Poll: Do you support the continued englargement of the European Union?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    We'd all rule it. Oh, and about cultural homogenization, really, that's not a new thing. Most countries have lots of different cultures in them. Mine, for example, has only 4,3 million people yet it has 3 (or 4, depends on the way you look at it) distinct cultures, each having its own dialect which can't be understood by people of any other cultural group. Most people, though, speak a mix that can be understood, but the point is, this wouldn't be possible if it weren't for cultural homogenization. It's not a bad thing. It's an inevitable thing.

I don't think anybody should "rule" it, though it's probable that Germany would have the greatest power of all.

About the language, I also love my language, but I wouldn't be worried to lose it. Most young people (and in the west the old ones too) already speak English very well alongside their mother language, and yet the languages are not disappearing. Evolution of language and loaning new words is inevitable, anyway.

Also, I'm not sure where you are from, but look up National revivals / renaissances of various nations throughout Europe. For most Slavic nations, this happened in the 18th and 19th century, it's also happening now in Wales and somewhat in the Baltic states too, and I'm pretty sure many other nations will go through a revival in the future (native Americans, native Africans, etc when things get sorted out in these regions). It is possible to revive a language, shall it be necessary.

Of course Germany would have the greatest power and i don't want that.

I am, from Portugal, and Portuguese is one of the most beatiful languages in the world, it would be really sad to lose it.

About cultural homogenization i agree with you, Wikiy. You made a good point.

It's just a bit sad, after almost 1000 years of history if this would happen, all my grandchilds and their sons in a few decades would not know about Portugal and how we were small but fought for our country against, Spain, France, Roman Empire etc and we managed to secure our little corner and keep it to ourselves, free from others.

Oh, well, i guess it's for the best. Some generations would be sad but the others after would benefit from a united Europe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Britain should leave the EU, it is not benefiting us at all.
    This, I don't really care either way if the EU continues to grow, but as a UK citizen I'd rather my country was out of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xlightning View Post

I am, from Portugal, and Portuguese is one of the most beatiful languages in the world, it would be really sad to lose it.

About cultural homogenization i agree with you, Wikiy. You made a good point.

It's just a bit sad, after almost 1000 years of history if this would happen, all my grandchilds and their sons in a few decades would not know about Portugal and how we were small but fought for our country against, Spain, France, Roman Empire etc and we managed to secure our little corner and keep it to ourselves, free from others.

Oh, well, i guess it's for the best. Some generations would be sad but the others after would benefit from a united Europe.
    I seriously doubt that schools would stop teaching about the history of the member-state they would be situated in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    I seriously doubt that schools would stop teaching about the history of the member-state they would be situated in.
    Maybe you are right, but there's still the language loss and the almost for sure German dominance.

I can agree with Europe being a single country but if every state mantains his identity ( i think that what happens with USA states(?). It's sad to lose the language though. And i want English, not German to be the official language. And every state is indepedent to some extent and has his politics.

Deleted

I can agree with Europe being a single country but if every state mantains his identity ( i think that what happens with USA states(?). It's sad to lose the language though. And i want English, not German to be the official language. And every state is indepedent to some extent and has his politics.
    The member-states wouldn't accept it in any other way, think of it as 27 autonomous regions (like the two that we have here in Portugal) under a federal/confederal government.

I don't see the languages ever disappearing, they would still be taught at schools but there would be a much greater emphasis on English to ensure that communication is possible between the average citizen of each state.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    The member-states wouldn't accept it in any other way, think of it as 27 autonomous regions (like the two that we have here in Portugal) under a federal/confederal government.

I don't see the languages ever disappearing, they would still be taught at schools but there would be a much greater emphasis on English to ensure that communication is possible between the average citizen of each state.
    For some decades, but they would eventually be forgoten, the languages.

Anyway, that's far from happening, an European Union as a single country.

Deleted
    No, but would like to leave the Union as soon as humanly possible. That crapfest of moneyhording leeches should sent to the moon.

I think we will see French as the main language before we would see German. The French are much more picky about their language. Hense why a lot of European things already need to be in English as well as French.

10+ Year Old Account

There are ways around this. The US had similar concerns at the outset that the smaller less economically powerful states would lose their ability to have a voice in the larger nation. We created the Senate and the Electoral College specifically to deal with that issue (though I think the Electoral College is outdated and should go away). There are also separate state and federal laws, to allow states as much latitude as possible in how they want to govern themselves, while giving the federal government control over what happens between separate states.

As for maintaining culture, California's culture is pretty distinct from Texas Culture, which is distinct from Florida, Minnesota, New York, etc. You don't necessarily lose your culture just because you federalize.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-11-14 at 02:44 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The EU won't become a single country any time soon. But it won't fall apart either.
    The true purpose of the EU was, and still is, to create an unified Europe which is competitive with the big economic superpowers such as the USA, the ex-USSR and now China.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The EU won't become a single country any time soon. But it won't fall apart either.
    The true purpose of the EU was, and still is, to create an unified Europe which is competitive with the big economic superpowers such as the USA, the ex-USSR and now China.
    Well that and preventing more wars

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    I think we will see French as the main language before we would see German. The French are much more picky about their language. Hense why a lot of European things already need to be in English as well as French.
    I don't agree with this at all. German is the focus as a 2nd foreign language in most European countries. French may only be as popular as a foreign language with Britons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. German is the focus as a 2nd foreign language in most European countries. French may only be as popular as a foreign language with Britons.
    France, and French had it's time in the sun as a trade language, so did English and I suspect that China will never want to be extroverted enough to make Mandarin a trade language, so I reason all that's really left is German or possibly Russian.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.