Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    But you did not make any exceptions for a woman who is emotionally unprepared to give birth and raise a baby, or to give her own flesh and blood away. Why this inconsistency?
    In fact, studies indicate the psychological damage caused by carrying an unwanted baby to term is greater than that induced by abortion.

Not to mention the risk of, you know, death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    all of those are reasons for not wanting it, though. and pregnancy always has the potential to kill the mother and child.
    I guess what I meant to say was "I don't feel like having a baby" doesn't jive. "This baby could kill me," "I cannot support this child," and "I don't want to have a child with a 90% chance of dying before the age of 5" do jive.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Its not your right to be a relgious zealot. Stop pretenging its okay to take aaway rights because you beleive in the fake man in the sky. If I think my toaster says its okay to kill you does that make it right?

---------- Post added 2012-10-12 at 01:35 AM ----------

Also funny how the same republicans are pro gun, pro death penalty, anti birth control and any social program that helps poor children.
    What does religious zealotry have to do with believing life starts at conception? Are you telling me that your opinion that life only begins after time period x has elapsed is more valid than mine which considers the uniqueness of a zygote in all of human autonomy to be definitive enough to qualify as life?

I consider myself a libertarian. That is nearly all choices about how to live your life should be up to you. However, that liberty does not extend into harming the liberty of others. I consider a women killing an unborn child to be a violation of another person's liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Everyone who supported slavery was free, everyone who supports abortion was born. That's all.
    cute but irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    I find it odd that a lot of them are against abortion but pro death penalty. Seems counter-productive to the whole "all life is sacred" message.

As Didactic points out above me, 'rights' is a tricky concept. Actual children (as in those born) have fewer rights than adults. Cells have none. At what point do you stop giving rights? If you want to give everything rights, does that mean I am a murderer because 99.9999% of my sperm cells will die without purpose?
    The only reason that I don't support capital punishment is due to it's insane expense to the tax payers. Make it cheaper and I would support it.

I just googled that. /mindblown
    I have a transgender friend who blew my fucking brains out with the list of gender spectrum disorders out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Still. 3 days? Legally a woman has 10 months. I think a man should be afforded more than 1/100th the time frame.
    Men get higher pay, more social respect, more seats in government, etc. Give women a privilege for once.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Galil ACE View Post
    Technically speaking, all organic life forms are lumps of cells.
    Well, I woudn't say we are "lumps".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcoloco View Post
    Adoption isn't an option at all is it? If you can't provide for yourself and a child with food and shelter you shouldn't be rolling the dice having unprotected sex. If you are mature enough and responsible enough to have sex, you should at the least be mature enough to not abort a child because you made a stupid mistake. Some things in life have consequences that you have to take responsibility for, whether you like it or not.
    Yes, and the medical costs are factored into that. But what right do you have to demand what price others pay for a perfectly natural human activity?

Quote Originally Posted by Khelek View Post
    What does religious zealotry have to do with believing life starts at conception? Are you telling me that your opinion that life only begins after time period x has elapsed is more valid than mine which considers the uniqueness of a zygote in all of human autonomy to be definitive enough to qualify as life?

I consider myself a libertarian. That is nearly all choices about how to live your life should be up to you. However, that liberty does not extend into harming the liberty of others. I consider a women killing an unborn child to be a violation of another person's liberty.
    Fine, take the fetus out, if it can survive on it's own, great. If not, oh well, parasites die when separated from their host.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Then stop calling yourselves Pro-Life. Pro-Sexism, Anti-Choice, Pro-Religion, take your pick.
    I've personally never used any of those to describe myself. I prefer to avoid such labels, since they come off as too restrictive IMO. I don't think abortion should be a means of birth control, but I also am not against it in a life-and-death situation or even rape/incest. I just think it should be more restrictive. If there are no medical or psychological (rape/incest) threats to mother/(unborn)child, then I don't think abortion should come into play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I woudn't say we are "lumps".
    How come mum used to call me a lazy lump then? HUH?

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Still. 3 days? Legally a woman has 10 months. I think a man should be afforded more than 1/100th the time frame.
    It should suffice to tie such the father's timeframe to the legally permissible time limits on abortion (with reasonable alloowances for setting things up).

EDIT:actually I misunderstood that, well it's such a theoretical subject I'm sure better minds would have worked out better legal frameworks for it if it ever comes to pass.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-10-12 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    -Why are the Republicans so bent on taking away a woman's right to control her own body?
    They aren't.

You are making things up.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Men get higher pay, more social respect, more seats in government, etc. Give women a privilege for once.
    The privlidge of what? Destroying an unborn child? That's totally comparable...

Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn View Post
    Do you believe that you should be forced to harbor a parasite against your will?
    A parasite does not have the potential to become a sentient being and unless it is a situation concerning rape then it wasn't against someone's will. Two people made the choice to engage in behavior that had the potential to end in a child. If they were not prepared for that possibility then maybe they should have kept their close on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    I've personally never used any of those to describe myself. I prefer to avoid such labels, since they come off as too restrictive IMO. I don't think abortion should be a means of birth control, but I also am not against it in a life-and-death situation or even rape/incest. I just think it should be more restrictive. If there are no medical or psychological (rape/incest) threats to mother/(unborn)child, then I don't think abortion should come into play.
    Luckily for women, what you think doesn't and shouldn't matter.

And if you want to split hairs, the chance of dying in childbirth is five times greater than from abortion. So really, the risk is present until post-natally.

If you really refer to an unborn baby as "a parasite", let us just hope you never have one.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcoloco View Post
    The privlidge of what? Destroying an unborn child? That's totally comparable...
    No, that's a right. I was referring to the privilege of not informing men until the last minute.

How come mum used to call me a lazy lump then? HUH?
    Visualising that avatar as a lump... awwww ^_^