[Books] Pet Sematary

Has anyone read this book by Stephen King? I've been reading it and am almost all they way through. It's pretty creepy, and I just wanted someone or two to discuss it with, someone that has read it that is.

Edit: Why did I misspell it! /cry
    Last edited by AWC 3117; 2012-11-04 at 12:33 AM.

Is this the book with the evil gym teacher kills his students with explosive dodgeballs?

No, I don't think i've read that one. But this is the one with the undead cat and such.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fixed the title for you.

I've read a lot of SK and this was the only one that actually -scared- me.
    The soil of a man’s heart is stonier; a man grows what he can and tends it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This will be the next King book I read. This was perhaps the most traumatizing scary movie I saw as a kid. I think I slept in my Mum's room for a week afterwards.

I can only imagine the book is even scarier.

I read it just a few months ago, actually. It's a good book, but I wouldn't say I found it 'scary'. I would say it was definitely 'disturbing' but I didn't lie awake sleeping at night thinking about how the undead are going to get me or anything like that. I guess I just found it very predictable and some of the decisions made by the main character are very stupid because he was desperate, which is pretty much the whole 'point' of the book I suppose, which is mostly why I say I found it 'disturbing'. It's easy to judge the stupidity of the character when you are just reading a book but if you really, really put yourself in his shoes, you realize he had a tough choice to make. More than pretty much any other book by SK, this one seems to bother a lot of people, I guess I see why that is but it didn't really bother me personally....though I'm sure those who have lost loved ones may be affected by it if they imagine that person in the story. I suppose you could say it's a different kind of scary.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2012-11-04 at 03:07 AM.

I read it years ago. I thought it was a pretty good book. I also enjoyed the movies. Granted it has been many many years since I saw the movies. I was pretty young so maybe the movies are not as good now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Fixed the title for you.
    Thanks But I misspelled Pet as Pe. The books title is actually Pet Sematary

---------- Post added 2012-11-03 at 09:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PFloydWall View Post
    I've read a lot of SK and this was the only one that actually -scared- me.
    The soil of a man’s heart is stonier; a man grows what he can and tends it.
    Yea i think of that line off and on now, because I am actually married and am starting to find that you shouldn't tell your wife everything. That's how I started off, hell, that's how we started of dating, telling each other everything. It doesn't work, and now I have that damned lined stuck in my head.

---------- Post added 2012-11-03 at 09:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    I read it just a few months ago, actually. It's a good book, but I wouldn't say I found it 'scary'. I would say it was definitely 'disturbing' but I didn't lie awake sleeping at night thinking about how the undead are going to get me or anything like that. I guess I just found it very predictable and some of the decisions made by the main character are very stupid because he was desperate, which is pretty much the whole 'point' of the book I suppose, which is mostly why I say I found it 'disturbing'. It's easy to judge the stupidity of the character when you are just reading a book but if you really, really put yourself in his shoes, you realize he had a tough choice to make. More than pretty much any other book by SK, this one seems to bother a lot of people, I guess I see why that is but it didn't really bother me personally....though I'm sure those who have lost loved ones may be affected by it if they imagine that person in the story. I suppose you could say it's a different kind of scary.
    Neither does it scare me in that way. Right now in my life me and my wife are planning on moving, I think that might be it, and also i've lost loved ones before, that might be another thing. I also think I have somethings in common with Stephen King, I think of morbid things a lot, like accidents that could potentially happen. When i was younger I would always move the dog toys under the table so my Dad wouldn't step on them, because I thought if he did he would trip and die. I think back to that now and think it's pretty stupid.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AWC 3117 View Post
    Thanks But I misspelled Pet as Pe. The books title is actually Pet Sematary
    Ah, yeah I see that. Okay fixed.

I find the the themes of death and rebirth , interesting and quite disturbing. It twists it into something evil.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?