Poll: Have you ever hunted for sport?

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I group them in because I feel the same way about them.
    Which is pretty much ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Yeah probably, but we've already been enlightened that killing shit on farms is apparently a-ok. Because it was born to die.
    It is a necessary evil.

I group them in because I feel the same way about them.
    You don't want to acknowledge that one group lets them rot and the other uses the meat?

Are you going to keep flapping your gums and waving your arms around screaming "You just don't understand!" or are you actually going to explain why?

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 12:56 PM ----------

Such as? Pretty sure I got them all.
    First off - I explained a lot on page 4. Second off - you haven't covered them all. You've continually avoided my attempts to have an honest conversation about it, and now you're doubling down on your either or fallacy (or over-generalization). Are we going to attempt to meet on common ground or should we both just leave that alone?

Are you going to keep flapping your gums and waving your arms around screaming "You just don't understand!" or are you actually going to explain why?

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 12:56 PM ----------

Such as? Pretty sure I got them all.
    Ive made my posts directed at you, either you skipped over them, or didnt read. Also asked what you have done for animals in your area, a post skipped over by you again.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Deleted
    Nope, i'd like to do it once though. But only if there's too many of one specie in the foodchain, like there's four bears and 2 deers, i'd shoot a bear (even though they are magnificent creatures) just so the foodchain stays 'even'.

And then i eat it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    You don't want to acknowledge that one group lets them rot and the other uses the meat?
    That doesn't make it more justifiable or necessary too me.

Did it a few times as a kid. Ducks and deer hunting, but never caught anything. I have no problem with it.

Deleted
    I hunt for meat, but I think that anyone that doesnt use the meat and just wants to kill for fun or trophies is a scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by klorx View Post
    Nope, i'd like to do it once though. But only if there's too many of one specie in the foodchain, like there's four bears and 2 deers, i'd shoot a bear (even though they are magnificent creatures) just so the foodchain stays 'even'.

And then i eat it
    Where I grew up they would often open up certain areas to deer hunting outside normal season simply because the deer population was getting out of hand. I still gutted them myself and kept the meat or gave it to friends/relatives though.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I hunt for meat, but I think that anyone that doesnt use the meat and just wants to kill for fun or trophies is a scumbag.
    Which is something I think everyone can agree on.

Well almost everyone.

That doesn't make it more justifiable or necessary too me.
    I don't understand. You're ok with Cattle being packed in farms shoulder to shoulder being fed feed that's packed with hormones making them fatter but you're not ok with someone who's following thousands of years of tradition and going to gather their own meat? It might be "unnecessary" to kill your own food when you can go to the supermarket and pay for it but if you're going to look at that as being "wrong" is it also "wrong" to grow your own vegetables?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stede View Post
    First off - I explained a lot on page 4. Second off - you haven't covered them all. You've continually avoided my attempts to have an honest conversation about it, and now you're doubling down on your either or fallacy (or over-generalization). Are we going to attempt to meet on common ground or should we both just leave that alone?
    No I read your post, you like killing animals for the grandeur and because you are unwilling to abandon unnecessary concepts. I just don't accept that reasoning.

dont really see the point in it unless it's for food but to say that shooting something is sporting is a bit...well...unsporting.
    The animal never has a chance unless you are a dithering idiot with a crap aim...now if you were to take a bear with a knife/sword i would consider that sporting.

No I read your post, you like killing animals for the grandeur and because you are unwilling to abandon unnecessary concepts. I just don't accept that reasoning.
    Then dont accept it and move on... if you cant get by your own personal bias, nothing that could ever be said will change your mind. I contribute to a solution. I help with conservation efforts in hunting areas, i build populations for things i hunt. what do you do to help?
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

the choice of options are skewed. Its either YES or NO. None of those answers apply to me.
    The times I've gone hunting I've never harvested anything, but the intention was to get a decent amount of healthy lean (deer) meat. Yes, red meat on a regular basis can cause problems in excess, however a few hundred pounds of meat for the cost of a license and a round or two is more than worth the effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I don't understand. You're ok with Cattle being packed in farms shoulder to shoulder being fed feed that's packed with hormones making them fatter but you're not ok with someone who's following thousands of years of tradition and going to gather their own meat? It might be "unnecessary" to kill your own food when you can go to the supermarket and pay for it but if you're going to look at that as being "wrong" is it also "wrong" to grow your own vegetables?
    I'm not okay with it. I just realize that it is a necessity. In a perfect world I'd prefer is humans were completely vegetarian, but that isn't the reality. I am against killing wild animals because you really don't need it, it is not necessary for you to live a comfortable life.

And growing vegetables is more akin to raising cows than it is to hunting wild animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    So lets see... hoofing it up and down mountain sides for several days, stalking your prey for hours on end, then carrying your kill out several miles... yeah, ill say thats athletic and sporting... you call football a sport, why not hunting??? It takes more to stalk and take down an animal than it does to catch a ball and run a couple of yards.
    Sporting implies there is competition...guns null and void that competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    dont really see the point in it unless it's for food but to say that shooting something is sporting is a bit...well...unsporting.
    The animal never has a chance unless you are a dithering idiot with a crap aim...now if you were to take a bear with a knife/sword i would consider that sporting.
    If you're talking about the hunters that put salt licks to get deer used to coming to a certain spot so they can shoot them from a blind I might agree there's no sport in that. I'd definitely disagree though that there's no sport in being able to stalk a deer and kill it cleanly without it getting away.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking of taking up hunting with all of the stupid-ass Deer around me running into traffic and making the roads dangerous. Though I'm not a huge fan of guns, so I might give a crossbow a try instead.