Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Elvis was famous because he was something new. He was one of the first big stars to come from the rockabilly movement of the 50s and people instantly fell in love when they heard his first record, That's Alright Mama (which was actually a cover). He had fans from all ages all over the country. Next to his music Elvis also caused an uproar with his hip movements, which were unprecedented, and contributed to his popularity.

I'm not a fan of Bieber (although if Boyfriend came on the radio I probably wouldn't turn it off :P), and from what I've heard he doesn't really exemplify any of these qualities very well. Does he have what it takes to be an even bigger success? Yes. Is he comparable to Elvis? Not in a musical context. Popularity though? Maybe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I'm not saying i'm a huge fan..my niece is though. Just thought of the similarities between the two singers and how their careers are sort of mirroring each other.

Sorry but Beiber is busy doing ACNE commercials, that pretty much give you a hint of the age group of his audience even though I admit it seems a bit to old for even that.
    Elvis had "a bit" larger and wider audience than that

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah those two really don't compare at all.

Elvis was an innovator who meshed sounds from different genres, introducing the wider public to music that was previously only heard by a select few. Basically, he performed black music in a way that would sell to white audiences. Which was great, it was about time the awesome music the black subculture was making at the time go big. He was more or less self started, they didn't have the mega media corporations then that they do now.

I have family in the vocal recording business so I've had a chance to see how it works. You meet with an executive, they tell you what they want to sell you as. "I can market you like a....(fill in blank of existing artist)' Then its up to you to make yourself look, sound and sell as much like that artist as you can. They give you the names of photographers, recording studios, writers, backup artists, and generally everything else you need to get started. You call those people up, tell them who sent you and you get a basic service that everyone who calls them gets. You pay for all that stuff, then if the executive like what they see, they hook you up with an agent and tell you to go market yourself locally, when you can show you have a local following they think about signing you.

It is all very formalized and pre packaged. This is why all the artists seem the same. They have the same people prepping and teaching them along the way and the media companies are very very very hesitant to even talk with anyone who is not prepared to fill whatever niche that company has available to market. There are so many decent performers out there that if you are not willing to bend over backwards to follow every adjustment to yourself that they deem necessary, you are out the door and the next poor sucker is in. The costs to the artist are insane, tens of thousands of dollars to get a photo shoot, a song or two recorded and a website put together for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I'm not saying i'm a huge fan..my niece is though. Just thought of the similarities between the two singers and how their careers are sort of mirroring each other.
    Beiber was originally slated to be in a CSI story-arc that would last a whole season. In his first acting job on CSI, they quickly cut that arc down to 2 episodes due to his horrible acting, and in the 2nd episode he was killed off so he couldn't return.

No, Beiber is not mirroring Elvis. Elvis could act and had many successful movies. Beiber can't act and will end up like every other modern day singer: doing nothing once he hits the age of 25 and having to wait a few more years until he can do a comeback tour and capitalize off his now aged fans nostalgia.

15+ Year Old Account
    Beiber said he would be the next Kurt Cobain, its just a matter of time... (no offense to Kurt )
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Deleted
    You are one thought ahead of me.

Elvis was and is the king. Justin Bieber is a teenage phenomena who arguably does good (I haven't heard him much, but I found it repulsive what I did hear).

Which will be listened to in the next 50 years?
    Last edited by mmoc859327f960; 2012-10-23 at 09:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one will ever be the "next Elvis." I'm ashamed to be no the same planet as someone who thinks otherwise. The fact that the OP is comparing him to Justin Bieber, I'm ashamed to be in the same universe.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    Yeah those two really don't compare at all.

Elvis was an innovator who meshed sounds from different genres, introducing the wider public to music that was previously only heard by a select few. Basically, he performed black music in a way that would sell to white audiences. Which was great, it was about time the awesome music the black subculture was making at the time go big. He was more or less self started, they didn't have the mega media corporations then that they do now.

I have family in the vocal recording business so I've had a chance to see how it works. You meet with an executive, they tell you what they want to sell you as. "I can market you like a....(fill in blank of existing artist)' Then its up to you to make yourself look, sound and sell as much like that artist as you can. They give you the names of photographers, recording studios, writers, backup artists, and generally everything else you need to get started. You call those people up, tell them who sent you and you get a basic service that everyone who calls them gets. You pay for all that stuff, then if the executive like what they see, they hook you up with an agent and tell you to go market yourself locally, when you can show you have a local following they think about signing you.

It is all very formalized and pre packaged. This is why all the artists seem the same. They have the same people prepping and teaching them along the way and the media companies are very very very hesitant to even talk with anyone who is not prepared to fill whatever niche that company has available to market. There are so many decent performers out there that if you are not willing to bend over backwards to follow every adjustment to yourself that they deem necessary, you are out the door and the next poor sucker is in. The costs to the artist are insane, tens of thousands of dollars to get a photo shoot, a song or two recorded and a website put together for you.

TLDR: Elvis was the gourmet sue chef, Bieber is a line cook churning out a receipt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Beiber said he would be the next Kurt Cobain, its just a matter of time... (no offense to Kurt )
    You actually just offended Kurt, and everyone that has ever liked a Nirvana song.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    Beiber was originally slated to be in a CSI story-arc that would last a whole season. In his first acting job on CSI, they quickly cut that arc down to 2 episodes due to his horrible acting, and in the 2nd episode he was killed off so he couldn't return.

No, Beiber is not mirroring Elvis. Elvis could act and had many successful movies. Beiber can't act and will end up like every other modern day singer: doing nothing once he hits the age of 25 and having to wait a few more years until he can do a comeback tour and capitalize off his now aged fans nostalgia.
    I don't know...i don't think he did TOO bad on CSI. I did have a hard time taking him seriously though on the show.

People like to hate on the Bied. Meh, he is what he is. And what he is, is just another construction of the music industry. He is an icon in popular culture and nothing more. Oh, I'm sure he is a skilled musician, but I seriously doubt he has any real artistic chops. He may be huge now, but in five years he will be the guy that used to be Justin Bieber. Sort of like the Spice Girls.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Elvis had a broader audience...

Bieber is just with young girls...

So.... no?
    Yeah and elvis with middle aged women
    big difference

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    big difference
    In his heyday, Elvis Presley's audience and fan base was a LOT more than middle aged women.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    ITT: People in this thread really like Elvis .

15+ Year Old Account
    big difference
    Um no? Young woman went NUTS over him...Same age group as that other crappy kid ya'll are talking about.

Wow...Were you really serious? Sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    -_- I hate him.......and no he will not be the next Elvis Presley, but I do hope he die like Elvis!!!

<insert i dont want to be on this planet anymore meme>, because that really does sum up my response perfectly

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pud'n View Post
    ITT: People in this thread really like Elvis .
    yeah, surprises me too

Elvis? No. Artist of the week? Probably.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    You know, it's not just a specific age group or gender for that matter that likes Elvis' music. It's like Michael Jackson, U2, Frank Sinatra, Sting, these people and groups are universal because they make good music and appeal to different things in many people. These teenage music-industry artists that pop up do not and are there every generation at all times, but are replaced quickly.

15+ Year Old Account
    yeah, surprises me too
    No it doesn't unless you are under 11. Than maybe but thats just Naive. He died before I was even born and I know he was the King or Rock n roll. Parents hated him Kids, young people loved him...To deny that is nothing short of trolling.