Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to Harbinger...its why I created a Mage as my initial character. =)

I've got a question for you. If I was totally burned out on Rift after they added the new island zone, what is there in this expansion that would make me want to play again other than new souls. I ask because I downloaded the beta and didn't even get out of the Defiant tutorial area before I'd had my fill of it. Things I don't miss at all: ability bloat, having to stand still while casting, dps parsers.

If GW2 revolutionized MMOs for you, returning to Rift would be a waste of your time.

I quit Rift shortly after clearing HK - is there currently such thing as WoW's 'Scroll of Ressurection'? If not, is there anything similar to that for ex-players?

I would love to play both games again, as I did enjoy playing Rift a lot during my non-raid days.

Well I don't know about "revolutionized" but I have no stomach for raiding, I don't like having 20+ keybinds and I certainly do enjoy the freedom of movement GW2 has when playing a caster. I'm mostly a pvp player and I've read in various places that Rift pvp is wildly unbalanced and I'm not crazy about having to grind up pvp gear which is what you used to have to do in Rift (not sure about the current situation on pvp gear.) That said, I did like Rift at one time so I'm asking a serious question. Is there anything for someone like me that doesn't want to raid or grind gear. I don't mind spending the money on the expansion but I want to be somewhat assured I won't find myself not wanting to play anymore after 2 weeks or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    Well I don't know about "revolutionized" but I have no stomach for raiding, I don't like having 20+ keybinds and I certainly do enjoy the freedom of movement GW2 has when playing a caster. I'm mostly a pvp player and I've read in various places that Rift pvp is wildly unbalanced and I'm not crazy about having to grind up pvp gear which is what you used to have to do in Rift (not sure about the current situation on pvp gear.) That said, I did like Rift at one time so I'm asking a serious question. Is there anything for someone like me that doesn't want to raid or grind gear. I don't mind spending the money on the expansion but I want to be somewhat assured I won't find myself not wanting to play anymore after 2 weeks or so.
    Rift caters to casual play styles and hardcore raider/players it offers things like 5 mans, player housing (Dimensions) and long list of other things to do for the non-raiding crowd. Their soul system is far more complex then GW2 and Rift's PvP is progression based so yeah save yourself the pain and stick with GW2 if you like PvP. (even though I found GW2 PvP incredibly dull as well but opinions are opinions) If you can't get motivated to play for a short period time I'd say it would be a waste of your time.

Sorry for the short response before. I definitely agree with Azuri. The things you dislike in an MMO are the things Rift is built around. Large talent trees, multiple action bars to accommodate 3 trees' worth of abilities, and all content subject to grinding, be it dungeons, questing, or pvp for the sake of rank progression.

I wasn't being sarcastic with the GW2 revolution thing. Some people love the GW2 model, others think it's a little light. If you've grown accustomed to the style of action and gameplay GW2 offers, you won't find something truly comparable in Rift. It certainly needn't be either/or, but most who subscribe to both Rift and GW2 play the games for very different reasons, or figure GW2 is essentially free, so they can continue a sub-based game.

having to stand still while casting
    That's one thing I hated with GW2, it causes such a disconnect with your character when you can run around while casting anything and everything. Only way that would work for me is if you only have instant casts much like a melee character.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    That's one thing I hated with GW2, it causes such a disconnect with your character when you can run around while casting anything and everything. Only way that would work for me is if you only have instant casts much like a melee character.
    Well I have to disagree. I like actually being able to defend myself by moving around instead of having to be a damn punching bag for every melee character that sees a dress and beelines you. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Well I have to disagree. I like actually being able to defend myself by moving around instead of having to be a damn punching bag for every melee character that sees a dress and beelines you. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
    That's a different complaint though, having to stand still while casting something with a cast bar and lack of defense against melee while doing it is not the same and can have different solutions. Anyway if it feels right or not is up to the individual player, just wanted to add the perspective that it can ruin the feel of a game for some.

Deleted
    Hello All,

Tried rift when it was released and honestly didnt give it a fair try since I was too addicted to another mmo. Right now im having a blast in gw2 but im looking for another mmo to play alongside with it, and I have a couple of questions if you guys (and gals) dont mind.

Does rift have an equivalent of LFR? The reason i no longer have the will and time to raid on a schedule but would like to experience raids once on a while.

Does rift suffer from a massive ability bloat like swtor did?

Cheers

Rift does not have a LFR mode for raiding.
    But unlike WoW new 5 mans do not have better gear than raids from earlier tiers, so the majority of people still raid previous tiers. PuG raids are VERY common, for instance I usually do both weekly raid quests on my main and alt between 4am and 7am Server Time.

Rift actually has more abilities than SWTOR for most specs, the difference is that you usually don't use a number of them. My experience with SWTOR was having an insane amount of abilities and having to use all of them. The reasoning behind this is that often you subspec for certain passives or 1 particular ability but don't need the rest.

Hmm... Tbh, all of this makes it very tempting to give Rift another shot again... Though it's quite boring when you don't have anyone to play with.

Is Icewatch EU still fairly active? I remember that being the most popular server, unless it was that other PvP server (don't remember name).

( Also another thing that bothers me about Rift is all the previous titles/mounts that are no longer obtainable, as I'm a sucker for those things. It's shallow, but seeing rare things I can't obtain makes me weep. )
    Last edited by NotValidAnymore; 2012-11-09 at 10:15 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    Hmm... Tbh, all of this makes it very tempting to give Rift another shot again... Though it's quite boring when you don't have anyone to play with.

Is Icewatch EU still fairly active? I remember that being the most popular server, unless it was that other PvP server (don't remember name).

( Also another thing that bothers me about Rift is all the previous titles/mounts that are no longer obtainable, as I'm a sucker for those things. It's shallow, but seeing rare things I can't obtain makes me weep. )
    Icewatch being Fairly Active is a MASSIVE understatement, its usually packed and with the upcoming F2P weekend and also SL just around the corner, that server is in for a massive Boom

Regarding having no one to play with just hit the G when you log in, they added a Looking for guild tool, there you can browse around the guilds, find a nice social/casual guild and have a bit of banter with them, I think there are a few GM's that knock about here, so just have a look around and you'll find a group to play with in no time ^^

I just got only one, but very important question: did females of rift finally grew some boobs, or they still look like 12 yo boys?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentWolf View Post
    I just got only one, but very important question: did females of rift finally grew some boobs, or they still look like 12 yo boys?
    I think you may find a bit more joy in this game

10+ Year Old Account
    Zing of the day right at the start! =)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it is important to me. I really enjoyed rift, but one of the things that kept me from getting too invested was a general lack of character customization options (hairstyles, etc). Are there going to be any new customization options with this expansion?
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Dr. Carl Sagan

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by summourn View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it is important to me. I really enjoyed rift, but one of the things that kept me from getting too invested was a general lack of character customization options (hairstyles, etc). Are there going to be any new customization options with this expansion?
    Not with the expansion. However, patch 1.9 introduced a barber shop, I suggest you have a quick look over this thread ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Well PVEers were all in for a treat I popped into beta last night not expecting to stay on for long..... Wrong answer I ended up streaming for 3 hours and running a couple of dungeons and here are some notes I took.

I ran as a level 60 healer in a couple of "regular" dungeons only one person knew any of the mechanics which was a great help but I thought meh how hard can they be it's just another dungeon well to my surprise they upped the stakes. They've gave the dungeon some flavor which I don't want to spoil and also the attention to detail was crazy Hammerknell says Hi! and they knocked it right out of the park.

We all were geared with epic SL tier1 raid gear which meant we were able to one or two shot them (In regular, expert would have ripped our faces off) since someone could explain the fights to us and didn't usually take more then one attempt to goof it up and most people playing on the closed beta are seasoned Rift players. In summary I expect very challenging regular and expert versions of these dungeons and I was really caught off guard and I felt like a little kid lost in a supermarket in awe of these dungeon details. I didn't broadcast over Twitter that I was streaming I just went with the flow and the end of the stream it turned into a Q&A for Storm Legion and I did a request tour for some people that were simply blown away. I might do another 1080p stream of more dungeons tonight but again spoilers may not be for everyone.