Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Unless there's an online or Mac option for Simcraft, I can't use it.
    "Once you stop caring what an arrogant, ignorant, idiotic little twat somewhere half-way across the world in a mouldy little basement with his mother yelling down at him to get off his arse and get a job is saying on the internet, you will find an immense calm overcome you. Suddenly the world will seem a brighter place and your mood will improve immediately."

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Unless there's an online or Mac option for Simcraft, I can't use it.
    http://code.google.com/p/simulationcraft/downloads/list
    Gamer, Nerd, Physicist. What more could you want?! Well fine, I have a youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/shaidyadvice and a stream: www.twitch.tv/shaidyadvice I'm currently spending my free time with the fine fellows and ladies over at Death and Taxes.

i've read this somewhere on us forums but cant yet find the topic i've read it in
    regarding the below hit rating cap, it was because affliction is dot and channel based, so simcraft can detect misses instantly and reapply whatever ability was missed instantly without any delay. as a human being you will not react as fast as a software and reapply the missed ability for that reason it might not be best to go below hitcap by extreme amounts.

worst case scenario, have a cup of coffee, reforge to 15% hit and smack that dummy for a good few minutes, reforge out of hit by something u think is fine and retest, see what u come out with

I was under the impression that instead of boosting one stat or the other you would reforge from this rule of thumb:
    15% hit -> haste to corruption softcap 4717 - > rest into mastery.

This is from what i have gathered from other threads. But with this "rule", why is there a need to lookup stat-weights? (legit question, not being a smartass)

The previous corruption cap was what? 4138?, anyway, placing yourself in between just to get more mastery doesnt feel right.
    To keep on topic i use reforgelite where i set the spell hit cap and the 4717 haste and let the addon sort out the rest with focus on mastery.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't trust it at all.

I haven't trusted it since I heard of it in Tier 11 and it told me running no expertise was optimal as Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by skullzbh View Post
    i've read this somewhere on us forums but cant yet find the topic i've read it in
    regarding the below hit rating cap, it was because affliction is dot and channel based, so simcraft can detect misses instantly and reapply whatever ability was missed instantly without any delay. as a human being you will not react as fast as a software and reapply the missed ability for that reason it might not be best to go below hitcap by extreme amounts.
    This is a common misconception and it's unfortuante to see it spread around, SimC simulates human reaction times to procs and misses. You can even set how bad the persons reaction time is.
    Gamer, Nerd, Physicist. What more could you want?! Well fine, I have a youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/shaidyadvice and a stream: www.twitch.tv/shaidyadvice I'm currently spending my free time with the fine fellows and ladies over at Death and Taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Never trust a robot.
    NEVER !

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters
    Be feared, or be fuel

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CDShaidar View Post
    Forgive me if I don't just blindly trust you as I've been a good warlock for the last 8 years and it has been extremely rare that being below hit cap has been optimal for DPS. Also, you had +33% hit in ICC?
    I know what you mean, I felt the same way until reducing my hitcap to around 11%. It takes the smooth gameplay away a bit, but in general it is a waste to have more hit atm(imo). just try it out (seen warlocks with under 10% Hit, don't wanna how terrible often they must miss )

btt: AMR seems to think like that aswell, I prefer simming my char and simultaneously abusing the boss puppet to test if it's enough hit for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have not looked at the WOL parses for ranking players, but I tend to look at what the locks in the top guilds are doing. I've looked at 5 different locks in the past few minutes and saw hit that ranged from 6.98% to 13.98%. Seeing that these guilds are generally proficient at getting the most out of their characters I would use that as evidence towards NOT aiming for the hit cap.

Quote Originally Posted by smokingpaper View Post
    I know what you mean, I felt the same way until reducing my hitcap to around 11%. It takes the smooth gameplay away a bit, but in general it is a waste to have more hit atm(imo). just try it out (seen warlocks with under 10% Hit, don't wanna how terrible often they must miss )

btt: AMR seems to think like that aswell, I prefer simming my char and simultaneously abusing the boss puppet to test if it's enough hit for me.
    No, I know full well that losing hitcap can be a DPS increase in a single target situation. The poster I was replying to was just very very wrong about the reasons.

As far as reforging goes, I have never had anything come as close to being perfect as the addon "ReforgeLite".

I put in my stat priority and set absolute values for my hit and expertise caps and that thing will literally have me within a couple points away if not right on the nose. And if that wasn't enough, if will automatically reforge all your gear for you to the settings it came up with.

Get it. You will never look back.

10+ Year Old Account
    The current stat weights for Affliction seem to be too far off my actual stat weights to use AMR by default. It is however a VERY good tool when using your own stat weights, and tinkering with it. I've got it set to my own preferences, with a nice haste softcap in place, and it always gives me the best reforge possible to get the most out of the stats I have.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    During cataclysm on my prot warrior I had a few instances where mr robot was telling me to skip gem socket bonuses that resulted in a situation like this:

Mr Robot claiming that 40 parry 40 dodge 60 stam is worse than 40 parry 40 dodge 30 stam. (Or something. It was the same secondary stats, and one way had more stam than the other, just by switching 2 gems with each other.)

A few days later it got sorted out and stopped suggesting that, but just another anecdotal example to not blindly trust it. Especially right now, for my rogue it can't list any gear when I try to have it find upgrades sorted relative to my gear. Only with no sort filter will it show any options, which isn't the greatest for determining a decent upgrade path. And trinkets and weapons it just wont show me squat.

Almost like the daily blink comic last week or so, where askmrrobot just detects you're playing rogue and asks you to optimize by rerolling any other class.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    If you can't see the pop up "Miss" then your rotation is dead and your going to lose dps.
    If you can see it and re apply the missed dot your rotation is saved sooner than later losing less dps.
    Two major flaws in your theory. The pop up you call miss is:
    1. Not only displayed on one or two frames, it's displayed on over 60 frames as it stays up for more than one second using the Blizzard Standard UI and any normally configured combat text addon. In other words, you need to have ridiculously low FPS (like 1) to ever "miss" the "miss" popup!
    2. A decent affliction warlock will run a DoT timer addon and will see if DoTs miss regardless of seeing the miss text or not. ForteXorcist even tells you that you missed by a really annoying sound!

EOD.

On-topic
    Read up on your haste plateaus and how haste benefits you. In light of this information, pick a haste plateau that gives you the best theoretical performance. Then, download SimulationCraft. Run SimCraft on both static and movement fights with varying parameters on player skill etc. Then, combine the results SimCraft gives you and make up your own stat weights. Last but not least, get ReforgeLite. Input the stat weights and any soft/hard caps in ReforgeLite, click Calculate and then let it reforge for you. Win!
    Last edited by Arainie; 2012-11-03 at 05:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I haven't trusted it since I heard of it in Tier 11 and it told me running no expertise was optimal as Arms.
    Sadly, I must inform you that running no expertise was optimal for Arms in T11. Not by much, though
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

AMR has a Hit Cap build for those who didn't know:

It's really not bad for someone who wants to spend the least amount of time possible while still getting a near-optimal increase in DPS. Problem with AMR is that they don't actually run a sim with your current gear, they just assume weights based off T14 or something and weights differ every time you switch out a piece of gear. If you want to use AMR still you can sim with your gear to determine weights and edit the AMR weights yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Funny, a warlock in my guild used Askmrrobot and got a substantial dps increase even with 6% hit with 478+ ilvl, going from hit cap to 6% like it told him to. He gained something like 12-15k or more dps increase switching from destro to affliction with not being hit capped.
    Your warlock saw a DPS gain because he switched from destro (the lowest output spec) to affliction (the highest output spec), not because he followed what AMR suggested with regards to optimizing affliction reforges/enchants. The suggested optimizations are the topic of discussion, not what spec is best.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

as long as you input your own stat values its correct. i use it only for the "math" to make sure i get the exact results and maximum optimization of the ratings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mr Robot basically gives you stat weights for BIS gear. If you want accurate weights you'll need to sim in your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by CDShaidar View Post
    This is a common misconception and it's unfortuante to see it spread around, SimC simulates human reaction times to procs and misses. You can even set how bad the persons reaction time is.
    thanks for stating that misconception