10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Well if you want to talk about loot unluck, I've gotten a single trinket drop the entire expansion, and even that wasn't amazing (trinket off ToT Council).
    Heh, I know your pain.

So we've been trying the solo tank strat for heroic Thok. And I wanted to know if any of you have any tips for it?

Quite easy to solo tank. Make sure to run HA and just time you CDs to last throughout the phase(mainly the first phase on pull, this is the hardest part for solo tanking the rest can be done like its flex)

Around stack 2 just before 3 I DP, HA just before 4, guardian 6(carries over to 7) and AD, DP 8.

Use Focus shields, final wrath, DP for glyphs

Make sure to refresh that EF everytime you hit 5 basically during first phase to max your self healing so healers dont really have to watch you at all.

Make sure jailor is disarmed after first phase because you are taking 150-200% extra dmg. For Bat phase just have ranged cleave them down(we only do like 6-8stacks on boss on this phase)

Then ice phase its like the pull again except you have to bubble at 4 stacks and taunt so the 5th stack gets immuned then you can eat 4 more(if you get 5 just call for ranged to break you out)

Its quite easy really once you do it.

Aye, got some progression going and I was able to survive up to 27 stacks before wipe was called on p1. Have the cd rotation pretty much figured out. Thanks for the tip on the ice phase, hopefully we get a kill this monday.

10+ Year Old Account
    I survived up to 45 stacks once just for lols on a wipe try. It's hilarious what you can do when 4pc and DP proc a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethora View Post
    I survived up to 45 stacks once just for lols on a wipe try. It's hilarious what you can do when 4pc and DP proc a lot.
    Especially when Windsong procs and you can chain a ShoR with nearly 60% damage reduction for over half a minute.

Hi Everyone, Ive just started tanking normals with a new guild Ive joined and i want to try my best to do well for them, we got as far as galakras tonight but spent alot of time trying to down Nuroshen i am playing as our main tank so just wanted to know if there was any gearing advice from people on here.
    As i cant quite post links yet my paladins name is Chíckéen on ragnaros-eu.

Any tips would be greatly accepted, once i can post links i can provide more info

The link to your armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%A9en/advanced

Your biggest issue is a lack of innate haste on most of your pieces. You're also reforging out of expertise instead of dodge/parry on a few pieces, while well under 15% expertise. While 15% expertise isn't necessary, you'd get more useful stats by reforging out of d/p.

With your current gear, because you're so far below exp cap, and have so much gear with dodge and/or parry, you have to decide whether you are more interested in expertise cap (15%; 7.5% is the lowest you should ever go) or if you want more haste, and gem appropriately - currently your gems are all over the place, with a lot of quick gems (good), some random exp/haste gems (not bad, but not consistent), and a haste/stam gem (what?).

To put it in perspective, you have more health at 547 ilvl than I did at 557 (and only 40k less than I have at 565), due to your double stam trinkets and some of your gemming decisions (including some socket bonuses) - it's overkill, especially when you're just starting normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

I'm main spec ret, but my os is prot so naturally I'm the OT for Harom. My healers say my damage taken is very spiky. I have the logs for our attempts.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-xsbpxqfasus4l0xl/

I sat tonight because of server issues. Couldn't log in. 2 Guardian druids tanked Harom, and apparently they're damage intake was much more manageable.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Gachi/advanced

I go for as much haste as I can, but given most of the tank gear doesn't have it and the haste gear I do get is for my main spec, I gotta work with what I got.

Any tips for tanking this fight? I mean the only source of spike damage is the Frostorm Strike, and Divine Protection is great for that but its on a 30 second cd (ubs) and the strikes come in every 6s.

You don't need to mitigate the first 3 strikes with a cooldown. The ones that hurt are 4 and 5. You won't always take 5 but sometimes the other tanks stacks haven't dropped when you have 4.

If you time DP just before 4 it should cover 5 too. If not you have a cloak / AD / GoAK if you need it (or externals).

As long as your rotation is fine you should have a nice strong EF ticking and that should mitigate any spikiness.

Part of your problem is in 16 wipes you used DP 21 times and AD once. In your longest attempt which was nearly 7 minutes you used DP 3 times. Get into the habit of actually using DP to mitigate stacks 4/5 and you will see a big improvement.

As a minor pet peeve, stop using ES as a tank. Prism is far better and will heal you for a fair chunk if you time it after a big hit.

Quote Originally Posted by dagachi View Post
    I'm main spec ret, but my os is prot so naturally I'm the OT for Harom. My healers say my damage taken is very spiky. I have the logs for our attempts.

I sat tonight because of server issues. Couldn't log in. 2 Guardian druids tanked Harom, and apparently they're damage intake was much more manageable.

I go for as much haste as I can, but given most of the tank gear doesn't have it and the haste gear I do get is for my main spec, I gotta work with what I got.

Any tips for tanking this fight? I mean the only source of spike damage is the Frostorm Strike, and Divine Protection is great for that but its on a 30 second cd (ubs) and the strikes come in every 6s.
    Strikes do happen often, but there's no reason to use DP for early stacks. Maybe pop it right before the 3rd stack, so you'll also cover the 4th.

You've got 4piece so you'll have a free EF at 3+BoG stacks. Get hit by Froststorm, use EF. You'll also want to make sure SotR is up for FS, because that provides coverage against the melee swings before/after.

You could put on another stam trinket, too, since that's a good buffer for magic damage.

Quote Originally Posted by dagachi View Post

Look at your longest kill you had 46 Holy power not used on SotR, unless your EF the other tank cant think of anythign this would of been wasted on as shouldnt be uing EF at low bastion stacks anyway and 4set can cover all your EF. With WoG glyph get to 3 bastion and if you dont have a DP proc use Ef to try get one and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    As a minor pet peeve, stop using ES as a tank. Prism is far better and will heal you for a fair chunk if you time it after a big hit.
    No, no and no. With 4set EF can do exactly the same thing, while given u a dmg increase and a HoT - i haven't or wouldnt touch prism for prot atm, if you got time to push a button every 20 sec on top of your rotation at 20k ish haste id say your doing the rotation wrong.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybird View Post
    No, no and no. With 4set EF can do exactly the same thing, while given u a dmg increase and a HoT - i haven't or wouldnt touch prism for prot atm, if you got time to push a button every 20 sec on top of your rotation at 20k ish haste id say your doing the rotation wrong.
    Prism is still a great burst, high range raid heal on a fairly low cd.
    Light's Hammer is obviously great for when you need a big aoe damage/heal once per minute.
    Execution Sentence I feel lacks the utility and shouldn't be used unless you absolutely need the single target dps (Blackfuse add is about the only place I'd use it)

Deleted
    Use prism...

Exceptions: Fights where you can use LH good like Thok and Siegecrafter HC where you should use ES.
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2014-01-17 at 10:55 AM.

Since we're on the topic of t6 talents here's what I use:
    Immerseus: LH - works well against both p1 and p2 adds.
    Protectors: LH again since bosses as well as the raid are generally stacked up. Also works well in Sun's phase.
    Norushen: ES speeds up the add, but otherwise LH due to the raid being stacked.
    Sha: LH for small adds or 100 energy aoe - Prism has advantages because of possible range issues though.
    Galakras: LH timer seems to work well for pretty much everything here (including towers). Also great since the raid should be stacked up in p2.
    Juggernaut: Prism - can't really see the other talents working here.
    Shamans: Imo both LH and Prism have their uses here.
    Nazgrim: LH work well against the adds,..... too bad the adds spawn once every 50? seconds. Prism is probably best if your raid struggles with staying alive.
    Malkorok: Prism.
    Spoils: Prism unless you somehow manage to stack up for each boss.
    Thok: LH - no competition here.
    Siegecrafter: ES if you need it for the add - Prism otherwise.
    Paragons: Prism
    Garrosh: LH has some great uses here....(mc, p1 add spawns, non-empowered Whirlwind) too bad they're all on a ~50 sec timer - probably still take it over Prism though.

Seems like is unanimous, ES sucks except for one add on one HC fight. Prism is an amazing thing to talent except on a couple of select fights. If you aren't using it then you are doing your raid a disservice imo.

Deleted
    Seems like is unanimous, ES sucks except for one add on one HC fight. Prism is an amazing thing to talent except on a couple of select fights. If you aren't using it then you are doing your raid a disservice imo.
    Should be added that ES is only useful on Siegecrafter if you actually need it. I used Holy Prism for our kill since we had switched around so my co-tank took the first adds, which meant by the time I took an add, I had 5 stacks so I could easily burst it down without ES.

Although this is correct, never underestimate the strength of a LH as a raidcooldown at 200k+ vengeance.

I was wondering, how good or bad is it to use the healing AMP trinket? I currently have the heroic Sha amp trinket, and I don't have Thok's trinket (yet). prot is my offspec, and I've noticed the AMP does work, just the proc is useless. Is it viable to use it or should I stick to something else? Talking about the last 3 normal fights here + hc shamans and the odd heroic kill.

current trinkets: Feather, Spark, 574 healing amp, stam trinket from garrosh(normal).
    Lilaith, resident flamer for Winterfall, holy moderator in Hammer of Wrath.
    Discord: Lilaith#9028
    Bnet: Lilaith#2476

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Viriel View Post
    I was wondering, how good or bad is it to use the healing AMP trinket? I currently have the heroic Sha amp trinket, and I don't have Thok's trinket (yet). prot is my offspec, and I've noticed the AMP does work, just the proc is useless. Is it viable to use it or should I stick to something else? Talking about the last 3 normal fights here + hc shamans and the odd heroic kill.

current trinkets: Feather, Spark, 574 healing amp, stam trinket from garrosh(normal).
    The healing amp trinket is every bit as good as Thok's, if not better in high-vengeance situations. The amp is exactly the same, and while you cannot gain AP from the int trinket proc, the str proc's contribution to AP is negligeable in all but very low-vengeance situations. The int proc, on the other hand, increases your spell crit by a non-insignificant amount (5-10%, IIRC), which arguably makes it even stronger than Thok's in high-vengeance situations.