Heroic Elegon 10m Kill Videos, Tank and Healer PoVs

So it seems more guilds are starting to progress on Heroic Elegon and coming up with questions. My team's official kill video (Holy Paladin PoV) and my stream (Guardian Druid PoV) are both online, so I figured people may find those useful to look at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD8ugrT9JKQ (Official Video, Healer PoV)
    http://www.twitch.tv/thenore/c/1713908 (Twitch Stream of kill w/vent. Guardian Druid PoV)
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-hz...?s=5936&e=6415 (Logs)

Also, some more info for the community:
    - The fight is easier than Heroic Gara'jal by far.
    - Yes, you can do it by only killing 4 sparks each time, that's what we did as you'll see in the videos.

If you have other questions, I'll do my best to try and answer them...
    Last edited by apinksquash; 2012-10-27 at 03:12 AM.
    Life is good.

hi! thank you so much for this video... ive been looking for a post-fix tank pov vid for this fight since we're having some trouble. everyone says elegon is so much easier than garajal but we did spiritbinder in 59 pulls and we're on, like, pull 85 for elegon.

anyways, what i was wondering about was the celestial protector. i understand the technicalities of its mechanics but our tanks are having trouble getting him outside without a tick on the raid. he's supposed to start pulsing at 25% but we can never manage to get it out of the field with zero ticks. its easy to heal through in p1 but we're seeing a lot of wipes related to it in p2. i noticed you don't get a tick until about 10% on him.... is there something we're missing?

Deleted
    wow, looks easier than normal lol. 1 thing about the protectors, i noticed total annihilation doesnt hit all the raid, after lookin at the journal, is that because the elegon zone thing prevents targeting in and out of it, so the annihilation will only hit those outside... thats why i noticed u had 1 person stay out each time, i guess it was some1 with a strong CD? as journal says it inflicts 500k dmg.

other than that, the fight looked very easy, healing looks a bit insane at the final zone, but we have monk and shaman healers, so that shouldnt be a problem haha!

rly wish we attempted it last reset now

it only looks easier because it requires perfect execution to land a kill. go check out sinestra videos.... that fight looks easy too lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    it only looks easier because it requires perfect execution to land a kill. go check out sinestra videos.... that fight looks easy too lol
    I never said IT IS easier, i merely said it looks easier. Theres a lot of things you wont realize on a fight just from watching a video, then when you come to do the actual encounter you realize theres little things you have to do. Thats why most videos are pretty useless imo, if he did a little commentary with teh video explaining how the protector works differently compared to normal, the video would be way better. He wouldnt even have to speak, just have a bit of text lol.

And sinestra was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    hi! thank you so much for this video... ive been looking for a post-fix tank pov vid for this fight since we're having some trouble. everyone says elegon is so much easier than garajal but we did spiritbinder in 59 pulls and we're on, like, pull 85 for elegon.

anyways, what i was wondering about was the celestial protector. i understand the technicalities of its mechanics but our tanks are having trouble getting him outside without a tick on the raid. he's supposed to start pulsing at 25% but we can never manage to get it out of the field with zero ticks. its easy to heal through in p1 but we're seeing a lot of wipes related to it in p2. i noticed you don't get a tick until about 10% on him.... is there something we're missing?

I'm usually able to move them out without any ticks on the raid for 3 reasons:
    1. I position them as close to the edge of the platform as I can.
    2. We have enough dps on the protectors that their health is usually dropping by between 10-15% per second once they are sub 50%.
    3. Due to the speed at which their health is dropping, I start dragging them out when their health is at about 30%. In the half second to a second that it takes them to move out of the field, they will be below 25%. Thus no ticks inside.

However, it's important to note that there is a slight delay between when the Protector hits 25% health and when he starts pulsing. So even with lower dps on him, if you position him close enough to the edge, you should still be able to get him out before any ticks go off. You just have to adjust for the dps on him and maybe start dragging him at 26% instead of 30% for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathruler11 View Post
    wow, looks easier than normal lol.
    If you execute everything correctly, then it's about the same difficulty (in terms of damage on the raid and how much mana the healers have to use) as normal mode. If you don't execute well...

1 thing about the protectors, i noticed total annihilation doesnt hit all the raid, after lookin at the journal, is that because the elegon zone thing prevents targeting in and out of it, so the annihilation will only hit those outside... thats why i noticed u had 1 person stay out each time, i guess it was some1 with a strong CD? as journal says it inflicts 500k dmg.
    You are right in all your assumptions. Only people outside the field get hit by it, and you only need one person to soak it in 10 man.
    Last edited by apinksquash; 2012-10-27 at 10:52 AM.
    Life is good.

Deleted
    What are the best tips you'd give to people attempting the boss? what were the main things you wiped on and had to improve?

-Making sure protectors get outside at 25% quickly so raid takes no ticks
    -killing at least 4+ sets of adds each transmission to get 10+ total.
    -Personal CDs and raid cds at the last 10-15% of the boss? Damage dont seem to bad at the start of the phase, but towards the end it looks quite insane.

As i said, theres things u can miss frm the video, so any little tips and advice would be gr8, and its rly something u should include in ur videos to make them better

Deleted
    What I wonder it's how you distributed the sparks. We had 2 locks, 2 mages, 1 feral, 1 balance last time. Ended up putting a mage in frost and a lock on destro, but even so the sparks were far from perfect. Only the destro and the feral seemed to be able to handle one up on their own to the 5th. Tanks and two dps per side had a spark assigned for them, with a free dps aiding in any spark (mostly the tank one). Mages specially were horrid at handling their own.

10+ Year Old Account
    This fight was relatively simple. Nothing really changed other than handling protectors, which is much easier than it seems. If anyone wants a 3rd pov from DPS you can also view this in addition to his tank and healer ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxsAr7jtuEU

yup handled correctly the boss is almost exactly the same as normal. heres our rogues pov as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7mpfBGzuho
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

What are the best tips you'd give to people attempting the boss?
    Hmm, that's hard to say. I guess it would be don't underestimate it. Even though I've said it's significantly easier than Gara'jal, don't underestimate it. Guilds that have already cleared Heroic Gara'jal shouldn't have a super hard time with Elegon, but guilds that have only done StoneGuard and Feng might run into dps issues in the burn phase.

With our dps we were able to full-on three heal Gara'jal. Considering most guilds are having to 2 heal, or 2.5 heal it, I'm worried for the people that are seeing our videos and thinking this looks super easy, and whether or not they'd have trouble finishing Elegon before the healers run oom. If you watch our kill video from our healer's PoV you'll notice she only had mana for about one more Holy Radiance at the end when the boss died, and our monk was completely oom. So even with our dps, we probably only had 10 more seconds before we would have all been dead.

what were the main things you wiped on and had to improve?
    Two things:
    1. Having people not die to the adds in the transitions. Our pally at first was having some issues with picking up all the adds and holding aggro on all of them.
    2. Not getting a third/fourth protector right before pushing the boss into a transition.
    Explanation: The boss transitions into the Sparks phase at 85% and 50% health. You either need to push the boss into one of these transitions before you get another protector, or else you need to hold off on dps until after the Protector spawns and you've dealt with it.

-Making sure protectors get outside at 25% quickly so raid takes no ticks
    A little bit, but not really. Our Prot Pally had to work a little bit on this (and still the raid gets a tick usually when he does it).

-killing at least 4+ sets of adds each transmission to get 10+ total.
    Again, not really. We had a couple pulls where people's sparks were hitting when they'd get bad RNG on their attacks, due to this we started telling people to pop a minor dps CD for the 4th wave and never had any problems after that.

-Personal CDs and raid cds at the last 10-15% of the boss? Damage dont seem to bad at the start of the phase, but towards the end it looks quite insane.
    The damage at the start is actually fairly significant most of the time for us (can't remember how it was in the video). Usually everyone is missing a lot of health from dealing with the sparks. What we do is this:

Right as the platform is spawning, our monk pops his Revival (or whatever it is that instantly heals the whole raid) because everyone is usually missing health at that point. By the time we deal with the adds and everyone settles into a stack on the boss, again for most of our pulls everyone would be at half health again and this is when our boomkin would use his tranq. One of our paladins would also use Devotion Aura to help stabilize the raid. After everyone is stabilized the healers don't really have any problems for a while; we use our second Devo Aura when the stacks start getting higher, followed by health stones and personal defensives. That's about it.

As i said, theres things u can miss frm the video, so any little tips and advice would be gr8, and its rly something u should include in ur videos to make them better
    While I'm glad I can provide useful material for the community to look at, and don't mind answering questions, what I'm not trying to do are instructional videos. I'm sure Tankspot, LearnToRaid, or some other service will have those for the community eventually.

---------- Post added 2012-10-27 at 01:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Espada View Post
    What I wonder it's how you distributed the sparks. We had 2 locks, 2 mages, 1 feral, 1 balance last time. Ended up putting a mage in frost and a lock on destro, but even so the sparks were far from perfect. Only the destro and the feral seemed to be able to handle one up on their own to the 5th. Tanks and two dps per side had a spark assigned for them, with a free dps aiding in any spark (mostly the tank one). Mages specially were horrid at handling their own.
    We had:
    1x Afflic Lock
    1x Combat Rogue
    1x Fury Warrior
    1x Survival Hunter
    1x Boomkin
    1x Ele Shaman

The left side of the room was our Warrior, Lock, and Boomkin with the Lock in the middle. I (Guardian Druid) would help on the Lock's Spark and the Lock in turn would help dot up our Boomkin's Spark. Our warrior never had any issues downing his without help.

The right side of the room was our Hunter, Rogue, and Shaman with our Shaman in the middle. Our pally tank would help out mostly on the Shaman's add (our Shaman seemed more RNG dependent than the rogue or hunter). For the second wave (or maybe it was third? Can't remember) the pally would switch and instead help out the rogue first as the rogue wouldn't have something available and needed help just for that one wave.

When you mentioned "to the 5th" I'm not sure if you mean you are killing 4 waves or 5... If you are trying to kill 5 you'll probably need to pop dps CDs or use Pots for it, else it will be very hard to get everyone's 5th down. That's why we chose to only kill 4 waves, it allowed us to save pots and major CDs for the burn at the end.
    Last edited by apinksquash; 2012-10-27 at 08:15 PM.
    Life is good.