, why would they limit them? It doesn't follow.
    Sounds like artificial scarcity.

Sounds like artificial scarcity.
    Which won't matter if they never sell out of them in the first place. Which is highly likely given the price point and it being such a niche vessel. They also don't want thousands of them flying around the galaxy. Same with the Idris and any of the even larger capital ships. Whether its technical limitations or an ethos thing where they don't want it to become capital vs capital like in EVE, who knows. But that's the plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad that Chris has gotten the money together to make this game. However, all the buy signs have been a turn off for me. I'll wait until after launch before considering putting any money into this game.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I'm glad that Chris has gotten the money together to make this game. However, all the buy signs have been a turn off for me. I'll wait until after launch before considering putting any money into this game.
    Think you've said this before :P

Entirely reasonable I guess. Though you're going to end up paying a higher box price at launch day, versus pledging earlier for a package.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think you've said this before :P

Entirely reasonable I guess. Though you're going to end up paying a higher box price at launch day, versus pledging earlier for a package.
    Yes I have, but they keep putting new stuff on the shelf.

So every time I think about tossing some money into the pot they put something new on the shelf and my spidey senses start tingling again. Most of what Chris has done I've liked, except for the movie and Armada. I'm still disappointed with Armada. But, like Gordon and Rich with TOR, I keep pondering that he may have let this horse get away from him.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.