Yeah just look at all those amazingly ambitious mmorpgs made with cosmetic sales only...

Wake up kids, you are crying about both crowdfunding and game development basic needs. If it was easy big studios would have done a Star Citizen or a Squadron 42 for you restless bitching crowd to play.

But they havent so all you got is bitching, useless repetitive bitching.

Waste of everyones time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Oh yeah how much did they make from that Kickstarter? God! Those poor starving artists!

Oh you've been playing it for 4 years now? I didn't know it launched.

Totallllllllly not P2W, nope. Better crack open my wallet and plunk down 24k or however much that silly bundle was.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, they'd have plenty of ways to make money without selling in game credits, ships, land and whatever else you can crack open your wallet to get for advantages in game. For people to be blindly accepting of it and critical of people that are not going to accept it, is just funny.
    Yep and those who don't blindly accept it are just "clueless" or w/e overused insult they throw out these days.

Least there are decent space sims out there for me.

The game is P2W. People who can't accept that fact need to redefine what P2W means to them. Simple as that really. Not our problem you don't know the actual meaning of it.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-12-18 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Yeah just look at all those amazingly ambitious mmorpgs made with cosmetic sales only...

Wake up kids, you are crying about both crowdfunding and game development basic needs. If it was easy big studios would have done a Star Citizen or a Squadron 42 for you restless bitching crowd to play.

But they havent so all you got is bitching, useless repetitive bitching.

Waste of everyones time.
    Mmmhmm keep drinking that P2W Kool-Aid. They TOTALLY couldn't have funded this game by other means. Totally.

Mmmhmm keep drinking that P2W Kool-Aid. They TOTALLY couldn't have funded this game by other means. Totally.
    The funny thing is though the game was already funded before this.

But of course P2W is excusable if it's "supporting the game".

Hey feel free to point to other studios out there who delivered games with a similar lvl of quality, ambition and complexity of StarCitizen and Squadron 42 with crowdfunding alone. I'll wait right here.

While youre at it check the crowdfunding campaigns of other mmorpgs and see how they go.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2018-12-18 at 06:45 PM.

The fact that no one else is stupid enough to try it doesn't prove your point.
    And the whole purpose of kickstarter is to fund the thing you want to make. If you can't fund your kickstarter project off of the kickstarter money you screwed up.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Do not pretend to tell me what would and would not affect my fun. I enjoy commerce, trading, Auction Houses and the like. If some fuckwit is getting a huge advantage because they paid real money to win in the game and I'm getting shafted because I wanted to earn my stuff in game and now I'm behind the economy game. Fuck that. That is pay 2 win.

Also you DON'T fucking know if it will be a big advantage or not. Stop trying to speak for that company. All we see right now is pay 2 win ships.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems to be a common theme. People sure do seem to know a lot about a game that isn't released and how this shit will all work is finalized and most of them love to handwave shit away. All I know is there is a massive fucking cash shop to buy ships.
    if your that upset that a small percentage of the population will start of with a slightly better ship then don't play the game, people moan and moan and we all still don't have a clue how all the mechanics of the game will play out. And if someone is flying around in his big fancy trading ship that would make him a priority target for pirates and they could have a massive loss

FACT is without being able to buy these packages there would be no game or it would not be the game we all want, the company has not got a vast amount of money compared to AAA developers and have had to build the company up from scratch.

Before spewing off things like P2W over and over why don't you wait to see how things are closer to the time.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

I see we are still going with the "It's fine because it's only Alpha"

Yeah because that makes it being P2W in that state so much better....

Hey feel free to point to other studios out there who delivered games with a similar lvl of quality, ambition and complexity of StarCitizen and Squadron 42 with crowdfunding alone. I'll wait right here.
    You do realize that SC has not launched right? They have not delivered a game with any quality. How much money has SC taken in? They better be able to deliver something of quality and complexity.

I love how you think that SC is launched and P2W tactics are totally acceptable though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    if your that upset that a small percentage of the population will start of with a slightly better ship then don't play the game, people moan and moan and we all still don't have a clue how all the mechanics of the game will play out. And if someone is flying around in his big fancy trading ship that would make him a priority target for pirates and they could have a massive loss

FACT is without being able to buy these packages there would be no game or it would not be the game we all want, the company has not got a vast amount of money compared to AAA developers and have had to build the company up from scratch.

Before spewing off things like P2W over and over why don't you wait to see how things are closer to the time.
    How many more years do people need to wait for the game? 5? I already said I won't play this game because of the P2W elements. And before you ever ask why I'm here: I'm here to watch the spectacle of SC and if it fails or even launches. Considering how much money they have taken in, constant lies and missed deadlines it is interesting in that regard.

Deleted
    What other games had the same amount of money crowdfunded as Star Citizen? I'll wait right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I see we are still going with the "It's fine because it's only Alpha"

Yeah because that makes it being P2W in that state so much better....
    Come on man only a 'small percentage' of the population will be better than you the moment the game launches because they dropped a small bank buying ships, land, credits and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sofnr View Post
    What other games had the same amount of money crowdfunded as Star Citizen? I'll wait right here.
    This is going to be an epic wait.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Well kinda like EVE. You destroy the ship and part of what was inside of it floats in space for you or someone else to pick up.

Also In Eve people are attacked all the time in "safe zones" People get rich and make kamikaze ships to pester people mining/harvesting or to simply kill off ships to take thier loot with a teammate grabbing the loot.
    Things like salvaging a ship is going to take much more time that in EvE, the devs have also stated that there is going to be a very thin line to certain activities that could be considered griefing, and with the insurance system in place i highly doubt a kamikaze aproach will be profitable,

also why destroy the ship, there is going to be boarding mechanics so you can steal the ship or its cargo, now wouldnt a whole ship make you more money than what scrap is left over.

Destroying a ship just for the sake of it is pointless, a real pirate would be looking at what profit can be made.

the company had to be built up from scratch, plus the game is going beyond what AAA developers with fully established teams and even more money behind them even attempt to do.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2018-12-18 at 06:41 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

None ofc, there's only one Chris Roberts.

Come on man only a 'small percentage' of the population will be better than you the moment the game launches because they dropped a small bank buying ships, land, credits and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

This is going to be an epic wait.
    Meanwhile I picked up Elite on PS4 for £15 on sale. Ain't perfect but I'm having the time of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post

Oh come on. This is not a case of people starting with a "slight advantage", ie a +3 armor set, You're talking about people having multitudes of ships which, going by current rates, would give them thousands of hours time advantage over someone starting at the same point.

CIG have claimed that selling ships removes the issue of someone starting a game and being years behind other players but in reality they've made it so the game starts with some players having huge advantage from day one, instead of it being something that naturally occurs in the lifespan of a game.
    No one expects to log into a game 5 years after its release and be on equal footing with long term players but people damn well expect something close to that if they log in during the first week of a game's launch.

The fact is that they could have easily raised money without selling out, Assume for as moment that they sold 10 different types of ships at $20 a piece.

2 million backers @ $60 = $120 million
    50,000 backers buy all 10 ships @ $20 a piece = $10 million
    100,000 buy 5 ships @ $20 a piece = $10 million
    200,000 buy 1 additional ship = $4 million
    Total of $144 million

Each ship could take no more than a couple of days to earn negating a large amount of concern about P2W.

They could also sell various cool looking cosmetic skins for ships, armor, weapons etc if necessary.

The idea that they needed to target whales with ridiculously priced game assets is a complete fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Initially i thought that was a comparable scenario, but the more i think of it, i disagree.

In WOW buying a max character the only currency saved is time.

In SC buying a large ship not only saves time (time spent earning the currency) but also the currency itself. This would be okay if the currency earned was used exclusively for ships. But this currency can be used for other things. So the player that buys a ship saves no only time but also currency that can be used elsewhere. So it does impact the broader economy.
    Sort of. With SC, you are getting the "shell" of your ship. You'll still need to buy all the various upgrades (ie: the "gear" that traditional MMOs use) to improve your ship such as improved shields, thrusters (of which can be configured and replaced on an individual level once the new flight model arrives), engines, cooling systems, weapons, etc.

Sure, it's not ideal, but I don't think it'll have as big of an impact in the long run as some are thinking. Of course, we won't really know until we're closer to beta. There are still a number of systems that need to come online before we can really see how these initial flux of ships will affect the economy. Who knows, having these ships in play may even kickstart the economy, since mining, salvage, repairs, refueling, etc. will be active on day one.

You cant have games as ambitious as Star Citizen without crowdfunding and ship pledging.

So whille you cry about your imaginary p2w think about this:

The only reason you lot bitch about Star Citizen is also the reason why it exists in the first place. Because gamers want this game and the only way to make it happen is through crowdfunding.

While you're at it write an email to blizzard/activision asking why dont they make their "starcitizen" type of game. Heck use the StarCraft universe! Good luck with that!
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2018-12-18 at 07:50 PM.

You cant have games as ambitious as Star Citizen without crowdfunding and ship pledging.
    I'm not even sure I can roll my eyes any harder than I am right now.

My point was there will be plenty of time for you to get a justice boner once beta hits with a full vertical gameplay stack. Nobody knows to what degree pledge items will affect things yet or not. And it's in their best interests to make things not get out of hand. For all you know, completing the S42 campaign will automatically give you enough funds for like a Prospector, Constellation or Cutlass Black or something. The game is being crowdfunded and those funding more development than others receive more perks. What's to stop someone from just buying 30 accounts with a single pledge then transferring ships, for example?

While other games waste half their funding on pewter dragon dildos, stickers, and canvas bags, SC puts the majority of the money into funding development directly bc that is what people are donating for. You can only fly one ship at a time and those people you claim have dozens of ships will either have them mothballed or be borrowing them out to friends. You act like the game is a 1v1 in a vacuum.

I seriously would like to know what you guys think the funding model should be then? Because the entire point of crowdfunding was so that a publisher couldn't force them to cut half the features and rush the game out to meet some holiday release window and fail ala BF5 and FO76. But because it's a multiplayer game that means they can't use crowdfunding I guess?

The only people that seem to be overly butthurt are the ones that apparently haven't pledged to have the game made and are just mad they can't get a cool game for free and be 100% equal out the gate? Guess what: You won't be anyways, because those already pledged and playing will know the game systems by heart and already know the proper ways to make money and where the better money-making areas are, etc. They'll be the ones joining corporations and sharing ships/cooperating instead of sitting here being angry loners.
    Last edited by stellvia; 2018-12-19 at 01:49 AM.

I think people complain because they cant unsee from the WoW perspective others just for the sake of complaining.