Mesmer need help takes forever to kill a mob

I suck at the mesmer, I can survive, I just cannot kill, I cant find a leveling build, on the rare occasion that I find one I cant find how to use it. My problem is that I take 15-20 seconds to take a mob, if I am at my very best I may take 12 seconds. I need to know how to play this, I am a level 54, and I want a build and how to use it, I am not looking for videos, I just want some advice, I currently use a staff, and sword pistol based on phantasms but it seems having them kill the target takes a bit even with my (2) sword ability

It takes longer in general to kill mobs in this game, are you sure you're not just running into that? Also, last I heard the staff was pretty terrible when it comes to killing speed. I personally use double sword on my mesmer and don't seem to really have issues. Anyways, there is a Mesmer discussion thread if you wanted to ask there.

Delias stole my answer and thread link. There are nice people in the mesmer thread who are happy to help out if you have questions about the profession : )