Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
    I can already see Wowhards getting all bent out of shape because a site posts a less-than-favorable opinion of the game they're so attached to.

It's like...the people addicted to this game simply want mass approval from everyone. When someone comes out and speaks poorly of it, they go into attack mode and the other person becomes "the troll".

Me? I haven't played WoW in years, but this forum is entertainment and a regular reminder to me of the types of people I'd encounter if I played. Great incentive to stay away. [I'll admit a few times of the years I've considered starting a new char and starting from scratch, I know it'd end up all the same yet one more time.]
    I have no problem with 7.5. I probably would only give it an 8. I have every problem with their reasoning behind it.

Gamespot is crooked, plain and simple.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Do we really need a thread for every review that comes out for WoW? If you enjoy the game then we don't need other sites giving reviews.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Hoochlol View Post
    Please read before typing, I said "thus the start of the declines in subs." Subs started going down in Lich, which you just confirmed when you kindly added the point about them going down more so after the last content patch, which I believe is still DURING Lich Fail expansion.

They carried all the fail over into Cata, and now they are redeeming themselves by turning the clocks back to a more TBC style expansion, which most of the player base is very happy about. It's the Lich babies who are used to sitting in cities that are the ones crying about having to actually....do stuff out of the confines of a city.
    Guess what? *gasp* The subscription dropped towards the end of BC because of lack of content, too!

Cataclysm was so bad because it lost Subscriptions through the entire expansion.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Blanket statements with no evidence is a horrible way to make an assertion; why is the the best? And don't lump everyone together.

Edit:

I don't mind if people don't like WoW, what I hate is bad logic, fallacies, and general "WoW hating". If you don't like it, that's fine, but if you can't state a logical reason as to why, then that irritates me. Also, don't post in every f-ing thread about it. We get it, you don't like it. (This isn't directed at you.)
    I think there's a reason for that, the ones that DO post the hate in every thread...they're still trying to convince themselves to quit. They want others to say the game sucks too in order to validate their feelings. They're probably torn...the game may give them some fulfillment they're not getting elsewhere, but they're trying to break away.

But I get it about the haters. I personally just love seeing the addicted players get so worked up, they defend it like you're insulting their mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephre View Post
    Gamespot....Gamespot

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they fire a guy for giving kane and lynch a bad review? Kinda shows what credibility they have when they give a guy hell for not giving a game a high review.
    yes they did its known as the gerstmann gate scandal :-) he was fired by some guy who doesn't work for cnet (company that owns gamespot) anymore and formed giantbomb.com with a load of guys who quit after he got fired (patrick klepik, ryan davis, brad shoemaker, alex navaro and a few others), it was around that time i completely stopped going to gamespot for anything.

as for the review doesn't bother me at all, i'm enjoying the expansion despite the dailies which can get a little tedious which i have now dealt with by not doing all of them everyday, haven't touched golden lotus or klaxxi in 2 weeks and only done like 3 resets of shadopan and august celestials since unlocking them. score wise it doesn't bother me one bit they could have given the game a 1/10 and so long as i'm enjoying it i'll still play.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
    I can already see Wowhards getting all bent out of shape because a site posts a less-than-favorable opinion of the game they're so attached to.
    It's more like the people who can think clearly realize that Gamespot, along with Metacritic, are really poor sites to get a respected review from. That is ignoring the complaints that pet battles are bringing the quality of the game down. Not to mention the popular "lol kung fu panda" crowd on Metacritic.

Don't even get me started on a x/y scale. Apparently arbitrary numbers are super important in today's world and hold some sort of absolute value... that varies from person to person.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoochlol View Post
    Please read before typing, I said "thus the start of the declines in subs." Subs started going down in Lich, which you just confirmed when you kindly added the point about them going down more so after the last content patch, which I believe is still DURING Lich Fail expansion.

They carried all the fail over into Cata, and now they are redeeming themselves by turning the clocks back to a more TBC style expansion, which most of the player base is very happy about. It's the Lich babies who are used to sitting in cities that are the ones crying about having to actually....do stuff out of the confines of a city.
    Just because subs started declining in WotLK it dsn't mean that it was the expansions fault, the game was already four years old by that point.

"Group questing has always been a main draw for WOW as a whole, and while Pandaria still supports grouping of course, most of the quests here feel more appropriate for a single-player session in the vein of Star Wars: The Old Republic's quests."

lulwut? group questing the main draw? since when? what pre-release version are they talking about? in vanilla most zones didn't have a single group quest and very few had good group chains.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Seems like a solid review to me. I see no issues about the rating, and see no correlation between scores as quality when it comes to expansions. BC was carried on being uncontested and "THE FIRST EXPANSION TO THE KING OF MMOs", ((heh I remember an interview back before BC was released and they were happily announcing faction shared auction houses, bet that's nothing to brag about today eh?)), WotLK rode on the wave from "IT'S ARTHAS MOFOS" and Northrend, a continent we'd been waiting for for ages. Cataclysm also recieved a high score for refreshing the old, and making such a badass out of Deathwing, even though he's a minor character to most players (who don't really care about lore)

Is MoP the best expansion yet? Hard to tell. From what I've seen since I started playing (Jan 06 in case someone cares), is that they've constantly taken what has worked, and made it work for both casuals and hardcores a like. BC reputations, yup, they could be recieved in dungeons. A few select ones. You needed reputation with the Sha'tar? Have fun in Auchindoun. No tabards here. Couldn't even enter heroics until you got to revered. And that took dedication. The amount of HC runs were lower than amount of groups in Karazhan. Flawed design.

When it comes to questing, balance, overall quality (textures, animations, etc), professions, progression model, amount of things to do... yes it is the best expansion so far. But such things aren't judged yet. Hell, BC is constantly being referred to as the best even though design-wise it was a mess, like the step from 10 to 25man killing guilds. Too slow rewards, senseless faction grinds, overtuned and broken bosses, attunements that had little effect but to encourage guild hopping.

I think Blizzard has found sweet spots for most aspects of the game, but I'm being realistic here, more often than not expansions are being judged due to the amount of "content", yet not, because here "content" merely means amount of bosses. BC could've had a raid that were only accessible by people who were exalted with every faction in the game, had 20 complete copypaste blood elf bosses ((ps, go to wowhead and count the amount of upscaled BE bosses in BC, it's quite funny)) and it'd be regarded as "more raid content so awesome"

What we face, when it comes to raid content, is that yes, it will be "less" of it. These are not the times when only the dedicated few gets to see any raid whatsoever. These are the times when players of different levels of dedication, time and skill gets to see content and be rewarded appropriately. As said, hardcores will STILL always, ALWAYS, be rewarded be the best gear, coolest mounts, and most prestigous titles. Normal modes for people in organized guilds who don't feel like taking the extra step, and LFR for the majority who just wants to see the content and have a shot at some decent piece per week. This is the BEST possible design from any designer viewpoint.

But back to "less raid content", this is due to several things;
    Quality, no matter how you want to twist and turn in, the oldest raids were hollow one-texture rocks with upscaled mob bosses, and most of BC was just blood elves talking about Kael'Thas. I bet that if Blizzard made "BC quality" raids today they'd pump one out every two weeks. Animating bosses takes time, high res (comparably) textures take time. Boss balancing take time. Gear design takes time, and not to mention to balance every raid for three levels. That's the drawback of quality content.

In times like these, when the MMO market is no longer uncontested territory, I find 7,5 to be a good score for the FOURTH expansion for a game that is OVER EIGHT YEARS OLD. It doesn't matter what the other expansions had.

ps. Pet Battles are not a failure, frankly it's the best bang for the buck they could've added.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2012-10-31 at 01:34 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't give a shit about what other people think of the game since I like it, but I do feel it's only fair to point out that many game review sites are notoriously fickle and prone to being, uh, influenced by commercially benefit. That's not to say that people don't care what reviewers say, but read with a grain of salt.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    ^ spot on. gamespot lost all credibility when they gave MW2 9/10, and then continued to give the yearly game high reviews when they were just an outdated rehashed copies of COD4 (the last true COD)
    Agree'd, but if MW2/3 were actually copies of CoD4, they would at least be good. 2 and 3 are literally the same game with a few different balances (lol if you even want to call them that).

To be fair though, those retards probably rate the MW/CoD's on single player story, which 90% of the playerbase doesn't even go through once. They should rate the multiplayer.

On topic: people surprised MoP is shit? Lol I'm not... still haven't even bought it. If Blizzard hasn't changed the way they think, do you really think WoW is going to change? I'll answer that for you, No it's not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Agree'd, but if MW2/3 were actually copies of CoD4, they would at least be good. 2 and 3 are literally the same game with a few different balances (lol if you even want to call them that).

To be fair though, those retards probably rate the MW/CoD's on single player story, which 90% of the playerbase doesn't even go through once. They should rate the multiplayer.

On topic: people surprised MoP is shit? Lol I'm not... still haven't even bought it. If Blizzard hasn't changed the way they think, do you really think WoW is going to change? I'll answer that for you, No it's not.
    MOP isnt shit, though. And the fact that you havent even bought it or tried it out makes you lose credibility
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

Gamespot gave the best JRPG of the PS2 generation, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter an 8 / 10. They gave the worst JRPG of the PS2 generation, Final Fantasy X, a 9.3 and an "Editor's Choice" award. Fuck them. Gamespot is populated by a bunch of idiots. I'd rather trust some homeless guy on the streets that doesn't even play games.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 02:14 AM ----------

MoP is amazing and is the best WoW has ever been. I don't want Blizzard to change the way they think. They are the best game devs around by a long shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    And who are you to judge anything if you haven't even played any of it?

But I'll help you out. Blizzard has changed their thinking from only catering to dedicated few to the whole playerbase, and that's how the game will continue. If it doesn't agree with your perspective, well that's too bad. But as mentioned, since you haven't even tried the game, but rely on BC nostalgia (most likely, I'm assuming) and complaints from the vanishingly small minority posting on forums, well, you opinion holds no value at all.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by LuminousAether View Post
    Gamespot gave the best JRPG of the PS2 generation, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter an 8 / 10. They gave the worst JRPG of the PS2 generation, Final Fantasy X, a 9.3 and an "Editor's Choice" award. Fuck them. Gamespot is populated by a bunch of idiots. I'd rather trust some homeless guy on the streets that doesn't even play games.
    If you legitimately think Final Fantasy X is the "worst JRPG of the PS2 generation", then you have played two JRPGs, apparently. I find it mind boggling that you find Final Fantasy X-2 better, let alone Final Fantasy XII. And that's staying within the series; there's far worse games out there. So yeah.

You can't compare MOP dailies with BC dungeon rep grind. Running dungeons is a way to make friends, gets you geared, is fun and improves the player bases skills. It wasn't even that much of a grind for most as you already had a lot of rep from doing the levelling quests.

Grinding dailies is boring as hell and linking dailies to VP etc is completely stupid. Dailies should be an alternate form for those that want to do it and players should not feel forced to do them. Players should be able to progress their characters in ways that they want to whether it be pvp, dungeons, raids or dailies and the rewards should reflect the difficulty of the method.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    gamespot - "hey blizz are you going to pay us tons of money and advertise your product on our site"

blizz - "no we have a massive audience and will promote via our own means"

gamespot "enjoy your 7/10"
    This is how bussiness works lol... only the new franchises "need" to pay reviews.

Deleted
    I could take a bunch of bad points like current PvP balance or dailies feeling like a huge grind for some/many people, whatever but, really.. Phasing? Current phasing is pretty good atm, and I only noticed someone "going away" in VoEB when I was lvl 89 (the other was 90).

And pet battles? You could dislike them but, if you're into it, they are pretty good and more than I'd expect from a "mini game" within the game.

Even the trolls/haters can come up with better criticism -_- ...

well mop has the boringest dungeons so far of any xpack, instead of just giving us 4 to level to 90 they should have made a few of the heroics as non-heroics also,

they are the easiest and they also grant the least exp. a full clear doesn't even get me 2 bars rested exp, maybe because there's so little trash and they are so short.

Just an opinion... doesn't mean much.